Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #61
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Harry, the OS seemingly is also outsourced to the SD card on the txtr, since the txtr boots from the SD card ... there's just 64 MByte of SDRAM on the device. Nothing else.

With a defective SD slot this device is just a piece of electronic junk.

Last edited by K-Thom; 10-18-2009 at 10:04 AM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #62
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well with a defective sceen it is also a piece of junk just like any other reader,there is also critical components but I at least has never had a card reader breakdown.

I rather have a SD card OS than a internal OS with a limited space, there might be so many things we can do now that could have been impossible if the space for the OS was to limited!

Sure there might be some dissadvantages but there is also advantages with this solution, we havent tried it yet but as far as I can say it seems to be a pretty good idea.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
well with a defective sceen it is also a piece of junk just like any other reader,there is also critical components but I at least has never had a card reader breakdown.

I rather have a SD card OS than a internal OS with a limited space, there might be so many things we can do now that could have been impossible if the space for the OS was to limited!

Sure there might be some dissadvantages but there is also advantages with this solution, we havent tried it yet but as far as I can say it seems to be a pretty good idea.
I agree. It seems to be a very clever idea.

Also I think you should look at the SD card in the reader as an SD card in a phone. That is a permanent storage that you do not replace very often.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #64
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Also I think you should look at the SD card in the reader as an SD card in a phone. That is a permanent storage that you do not replace very often.
One of the main assets of the txtr (given by the company itself) is to switch between different installations whenever you like. Something you usually don't do with your mobile phone.

So, what do you think, how much sense does an open architecture make if just a minority of users will ever use it? Besides hordes of programmers, I mean.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #65
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
So, what do you think, how much sense does an open architecture make if just a minority of users will ever use it? Besides hordes of programmers, I mean.
An extremely lot of sense. New functionality will be developed that everybody will use.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #66
BlueMonkey
Evangelist
BlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it isBlueMonkey knows what time it is

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Nexus S
Quote:
One of the main assets of the txtr (given by the company itself) is to switch between different installations whenever you like. Something you usually don't do with your mobile phone.
Well, that's aimed for developers - and txtr with their open architecture approach aim for developers. The normal user won't ever change his microSD card - as you probably never do with your mobile phone.

Quote:
No one forces the owner to use these possibilities. An 60-year-old will probably never think of open architecture - that's why txtr does concentrate on the "Easy Tec"-Experience in the beginning. Everyone who wants "more" has the possibility to add new features via the open architecture - so everyone is served
BlueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #67
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Ho yes, that's a really bad thing to only boot from SD card. You need to use another card ? Ho wait, I need to install Linux on it before showing you the marvelous photo you do. And I need to reformat it before because it only work with a specially formated SD card.

By the way Harry, I don't know about the DR1000, but the Illiad doesn't need a SD/MMC/CompactFlash card to boot.

And I don't says that devices should not let you boot from an external media (SD/MMC/CF...) but that the main OS should be in internal memory.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote