Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #481
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
@Ken Maltby

I've tried latest nightly (494), I'll try to install the previous version of fmon from the All in one package.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #482
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
@Ken Maltby

I've tried latest nightly (494), I'll try to install the previous version of fmon from the All in one package.
If you could just stick to the process as described, it would have more meaning, we are trying to see if the "1 Step Hack" then the current build overwrite/merge (the current one is 494) can work on all the Kobo devices. If not, then on which ones does it work. If you only do part of the process or change it in some way, it will be harder to be sure what is working and what is not. You can certainly make any changes afterwards, or not bother with this at all, I just don't want to mislead the Touch users about the results, because I have the wrong idea of what was done.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #483
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Build 494 is working on my Mini almost perfectly. The only serious issue is the missing suspend function - I hope it'll be implented again in the near future.

As a Paperwhite user I'm a CoolReader fan and I was sceptical about Koreader, but I'm really impressed now. Koreader makes the difference, using it the Kobo Mini has turned into a useful daily e-reader from the cute toy it was before.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #484
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I won't be a good tester as I'm using a beta version of Kobo firmware.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #485
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
Build 494 is working on my Mini almost perfectly. The only serious issue is the missing suspend function - I hope it'll be implented again in the near future.

As a Paperwhite user I'm a CoolReader fan and I was sceptical about Koreader, but I'm really impressed now. Koreader makes the difference, using it the Kobo Mini has turned into a useful daily e-reader from the cute toy it was before.
It may be worth noting that Koreader uses the cr3engine for a number of the formats it renders.

I think Giorgio has been locked in an Italian Villa, hard at work on the suspend/sleep issue, it shouldn't be too long now.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #486
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I don't have a Glo but this is supposed to work with that as well;

First Install Markismus "1 Step Hack"
Ken
Well I was trying this...but I put the thing in the wrong folder. Now it's sitting on the screen with the 5 dots. Will it recover eventually?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #487
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I think Giorgio has been locked in an Italian Villa, hard at work on the suspend/sleep issue, it shouldn't be too long now.
forgive the naive question, what does this missing bit imply for koreader's functionality?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #488
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok the home screen will come up, but it won't connect to windows. Do I need to flash a new image? I am going to try factory reset now.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #489
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well I was trying this...but I put the thing in the wrong folder. Now it's sitting on the screen with the 5 dots. Will it recover eventually?
The "KoboRoot.tgz" in the .kobo folder process is very powerful, but I don't know if the bootloader looks for it anywhere else, so putting it anywhere but in the .kobo folder wouldn't get it to function, I think.

Did you follow Maxismus's directions in the RAR file?

The "Main Directory" is the one that you get to after you open the KOBOeReader drive on your PC.

Be sure to follow the steps to safely eject your device and disconnect the USB cable, after copying the .png files to the main directory. Then allowing your device to process the new .png files so that you see them on your home page. After that you reconnect the USB cable and click on "connect". Then you can copy the KoboRoot.tgz to your .kobo folder/directory. Then safely eject the device and disconnect the USB cable. You should then see the "Updating" screen and message, on your device. This can take some time and then you should see it restart with the dancing squares.

Luck;
Ken

If you do a factory restore, don't forget to update your firmware before the "1 Step Hack"

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #490
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
forgive the naive question, what does this missing bit imply for koreader's functionality?
Without it the IR emitters remain powered waiting for a finger poke. While it's not much, it is a slight drain on the power. It is also good to have if you want to clean something off the screen, without turning pages or opening menus. It has no effect on reading your ebooks, as far as I know.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #491
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Without it the IR emitters remain powered waiting for a finger poke. While it's not much, it is a slight drain on the power. It is also good to have if you want to clean something off the screen, without turning pages or opening menus. It has no effect on reading your ebooks, as far as I know.

Luck;
Ken
thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #492
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Without suspend mode (as Ken Maltby said before) the active IR sensors are waiting for finger (or any other) pokes, so you can't slip the device into your pocket or carry in a sleeve because of accidental page turns.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #493
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The "KoboRoot.tgz" in the .kobo folder process is very powerful, but I don't know if the bootloader looks for it anywhere else, so putting it anywhere but in the .kobo folder wouldn't get it to function, I think.

Did you follow Maxismus's directions in the RAR file?

The "Main Directory" is the one that you get to after you open the KOBOeReader drive on your PC.

Be sure to follow the steps to safely eject your device and disconnect the USB cable, after copying the .png files to the main directory. Then allowing your device to process the new .png files so that you see them on your home page. After that you reconnect the USB cable and click on "connect". Then you can copy the KoboRoot.tgz to your .kobo folder/directory. Then safely eject the device and disconnect the USB cable. You should then see the "Updating" screen and message, on your device. This can take some time and then you should see it restart with the dancing squares.

Luck;
Ken

If you do a factory restore, don't forget to update your firmware before the "1 Step Hack"
What I did was put it in the root of the kobo instead of the .kobo

I had to do a factory reset. It updated me to 2.8.1 during the process. (I will most likely go back to 2.6.1). I am not sure that I will attempt hacking my kobo again. It was working fine for my needs....so I need to leave it alone
Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #494
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Installing the "1 Step Hack" with the Koreader is only an addition to what you have as the standard Kobo software. The regular software continues to work just as it always has. But I am not now sure that it is working on the Glo or the Touch.

Perhaps another Glo owner will give it a try, sometime.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #495
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well I might try again, but not today. Reloading 2.6.1 and my font now. And books.