Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
idk
idk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Nook or Kindle!

So i was unlucky enough to purchase a kindle last week. A birthday gift for myslef. I love it and have read 2 books already but with this crazy price drop im 100% sure that I'm returning it.

My question is.. should i stick with the kindle or get the $149 nook? How does the speed of the nook compare with the kindle? I really love the look and aesthetic of the nook but if the touch screen is not easy to use then I see no reason getting it.

How is the dictionary on the nook? The kindle dictionary is by far my favorite feature. The fact that I can just scroll down on a word with the toggle and get a definition all without leaving the page is a minor but very critical feature for me.

Any suggestions?
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The Kindle's dictionary is a lot easier to use than the Nook's. With the nook you have to go through several menu options to make highlights and notes, and the Nook's dictionary takes you out of the book, as opposed to the Kindle's little two line summary on the bottom of the page. Also, I've heard that the Nook's dictionary can't find words so often because of the tense, like if the word is Combusted, it won't find it in the dictionary because it won't look for Combust. This might have changed in one of the last few softwre updates though.

The Nook and Kindle's speed while reading should be about even, but doing anything else, looking up words in the dictionary, making notes/highlights and even FINDING those notes and highlights takes a lot longer on the Nook due to the interface: Nook: (A>a1>a3>B2=Make a highlight) Kindle (A>B=Make a Higjlight). I definitely prefer my Kindles. With the Kindle, making notes and bookmarks is a breeze. On the nook, I found it a chore- I found myself just not wanting to bother.

Even with the nook updates, the fact that the e-ink screen is always playing catch up to the small LCD on the bottom is something that I had to really fight to ignore.

Also, if you call Amazon, they will give you a seventy dollar refund on the price difference for the Kindle you bought last week.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by Anarel; 06-22-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think you are slightly exagaratting with the whole a +a1 + bi etc. It's actually quite easym you hit highlight or Notes, not all these extra hoops ect. I own one I know.

The "find" button is right on the screen when you are reading as is highlights and notes.
The lcd screen, when you are reading has "
find,,
go to,
booksmarks,
font,
highlights and notes,
look up word and
open audio Player

on it's page right below what you are reading.

No Hoops, no strings, NO runs no drips no errors.

I dont know why Kindle fans exagerrate this. Its all on the same page.

The one thing you did correctly portray is yes the dictionary does take you a different screen.

and again another HUGE exagaration by Kindles fans is the the two screens working together, Its fine, maybe a 1/10th of second behind. Nothing to FIGHT through

but what you should do is go to your local Barnes and Noble and play around with one and see you like it.

Actually the touchscreen navigation was a big selling point over the antiquated navigation style of the Kindle.

We are halfway through 2010 and the kindle uses a joystick to navigate?

Last edited by boswd; 06-22-2010 at 12:47 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Go with Kindle unless you plan on getting the $149 Nook.
I love the Kindle because they've got an amazing selection of books, often times at the cheapest price. Yes, Nook looks better, but it's about reading. I also love the dictionary on the Kindle. If you've already got a Kindle, keep it. And yes, also get that refund for $70.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Tialis
Tialis began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have another question about this subject... both screens are of the same size¿? i dont know which should i buy... and the difference is quite small, so i just want to buy the best one..

Appart from the screen, i would like to know if you can load books that you have on your computer (legally books of course, with open copyright) or they have something like a own format that only allows you to use the books from their book store...

Thank you for your help!
Tialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tialis View Post
I have another question about this subject... both screens are of the same size¿? i dont know which should i buy... and the difference is quite small, so i just want to buy the best one..

Appart from the screen, i would like to know if you can load books that you have on your computer (legally books of course, with open copyright) or they have something like a own format that only allows you to use the books from their book store...

Thank you for your help!
Both use a 6" Viziplex eInk screen.

You can "sideload" books via USB to both of them. The primary format for Nook would be ePub (or eReader PDB) the primary format for Kindle would be Mobi/prc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Easy one for me. I like the Nook's LCD navigation than the keyboard, and that epub format as opposed to Kindle's proprietary format. The other thing is $150 for the wifi version of Nook is icing on the cake, since 3G is nearly useless for me (but YMMV).
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Tialis

But for example, if i have a .doc i can load it in both of them¿? or is there any kind of program to convert those files?

Thank you!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tialis View Post
But for example, if i have a .doc i can load it in both of them¿? or is there any kind of program to convert those files?

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure neither Kindle or nook read .doc natively. But for either one conversion should be easy enough. You just need Calibre. (which has it's own forum on MR, even. ) Though Amazon will convert things for you, either for a small fee (where it gets delivered to the device via whispernet) or the free kindle email address, where you just get it in an email. I think this is correct - someone might want to confirm, though.

I personally prefer epub books (nook uses them) and that the nook has expandable memory via a card (microSD) so you don't really need worry about running out of space if you keep a large library.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Tialis

Thanks a lot!! Calibre is just a program you can use for converting files to the extensions alllowed then? and to convert jpegs to the extension allowed is the same program¿? I just want to make sure that i buy the right one!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You can find out about calibre on it's forum here or the website: http://calibre-ebook.com/ It's an ebook managment system, with more than a few helpful features (such as converting ebook formats).

Calibre is free.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
I agree. Calibre is an amazing program that performs solidly for most of my ebook conversion needs.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Tialis

Ok, thanks a lot for all your help!! i think i will buy a nook... i dont really mind in small differences about the dictionary and stuff.. if i can read thats all i want! and if they have the screen of the same size.. i will choose the cheapest and its done... :P

Thanks for the fast answers too!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
As far as I know calibre does not support .doc. But you can easily save the document as rtf or another format calibre supports.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
Tialis - The Kindle refurb is only $139.99, $10 cheaper than the nook.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, nook