Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
logan
logan doesn't litterlogan doesn't litter

Device: pocketbook 360
Pocketbook dictionary

Hi,

I was wondering what is the dictionary format used in pocketbook?
The videos show only an english dictionary, is there any chance to set another dictionary language?
It would be terrific to load wiktionary.org archive on pocketbook.

Regards,

Matthieu
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
The videos show only an english dictionary, is there any chance to set another dictionary language?
It would be terrific to load wiktionary.org archive on pocketbook.
You can download one of the dictionaries here
http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.n...urcecode.shtml

If I remember correctly, there was discussion here:
http://translate.google.com/translat...m.php%3Ff%3D32
about the dictionary being in some open format. There are also some links to dictionaries.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
KievNYC
KievNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook301+
Go to:
http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=200
and use Google tolbar translate to translate page. You can find:
[PocketBook 301 plus - Standard] -- Dictionaries, Part 1

[PocketBook 301 plus - Standard] -- Converter Dictionary
I also will recomend Pocketbook forum:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewf...0a035472200415
KievNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
SciFiFan
Connoisseur
SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SciFiFan once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PocketBook 360° (silbrig-weiss)
I don't know how to handle wiktionary.org, it's an online Wiki, not a downloadable dictionary. But you can use one of the free dictionaries from www.freelang.net . Here are the instructions to convert them to the PocketBook format. I have used this method successfully for an English-German dictionary.

1. Get a dictionary from www.freelang.net and install it somewhere. This will give you one or two files with extension .wb.

2. Get the Tool freelang2txt: http://3ppc.net/Users/SiD/freelang2txt.zip

3. Unpack it to the same directory as the dictionaries, then run
freelang2txt English-German.wb English-German.txt
(you need to change the names depending on the used dictionary)

4. Get the PocketBook converter: http://pocketbook.com.ua/file/DictionaryConverter.zip

5. Unpack it with all subdirs to the same directory as the dictionaries

6. Run
converter.exe English_German.txt eng

The "eng" subdir contains instructions on how to handle things like singular/plural, and the keyboard layout for the PocketBook keyboard. You will need to edit it if the source language is different from English.
SciFiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan View Post
I don't know how to handle wiktionary.org, it's an online Wiki, not a downloadable dictionary.
There is some kind of downloadable version.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Help_talk:FAQ#DVD.3F

I will have a look what can be done with it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I'll put all available dictionaries at our US website. Tomorrow... or the day after tomorrow....
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
^^ that would be great! thanks.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
I'll put all available dictionaries at our US website. Tomorrow... or the day after tomorrow....
You should have said "next Monday".

"next Monday", "soon", and "very soon" are very well established and very popular terms here, especially when it comes to promising features, updates and files available for download.
We have devoted entire threads with no less than 700 posts to discussions what exactly "next Monday" means ;-)
Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

)))))) actually, I'm not a 'manyana-person', I just couldn't do it today, because I was driving all day... it's kind of not very comfortable to upload smth on your website while driving on NJ Tpk))
Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You should have said "next Monday".

"next Monday", "soon", and "very soon" are very well established and very popular terms here, especially when it comes to promising features, updates and files available for download.
We have devoted entire threads with no less than 700 posts to discussions what exactly "next Monday" means ;-)

Let me be the one who'll break these "next Monday" rules))) - as promised, some dictionaries are there, on http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Downloads.html, as well as converter for dictionaries, latest firmware for PB301+ and some themes.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nice on Yar...folks around here are not used to reader mfgs actually delivering on promises. Careful or you will make the other guys look really bad.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
nice on Yar...folks around here are not used to reader mfgs actually delivering on promises. Careful or you will make the other guys look really bad.
LOL))) I'm trying my best...)))
Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
LOL))) I'm trying my best...)))
well, you BETTER...cuz if you scew up....hehehehe....well, just don't...

Seriously thought, it is very nice to have a company do things right, from day one. I think everyone appreciates a company they can take at their word as well as one who takes to time to ensure things are done right.

brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
bjrnfrdnnd
Connoisseur
bjrnfrdnnd began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360˚
dictionary

Is there any way to actually get something like the oxford or merriam webster dictionary into the pocketbook format? I mean, no translation, but actually explanation of words?
bjrnfrdnnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrnfrdnnd View Post
Is there any way to actually get something like the oxford or merriam webster dictionary into the pocketbook format? I mean, no translation, but actually explanation of words?
Yes, absolutely. I do have some of them (webster, collins and oxford) running on my PB. To tell you the truth, somebody sent me those dictionaries and I jsut drag-and-dropped them to my PB.
Maybe, Forosigan can explain this better, how it works.