Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will JK Rowling eventually cave and allow ebooks of the Harry Potter series?
Yes, eventually 116 65.17%
No, never 44 24.72%
Other 18 10.11%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
She is worth over a billion dollars. I dont think she has to care or cave.
I'm not worth anywhere near that... and I don't care either.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
I don't care either way

For me there are always new and interesting ebooks to catch my interest, and a boatload of classics and public domain stuff to keep me busy for several lifetimes. Harry Potter is in no way a must-have series, they were fine to read one time (free from the library) but why sweat it? If or when they are available in ebook format and I am still in the mood, I would STILL wait for a bargain basement sale or 100% micropay at fictionwise or similar.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #33
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Whoo, finally, Book eight! In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart!
Are you sure you're not meaning Harry Pocket?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #34
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies
With any popular books, you can be pretty well assured that they have gone through multiple versions and multiple people making corrections to and republishing the material. That's why some random stranger on the street told me that if I did ever decide to look at books like that (not that I would) you would find them with revision numbers like v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, etc. as people made tweaks to them.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #35
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Whoo, finally, Book eight! In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart!
Book nine: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Paper Novels.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, I found some html of the english version, first thing I opened in sigil.

I'll glally pay the day the officals e-books comes around, until then...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I love this topic

pdurrant
Harry Potter and the Unauthorised Ebooks

K-Thom
Harry Potter and the Unauthorised Ebooks
In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart

Logseman
Harry Pocket

MJK2111
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Paper Novels
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am just curious about this. I kind of want the Harry Potter series in ebook, but not enough to scan them in myself from paper and proof them (or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies). I know JK Rowling is opposed to ebooks, but I am wondering if she really does plan to hold out forever. You think she'll cave, eventually?
If you look at the reasons she has given for this in the past, it's pretty clear that she doesn't understand technology and is afraid of it. The word "Luddite" has been used, and is probably accurate in her case.

Given that, and the fact that she has tons of money she's already made off of this franchise, probably means that she doesn't care if she's losing any money by not selling eBooks. I don't expect her stance to change any time soon.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We may not agree with her stance on the issue, but the choice is hers to make.
Nobody ever said it wasn't.

Then again, nobody ever says the choice isn't hers every time you bring this up.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #40
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I did hear on the grapevine that some keen readers got a rather curt "You have been naughty" email from a snooper agency after they "obtained" HP ebooks from the darknet.
They were probably re-distributing them. Theoretically, if you download without re-sharing, these "snooper agencies" will never know.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You are stressing it so hard, as if anybody is trying to force her.
He says the exact same thing every time the HP series comes up on here.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #42
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not worth anywhere near that... and I don't care either.

BOb
People who start out with next to nothing sometimes never feel really secure, no matter how much they have later. If that's the case, there's always a chance that her attitude toward ebooks will change when the HP books are no longer raking it in hand over fist, especially if any subsequent books of hers don't meet with the same success. But I've already read the HP series, so it's hard for me to care much either.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
People who start out with next to nothing sometimes never feel really secure, no matter how much they have later. If that's the case, there's always a chance that her attitude toward ebooks will change when the HP books are no longer raking it in hand over fist, especially if any subsequent books of hers don't meet with the same success. But I've already read the HP series, so it's hard for me to care much either.
I think she has way too much to worry.

Didn't she donate 100% of the proceeds of The Tales of Beedle the Bard to charity.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The pre-store version was, umm, not up to normal ebook quality standards. Not even for darknet editions. See attached image.

The "carpet edition" was probably the only way to have it accepted, though, because several novel-length fanfics had been grabbed, retitled "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows," and uploaded to torrent and filesharing sites. It'd take photos, not OCR'd pages, to convince people it was real.

People who'd bought three or four copies (one for themselves, one for each child in the house, one for a friend) downloaded the carpet edition in order to read it before sales started, so they could go online that day without the risk of jerks announcing who dies before they got the chance to read it.
All I can say is that I saw the lrf version of it on a Sony Reader while I was waiting in line for the witching hour to hit and B&N to break open the boxes. It looked very well done, with no obvious errors and the parts that I looked at were exactly what I read a bit later in the hard back version. My understanding is that a group of readers took the pictures, split them up and OCR'ed them. When you have enough people involved it can be done very fast and quite accurate. It's a lot easier to have 100 people proof reading 10 pages each. The person who had it, also bought a book, so it wasn't like she lost a sale, but it does illustrate my point that any book that people want is out there on the dark net and if it's popular enough, odds are it may be better proofed than the official version.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #45
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Her opinion of ebooks has been made clear many times (I believe she even wrote most if not all the books with pen and paper?), so the Luddite claim is probably valid too.

Having said that, I think she'll give in eventually, if only to continue her revenue stream as ebooks claim larger and larger shares of the market.

In the meantime, there's plenty of VERY good fan fiction out there set in the HP universe. Some is a lot better than JKR's writing, in my opinion.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote