Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Calibre won't open since updating

Hi, I updated Calibre to the latest version the day before yesterday. The first time I opened the program it worked fine, but since then I have been unable to open the program - when I double click on the icon, it says it is opening, but nothing happens. The computer doesn't crash etc, just nothing happens.

I tried re-installing the new version, and installing the old version, and in both cases I was able to use the program once, and then not again. I am using Mac OX10.5.8, any ideas?
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try launching it from a terminal.app by running the command

calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
bobsi18
Enthusiast

When I try and open from the terminal (using: open /Applications/calibre.app), I get the following error:

Quote:
LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/calibre.app.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And what output is present in Console.app when you try to launch calibre?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
This has a happened a few times on my Mac OS X 10.5.8 as well. I had to delete the preference folder in the library and delete net.kovidgoyal.calibre.plist, then do a fresh install. Calibre usually works after that.

Is there a better solution?
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I need the output from console.app to be able to tell you more.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
nopanic
nopanic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
console Output

OS X 10.5.8 same problem here, i think. Since Version 0.6.19. 0.6.18 worked fine. Console output

24.10.09 11:11:34 [0x0-0x4f04f].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[497] Unknown option: -p
24.10.09 11:11:34 [0x0-0x4f04f].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[497] usage: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
24.10.09 11:11:34 [0x0-0x4f04f].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[497] Try `python -h' for more information.
24.10.09 11:11:34 com.apple.launchd[99] ([0x0-0x4f04f].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[497]) Exited with exit code: 2

Oh, and removing the preferences didn't help, launching from the terminal helped, output:
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
but the program starts fine from the terminal, but not by doubleclicking

Last edited by nopanic; 10-24-2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: more info
nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's just weird. Try editing the file

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Info.plist

ina text edirot

Find the line
<key>argv_emulation</key>

and change the next line from <true/> to <false/>
Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Also it would be helpful if you could attach the file

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Info.plist

here. As far as I know, that error will only occur if this file has been corrupted.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
nopanic

i've changed Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Info.plist, but calibre still starts only from the terminal. You can find the Info.plist attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Info.plist.zip (1.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, I'm at a loss. The Console output indicates that the launched executable is /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python

However, the Info.plist file correctly specifies /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre as the executable that should be launched. So I have no idea why Launch Services is launching python instead of calibre.

Try renaming /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python to /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python.disable
Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
nopanic

I've redownloaded Calibre 0.6.19 and the redownloaded Version launches fine, i've even restarted the computer just to be on the safe side. Everything works as it should! Great, but strange.
Thanks for your help and for making such a useful program
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
bobsi18
Enthusiast

I just wanted to say that my version is working again as well - reading the replies here, I realised that I hadn't been fully uninstalling the program, just dropping over the top of the old copy. So I did a full uninstall, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled calibre. It seems to be all good again
Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
martin-a
martin-a began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, this all kind of worked. Redownload, delete old install, install. All is fine. Now comes 0.6.20. Delete old install, copy in new version, start-up works only once. Tried the same with coping over. Same problem. Re-download (mind you, the verification before was fine). Install after delete. Now I could start-up 3x. So, at best, this is a workaround, something seems to be a bit flaky.
martin-a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
alinp
alinp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same problem here (OSX 10.5.8) I renamed python in .../Contents/MacOS/ and tried to start in Terminal. Here is the error I got in Terminal:

LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/calibre.app.

and here is the error I got in system.log:

Nov 14 13:43:40 AlinsMacBookPro com.apple.launchd[115] ([0x0-0xec0ec].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[3955]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python", ...): No such file or directory
Nov 14 13:43:40 AlinsMacBookPro com.apple.launchd[115] ([0x0-0xec0ec].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[3955]): Exited with exit code: 1

does this help? BTW...many thanks for all your hard work on this great program!
alinp is offline   Reply With Quote