Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No Sony Reader Pocket Edition for France and Germany?

So says Teleread:
Quote:
Sony announced today that the Sony Reader Touch Edition will be available in France in November 09 for 299ˆ, only in black and red. The Sony Reader Pocket Edition will not be released in France but the PRS-505 will stay available.
A commenter added:
Quote:
Same situation in germany: Touch Edition will rollout in october for 300 euro, prs-505 stays in the stores (250 euro). No word about the pocket edition yet.
Interestingly, German and French manuals for PRS-300 are already available.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, pffff. why the delay ? why not all models everywhere ?? really, i don't understand sony's strategy. although i suppose having the 505 available at a (slightly) lower price is nice, still, it seems a bit strange to have this fragmented and incoherent launch. luckily, french people who want a 5" device can get an opus. thanks for the news igorsk ; i've been checking the french sonystyle site daily for news of the new models and it's been very frustrating to see NOTHING. at least now we know the touch edition is coming, at least.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Also, the 300 has French and German menu options, and sample books in these languages pre-loaded! (Also Dutch)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Also, the 300 has French and German menu options, and sample books in these languages pre-loaded! (Also Dutch)
well that just makes it even more nonsensical ! unless they'll launch it later than the 600 ? but why wait ? the dutch makes sense though ; if i've understood correctly, the bol site is launching their ebook section now with both models available.

out of curiosity, what french sample books were loaded ?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The Three Muskateers, for one.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The French Books are: Le Rouge et le Noir and Les Trois mousquetaires. The display is amazing. I am able to read a PDF comic on it.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, pffff. why the delay ?
This is a wild guess, but Sony might, just might, have a big stock of 505's flashed with European firmware in its stores/distribution channels. Other than that, I can't see the reason for prs300 launch delay.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
This is a wild guess, but Sony might, just might, have a big stock of 505's flashed with European firmware in its stores/distribution channels. Other than that, I can't see the reason for prs300 launch delay.
Yes, that's my thought too... As there never was a Dutch versio of the 505, there also was no stock to get rid off...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The 505 has only been out about 6 months in germany and the pricing was worse than that of the uk, so it wouldn't be that surprising for there to be a fair amount of unsold stock out there.

It does make you wonder why they didn't cut prices a bit sooner to get stock moving and also generate some more buzz about ebooks.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The French Books are: Le Rouge et le Noir and Les Trois mousquetaires. The display is amazing. I am able to read a PDF comic on it.
thank you. and that's great to hear about the display !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
It does make you wonder why they didn't cut prices a bit sooner to get stock moving and also generate some more buzz about ebooks.
yes, this is a good point. in france at least, the 505 has been on sale at a reduced price (i think it was down to 220€) for some time now, several weeks, perhaps even a couple of months. so it's possible they are trying to clear out the stock they have on hand already. although i don't see why they couldn't release the 300 in addition ; i suspect there would be a market for both devices, since they are not quite the same, particularly if the price is different.

i have been thinking about this though and now i wonder whether the delay on release of the 600 is to prepare a french dictionary which is not available on the current models. this would make a lot of sense.

igorsk, if they do make a french model with a french dictionary, what are the chances that this dictionary could somehow be added to non-french 600s, preferably in addition to the english dictionaries ? with a firmware updater of some sort ?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't say much until I get a device in my hands, or a firmware dump...
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I can't say much until I get a device in my hands, or a firmware dump...
so, ah, when will that be, exactly ?
Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard

Well, I hope I can find some in Netherlands next weekend.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

great news ! i hope you find some too. let us know !