Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
pengrus
Enthusiast
pengrus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Help: Best way to read Chinese file on Kindle

Hope I am not cross posting. Could any Kindle gurus share how to prepare Chinese file to read on Kindle 2?

Many thanks!
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
been a long time since you posted the question,
but facing the same problem today I searched a little bit for it.

It doesnt seem to me that chinese is supported (natively).

You could install the hack described here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43998) but I preferred not to (a bit complicated when Amazon tries to upgrade the firmware after you installed it, so it seems).

I heard the <new> kindle should support it.

Last, I just verified that the best way - for me - is to output your chinese text to PDF: in a DX it looks perfect, dont know on smaller screens.

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
you could also try the alternative duokan's firmware
-> http://www.duokan.com/viewthread.php...ge%3D1&page=30
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
btw, those speaking Chinese, could you clarify if the English interface for the duokan's firmware is in the works?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
rockjian
rockjian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
From my experience, the easiest way is to convert the file into PDF format.
rockjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjian View Post
From my experience, the easiest way is to convert the file into PDF format.
Right, and for more wysiwyg workflow, define a Kindle-sized page before generating the PDF. Don't worry about margins, Kindle will trim them off if they are there.

The new Kindle should allow reflow and resizing of the text, but we'll have to see how well that works. Obviously search, dictionary, annotation are still Latin-locked features.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I read somewhere that the new kindle with pearl screen actually supports Chinese (both simplified and traditional) natively now.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I read somewhere that the new kindle with pearl screen actually supports Chinese (both simplified and traditional) natively now.
"now", as in when the next Kindle ships. We'll see what, if anything, gets back ported to K2/DX
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
fm3221
fm3221 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipad
it doesn't seem to work on the Kindle 3 either. Some of the characters are being replaced by squares. Hope I can find a workaround w/o hacking soon.
fm3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
mopaston
mopaston began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2I
Easy way: convert to PDF
Complex way: install unicode hack and convert to PRC or MOBI
mopaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopaston View Post
Easy way: convert to PDF
My converted pdf only display the first 14-15 pages somehow. The rest of the pages are blank. Not sure why.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm3221 View Post
it doesn't seem to work on the Kindle 3 either. Some of the characters are being replaced by squares. Hope I can find a workaround w/o hacking soon.
Same "squares" here. Let me know if you find a way without hacking. I tried Pdf, PRC, TXT, Mobi. None is working.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
newbie5
newbie5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
My converted pdf only display the first 14-15 pages somehow. The rest of the pages are blank. Not sure why.

================

to ppw: I ran into the same problem, have you found a solution? thank you
newbie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #14
porkbarrel
porkbarrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a text-based PDF article in Chinese that I tried to view on Kindle DX. Most of the text displays but some parts just show up as blank. The blanked out parts seem to be due their formatting: they are paragraphs with fatter margins than the rest of the text.
porkbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
One way you can work around this is by converting to an image based PDF formatted for the screen size of the Kindle. Japanese users made a program which does this in for Japanese texts, allowing them to format text vertically.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote