Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Find and replace stopped working

So I'm trying to figure out what I"m doing wrong. Find and Replace just stopped working, it won't replace anything.

I'm putting in this:

Quote:
<p class="calibre4"><span class="calibre7">2</span></p>
And I want to increase the number for chapters, so I'm putting this in the Find and Replace box in REGEX:

Quote:
<p class="calibre4"><span class="calibre7">(\d+)</span></p> -- I've done this with and without parentheses
Then replacing with:

Quote:
<h2 align="center">\1</h2> -- I've also tried the other slash, number first as well as behind
Any thoughts as to why it won't replace anything?

Thanks!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Check that you've selected "regular expression" for the "Search mode", in the search/replace dialog ... in "normal" or "wildcard" mode, what you want to do doesn't work
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
DOH!! Yeah, thanks alot...I forgot the check the "more options" button
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
DOH!! Yeah, thanks alot...I forgot the check the "more options" button
Don't feel bad.
I spent 10 minutes 'fixing' my search only to I was set to Normal (and I leave the options showing)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
While we're here....@Valloric, is there any plan to/progress toward/whatever to switching Sigil to PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression)? It just still flakes, or isn't quite as robust as one could hope, as-is....just askin', and if there's an issue on this, I didn't see it, sorry.

best,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
While we're here....@Valloric, is there any plan to/progress toward/whatever to switching Sigil to PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression)? It just still flakes, or isn't quite as robust as one could hope, as-is....just askin', and if there's an issue on this, I didn't see it, sorry.
There's a plan in place to do it, and an issue to boot. But there are just so many other issues that I find more important than this one...

I keep telling people, it's triage. Yes, your issue is a "broken leg", but the other guy's issue is "head keeps falling off" and that has to take priority.

If I had more time/people... Did I mention that I wasn't planning on being the only guy working on Sigil two years after initial release? True story.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If I had more time/people... Did I mention that I wasn't planning on being the only guy working on Sigil two years after initial release? True story.
Why is that, anyway? I thought e-readers were getting pretty popular; you'd think the software would have more support.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
True, but now Valloric can decide what goes in. He made a good post on his blog why he is still the only one working on Sigil. Work goes slow perhaps, but it keeps it from becoming bloated and slow.

Although some things are useful, a lot of things are not. At least, not for most.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Why is that, anyway? I thought e-readers were getting pretty popular; you'd think the software would have more support.
Beats me.

I know a few people who said they wanted to contribute to Sigil on a more long-term basis, but then changed their mind when they found out Sigil was written in C++. It's a challenging language, that's certainly true; not at all "fun and sexy" to develop with.

But in general, I don't have a clue. There have been a few (very) minor patches here and there (and I thank the contributors), but that's pretty much it.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Another question about "find and replace". If I want to delete pagenumbers coded like this: <span>[7]</span> , is there a kind of placeholder or joker for the digit like the asterisk in Windows programms? Tried this, backslash and some others to no avail, except deleting significant parts of the book
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Another question about "find and replace". If I want to delete pagenumbers coded like this: <span>[7]</span> , is there a kind of placeholder or joker for the digit like the asterisk in Windows programms? Tried this, backslash and some others to no avail, except deleting significant parts of the book
Regex Search:
<span>\[\d+\]</span>

That is everything, including any amount of digits between the square brackets.
You have to 'escape' the brackets as they mean range/set in normal usage
([a-f] = a single letter in the set: a through f )
Old 04-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Regex Search:
<span>\[\d+\]</span>

That is everything, including any amount of digits between the square brackets.
You have to 'escape' the brackets as they mean range/set in normal usage
([a-f] = a single letter in the set: a through f )
Thanks, works fine, although I have no clue what you mean with the second part, but it's enough to delete this annoying page numbers
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Thanks, works fine, although I have no clue what you mean with the second part, but it's enough to delete this annoying page numbers
I was explaining why I put a \ before the [
There are magic characters that mean something to REGEX.
If you want to search for one of those, you must precede it with a \
to escape the normal REGEX usage.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
There's a plan in place to do it, and an issue to boot. But there are just so many other issues that I find more important than this one...

I keep telling people, it's triage. Yes, your issue is a "broken leg", but the other guy's issue is "head keeps falling off" and that has to take priority.

Hi:

Thanks for responding. Yeah...I know it's not head-trauma. And I freely admit that we probably run Sigil through the grinder more than the average bear, because we do production with it in fairly good-sized quantities, so we have more frequent need for a heartier regex than most folks. And, yeah, we can unzip the whole thing and suck the html it into NT, and use its regex, which is PCRE...we're just lazy. And of course, I just mostly LOVE Sigil and would use it solely if I could. So, as I said...just askin'. Maybe a teeny-weeny hopeful nudge.

P.S. - took a little time and played with the 0.4.0 beta today...been putting off installing it, since we DO run production, and wanted to wait until it was a little more stable...but it's looking really good, and the ability to keep pre-existing TOC's will save me a lot of brain-damage on epubs I'm revamping--thanks (although personally--I like using structure for TOC's, but...). I'm excited about the ability to play with the OPF and ncx, too. Smokin'.

Thanks,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
P.S. - took a little time and played with the 0.4.0 beta today...been putting off installing it, since we DO run production, and wanted to wait until it was a little more stable...but it's looking really good, and the ability to keep pre-existing TOC's will save me a lot of brain-damage on epubs I'm revamping--thanks (although personally--I like using structure for TOC's, but...). I'm excited about the ability to play with the OPF and ncx, too. Smokin'.

Thanks,
Hitch
Thanks Hitch. Yeah, I wouldn't use the 0.4.0 betas or RC's in a production environment. This has nothing to do with Sigil directly, but with early beta/RC builds of any software application. Experimental releases are labeled as such for a reason.

Production work should stay on the last stable release until all the major bugs are ironed out in dev and a new stable release is published. Even then, it may be wise to hold off until a few point releases have passed after a major one to be sure nothing ugly bites you when you're not looking.