Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #76
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
For some of us, tracking possible skins and screen protectors is necessary to balance the drawbacks case selection we've been offered.
I don't actually expect to see much in the way of fitted cases for the Aura unless Kobo decides to make it a regular part of the line-up, rather than a limited offering.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #77
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Aura same size as PocketBook Pro 602, I use my PB602 cover.

http://www.geckocovers.com/pocketbook-611-cover.html
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #78
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't actually expect to see much in the way of fitted cases for the Aura unless Kobo decides to make it a regular part of the line-up, rather than a limited offering.
When I say "necessary to balance the drawbacks of the case selection we've been offered," I not only mean the two cases which have been offered by Kobo, but also those which have been offered by third parties -- specifically for the Aura and also generically -- which prove useful by design, by legacy (cases we own already) and by chance (collectively and individually).

And since you "don't actually expect to see much in the way of fitted cases for the Aura," I'll conclude that you seem to be in agreement with me and therefore understand why I'd be interested in skins and screen protectors.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-16-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #79
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
And since you "don't actually expect to see much in the way of fitted cases for the Aura," I'll conclude that you seem to be in agreement with me and therefore understand why I'd be interested in skins and screen protectors.
Yes, I do agree with you and understand why you are interested. I just don't expect to see anything very good in terms of cases until Kobo is adding the AUra into its permanent lineup. Sorry if I was unclear.

I bought a very cushy case for my Aura so I could safely take it out of the house. I would really like an alternative to the current fitted case that kobo sells. They seem overpriced and cheesy.

Last edited by taming; 05-16-2013 at 07:45 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #80
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just don't expect to see anything very good in terms of cases until Kobo is adding the AUra into its permanent lineup. Sorry if I was unclear. . . . I would really like an alternative to the current fitted case that kobo sells. They seem overpriced and cheesy.
The very thing that got so many of us to buy an Aura -- the fact it's a limited edition e-ink e-reader with the highest specs so far -- is what makes Kobo's cavalier attitude toward accessories so maddening. Even the third-party vendors that do support Kobo would see a limited edition with anomalous dimensions as a bad investment.

The Aura just isn't the correct choice for commando e-reading. I do expect the screen resolution to become standard in eight months' time.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #81
geekspertise
geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Has anybody bought a Navitech cover from Amazon?
Yeah I bought it in Purple. While it is a nice case, and is decently constructed. It doesn't really fit the Aura correctly. I feel there is a bit too much of it exposed on the right side of the case when it's closed. And it seems a bit too tall for the Aura.

Don't get me wrong. You can't beat it for the price right now. I haven't seen a competitive book-style case from anyone else yet. I'm sure other cases will crop up.
geekspertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #82
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I ordered the Navitech Case last week and it arrived today.

As you can see, the case is nothing more than an universal 7" tablet case.

The cover is a little taller than the Aura itself and it just covers the width of the Aura.

For a cover that cost less than $20, the Navitech case does the job.

Spoiler:

Last edited by RZetlin; 05-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #83
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Wow, that's nice! If I wasn't a complete klutz, I'd try to follow your pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
I made a padded cover for my new Espresso Aura. This is a cover pattern (I bought off of etsy 4 years ago & modified it.) I've used it for used for a Sony 600, PRs-650, and Kobo Touch. I modified the pockets, from the previous versions. I also made it before the Aura actually arrived, so the left corner tabs didn't fit correctly, but I used my sewing skills, and took the corners in so that they didn't cover the charging port or the top left corner of the screen. I usually hold my ereader with one finger between the ereader & the cover, and the corner of the ereader rests on the pad of my thumb, leaving my thumb free to turn the page. I find the creased back on the aura is quite handy for support this way. If the attachments worked, there should be pictures below.

- Edit to add - If anyone wants the directions for this, I can send you measurements and directions. It's not very difficult.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #84
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouni View Post
Aura same size as PocketBook Pro 602, I use my PB602 cover.

http://www.geckocovers.com/pocketbook-611-cover.html
Thank you for that tip. I've ordered one and it fits really nice.
Quality is good too, though I already knew that from the Gecko cover I got for my Sony.
The only slight inconvenience is that the powerslider isn't as easy to reach as if you hold the device naked. But that was to be expected due to the slight slant of the Aura, and it's not exactly hard to reach (I can still power it on onehanded).

Anyway a few pictures in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auracovertotal.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	106253   Click image for larger version

Name:	auracovertop.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	655.8 KB
ID:	106254   Click image for larger version

Name:	auracoverbottom.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	796.2 KB
ID:	106255  
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #85
tgill
tgill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I only require a case for protection during transport/storage. I prefer to read with the Kobo bare without an covers or anything.

I picked up the Blackberry Playbook Leather envelope for $10. The Aura isn't as snug/tight a fit with this case as a Playbook is, but it still holds it pretty good with the Kobo only moving about half an inch when skaken. No matter how much I shake it though, the envelope flap won't open and the Aura won't fall out.

It's a nice cheap way to protect it and it looks pretty good too.

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...4A185A8106.htm
Just an update, I also picked this one up for a low $10. Great product of excellent quality and while not snug, is an excellent fit for the Kobo Aura.
[large images put in spoilers - moderator]
Spoiler:

Last edited by dreams; 05-27-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: large images put in spoilers - moderator
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #86
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
While I have not bought an Aura HD yet, saw this on Amazon and ordered it right away. Now I WILL buy an Aura HD!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CaseGuru-Lea...rds=aura+cover
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #87
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
While I have not bought an Aura HD yet, saw this on Amazon and ordered it right away. Now I WILL buy an Aura HD!
What's so compelling about that particular case?

Edit:

I'm not trying to be dismissive, BTW. I really would like to know what, in your opinion, that case has which others on this thread have lacked.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #88
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Never mind.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #89
gouni
Connoisseur
gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gouni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Youpi

I love the gekko slim cover for my Glo.

And pre-order cover for Aura the 24 june.

Your Kobo Aura HD e-reader can easily be ‘clicked-in’ in the plastic shell.

http://www.geckocovers.com/kobo-aura...ion-cover.html

4 colors, my prefer is blue.
gouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #90
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@gouni,

Oh no! Now why have you gone and brought this to my attention? I really believed that the 'limited edition' Aura wouldn't attract the interest of the good 3rd-party case makers. It seems I was wrong and now the dark red option is calling to me. Although I wish they would add a picture of the inside as well.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote