Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Paula66
Paula66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Question Help please, Calibre and Kindle. 2 kindles

I hope I am in the right place. I have two kindles at home and the one I use for myself and have bought these books on will not recognize the books if I send them from Calibre. "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived items or purchase a copy from the kindle store." This occurs whether I have changed the book metadata or not. I cannot find anything here or anywhere else that can help me with this problem. Is there something in the calibre program that will let you differentiate between to different kindles? Mind you I don't think that will change my problem but I don't know what the problem is. If the books are sent to kindle pc then calibre has access to them thou drm will not allow them to be read with the calibre, but it still should let me read them on my kindle if I use calibre to download them on my kindle!!!
Please please someone put me out of my misery and help.
thanks Paula

Last edited by Paula66; 04-07-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Paula66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
psikonauta
psikonauta began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I don't know much about that, but I think it looks like a DRM problem. Search the forums, there's been more people asking that.
psikonauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
This isn't actually the correct subforum, it's for recipes used with the Fetch News feature of calibre, which probably explains why you're not getting responses.

Downoads to each Kindle device (including the Kindle for PC program) have their own DRM locking them to that device. You cannot read DRM'd books on a Kindle if they were downloaded from Amazon for a different Kindle or for the Kindle for PC program. If you've downloaded books to the Kindle for PC program in order to get the books on your computer so you can put them in calibre, they are not properly coded to use on your Kindle.

Instead, for books you've already purchased, use the the 'Download and transfer via USB option' in the Actions button of your Kindle Library from your Manage Your Kindle page and select your Kindle as the device. When you buy new books, select the 'Transfer to Computer' option and choose the Kindle you want the DRM to match. This will download books that are compatible with reading on your Kindle to your computer and you can add them to calibre and edit the metadata and transfer them to your Kindle from there.

Another workaround involves stripping the DRM, which can't be described here, but information can be found by googling Apprentice Alf.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Paula66
Paula66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Thank you Synamon

I appreciate the help thank you
sorry I was in the wrong place
Paula66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, help needed, kindle 2 international