Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
DobraGolonka
DobraGolonka began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Import Date: Bug or Feature?

Hi

I have a query about the date field within the Calibre Database.

Last night (21-Aug), I imported some books into the Calibre Database, and this morning, (22-Aug), I searched for these books by using the search string 'date: yesterday' - I was a bit surprised when nothing appeared. However, by searching by one book's title, it appears that the date field has been set to '03-Jan-2010'!

Is the above a feature or a bug?

I using version 0.7.15 running on Vista Ultimate

Regards

DG
DobraGolonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DobraGolonka View Post
by searching by one book's title, it appears that the date field has been set to '03-Jan-2010'!
Is the above a feature or a bug?
Are you saying all your books get the wrong date or just that one?

I tested with 0.7.15 and my date field works correctly. Have you checked your computer date?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
DobraGolonka

Looking further into the problem, I have a lot of books which have a date set to before the date I even installed the Calibre program! And checking the physical file's creation, modified and accessed dates doesn't shed any light on the problem either.

However, I've just added about 400 books today, and they are all showing the correct date.

And, yes, my system date is correct.

DG
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If a date is set in the book's metadata then that value is used. Failing that today's date is used.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
DobraGolonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If a date is set in the book's metadata then that value is used. Failing that today's date is used.
Aha

So, 'date' isn't an 'imported date' then. That then begs the question, what purpose does it serve?

Regards

DG
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
So, 'date' isn't an 'imported date' then. That then begs the question, what purpose does it serve?
"Date" is a defined field for an EPUB. Calibre keeps that field in its metadata/database. If you add a book, what date should Calibre use? If you have "Get metadata only from filename" turned on, it will use the current date. If not, it will use the date from the metadata in the ebook, if it can, and if not it will use the current date.

When Calibre saves a book out, that field is updated with whatever date is in the database. (assuming you have metadata updating turned on)

As to what it means - I'd have to look it up in the EPUB definition, but for me it means "date added to Calibre." I always leave "Get metadata only from filename" turned on unless I am re-adding a book I've saved out, which has my "date added to Calibre" in that field.

Last edited by Starson17; 08-22-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Aha

Regards

DG
And if you "hover" over the format within the Metadata window, you now see the actual File date-time in the balloon help
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
DobraGolonka

Many thanks for the answers - that makes it all a lot clearer :-)

And as an aside, Calibe is an awesome bit of software!

Regards

DG
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I too am using that to show "what date I added the book to Calibre" but I had already caught it shifting that date on some things, so I've changed it back to the current date on those files. Thanks for explanation, itimpi, I didn't know why it was doing it, either. I have my columns as Title, Author, Series, Read?, Published (the date the book was published) and Date (date I added it to Calibre). Sometimes you have to watch that last one, but I do like having it like that.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I too am using that to show "what date I added the book to Calibre" but I had already caught it shifting that date on some things
AFAIK, Calibre doesn't shift that date unless you tell it to.

There are two places you might think it "shifted" - in book metadata and in the Calibre database. Which one did you think was changed? (and if you know the answer - how did it get changed?)
Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Starson I have no idea. I'd be merrily adding books, adding Series informatiion to the metadata window, and look at that field, and the date would be something completely off, as Dobra said. Unlike the behavior of the "Published" field, where I had to go into the "tweaks" file to let it let me change the date inputted by the metadata, this one just let me change it to the current date. I have a suspicion that itimpi is right, that in some books that date is set in the metadata.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I have a suspicion that itimpi is right, that in some books that date is set in the metadata.
It is set in the metadata in formats that have metadata, but what does that have to do with it? It works like any other bit of metadata. I just don't understand how it could shift on you.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It is set in the metadata in formats that have metadata, but what does that have to do with it? It works like any other bit of metadata. I just don't understand how it could shift on you.
Ah! I think I understand the confusion here. It doesn't "shift" while I'm watching it, sometimes instead of the current (today's) date, it comes up with something totally different, for example one I got was "14 Feb 2003". I am assuming somehow that date was in the metadata. As I said, no biggie, it's only happened about six times and it's easy enough to change it.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That's the confusing part, until you run into a book you're adding that has the date field set in it all you've seen was today's date. But all of a sudden you got a copy of some PD epub from a friend, add it to calibre, and expect it to have today's date like the last 840 books you added but it places the date from the epub's metadata and poof "the date has shifted".

It is non-intuitive for that date field to be part of the metadata (I know it is) the published date or created date are intuitive concepts but this is just some random date that doesn't seem tied to anything. I too thought that date column meant date added to the library, but every now and then it has a mind all it's own (because the date was set previously by another and entered in metadata).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
That's the confusing part, until you run into a book you're adding that has the date field set in it all you've seen was today's date. But all of a sudden you got a copy of some PD epub from a friend, add it to calibre, and expect it to have today's date like the last 840 books you added but it places the date from the epub's metadata and poof "the date has shifted".

It is non-intuitive for that date field to be part of the metadata (I know it is) the published date or created date are intuitive concepts but this is just some random date that doesn't seem tied to anything. I too thought that date column meant date added to the library, but every now and then it has a mind all it's own (because the date was set previously by another and entered in metadata).
What he said!!