Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #76
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
I think that since koland is kind enough to track all these down for us, we should go with whatever makes her life easier. (And if that means one thread, then so be it!)

Thanks koland!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #77
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
Thanks Koland for all you do for us!
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #78
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Please split. Or more clearly mark which ones aren't US books.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #79
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Split, please...

Pretty, please???

Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #80
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
It's not quite the same as the 92 listed in the iBooks store, but Amazon and Sony have these ebooks for free:

1. Sharp Vocab: Building Better Vocabulary Skills
2. Sharp Writing: Building Better Writing Skills
3. Kaplan ACT Strategies for Super Busy Students: 15 Simple Steps to Tackle the ACT While Keeping Your Life Together
4. Kaplan SAT Score-Raising Dictionary
5. Kaplan Portable GMAT
6. Kaplan Portable GRE
7. Kaplan CCRN: Certification for Adult, Pediatric, and Neonatal Critical Care Nurses
8. Kaplan PMBR Final: Constitutional Law: Core Concepts and Key Questions
9. Kaplan PMBR: Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #81
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that these are one-day only prices

Today's 99 cent book from Carina Press is Dark and Disorderly, by Bernita Harris, the first in a new series. Unlike yesterday, when Amazon was the last to get this one up, they got the price changed in the morning (although no one had it around midnight, when I checked). The only reason I haven't grabbed my copy this morning is that this is one of the galleys that Carina Press has sent me to review (and I'm bumping it up the list).

Book Description
"I was standing there naked when my dead husband walked into my bathroom..."

Lillie St. Claire is a Talent, one of the rare few who can permanently dispatch the spirits of the dead that walk the earth. Her skills are in demand in a haunted country, where a plague of ghosts is becoming a civic nuisance.

Those skills bring her into conflict with frightened citizens who view Talents as near-demons. Her husband comes to see her as a Freak; so when Nathan dies after a car crash, she is relieved to be free of his increasingly vicious presence. Lillie expects to be haunted by Nathan's ghost, but not to become Suspect #1 for her husband's murder and reanimation.

But what's most surprising of all is the growing attraction between her and psi-crime detective John Thresher. He thinks that Lillie killed Nathan--and Nathan must agree, because his zombie is seeking revenge. Now she and Thresher must work together to solve her husband's murder--before his corpse kills her...

Amazon has A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers, by Kate L. Turabian, et al, on sale today (only) for 99 cents. And, unlike the previous one-day sales they've had lately, they announced it early enough for me to let you know about it here.

Book Description
Dewey. Bellow. Strauss. Friedman. The University of Chicago has been the home of some of the most important thinkers of the modern age. But perhaps no name has been spoken with more respect than Turabian. The dissertation secretary at Chicago for decades, Kate Turabian literally wrote the book on the successful completion and submission of the student paper. Her Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, created from her years of experience with research projects across all fields, has sold more than seven million copies since it was first published in 1937. Now, with this seventh edition, Turabian-s Manual has undergone its most extensive revision, ensuring that it will remain the most valuable handbook for writers at every level-from first-year undergraduates, to dissertation writers apprehensively submitting final manuscripts, to senior scholars who may be old hands at research and writing but less familiar with new media citation styles. Gregory G. Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, and the late Wayne C. Booth-the gifted team behind The Craft of Research-and the University of Chicago Press Editorial Staff combined their wide-ranging expertise to remake this classic resource. They preserve Turabian-s clear and practical advice while fully embracing the new modes of research, writing, and source citation brought about by the age of the Internet. Booth, Colomb, and Williams significantly expand the scope of previous editions by creating a guide, generous in length and tone, to the art of research and writing. Growing out of the authors- best-selling Craft of Research, this new section provides students with an overview of every step of the research and writing process, from formulating the right questions to reading critically to building arguments and revising drafts. This leads naturally to the second part of the Manual for Writers, which offers an authoritative overview of citation practices in scholarly writing, as well as detailed information on the two main citation styles (-notes-bibliography- and -author-date-). This section has been fully revised to reflect the recommendations of the fifteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style and to present an expanded array of source types and updated examples, including guidance on citing electronic sources. The final section of the book treats issues of style-the details that go into making a strong paper. Here writers will find advice on a wide range of topics, including punctuation, table formatting, and use of quotations. The appendix draws together everything writers need to know about formatting research papers, theses, and dissertations and preparing them for submission. This material has been thoroughly vetted by dissertation officials at colleges and universities across the country. This seventh edition of Turabian-s Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations is a classic reference revised for a new age. It is tailored to a new generation of writers using tools its original author could not have imagined-while retaining the clarity and authority that generations of scholars have come to associate with the name Turabian.

Yesterday's book, How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less, by Cal Newport, is actually still marked down to $4.65 (the one-day only price). Not under a buck, but still a good deal (wish I'd known about the one on composition before this one, though, as I missed it myself).

Book Description
Looking to jumpstart your GPA? Most college students believe that straight A’s can be achieved only through cramming and painful all-nighters at the library. But Cal Newport knows that real straight-A students don’t study harder—they study smarter. A breakthrough approach to acing academic assignments, from quizzes and exams to essays and papers, How to Become a Straight-A Student reveals for the first time the proven study secrets of real straight-A students across the country and weaves them into a simple, practical system that anyone can master. You will learn how to:

* Streamline and maximize your study time
* Conquer procrastination
* Absorb the material quickly and effectively
* Know which reading assignments are critical—and which are not
* Target the paper topics that wow professors
* Provide A+ answers on exams
* Write stellar prose without the agony

A strategic blueprint for success that promises more free time, more fun, and top-tier results, How to Become a Straight-A Student is the only study guide written by students for students—with the insider knowledge and real-world methods to help you master the college system and rise to the top of the class.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #82
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I'll most likely leave it up to the moderators, but that would mean multiple sticky threads and duplication of posts (since most of those that I post are US and sometimes in other countries -- I only note a geographic restriction when it isn't available in the US and I dare say that I miss many of these non-US deals, since I am in the US and I only check Canada and the UK on some books).

To get an idea of the "problem", I have went back thru this month and counted the freebies for US and non-US and looked to see if any non-US posts were not clearly indicated as such (for sample, I add "UK Only" to the posts when the prices are only for either UK customers or in the UK store).

US Freebies: 57
US Bargains: 10
US Games: 2

Note that immediately after opening the UK store on 8/6, there were 150+ free books, mostly about Canada; but not all links were posted and they pretty much disappeared by 8/10; since then, they generally have the same 8 free books to 65 in the US store. This appears to be the same sort of pricing error that happened in the US store the weekend that the Agency model was put into effect, resulting in dozens of books for free (10 Lemony Snicket titles, for example) and isn't likely to be repeated. So, I am not counting those titles or the few messages over a couple of days.

After 8/10 UK Freebies: 5
UK Bargains: 2

Canada Freebies: 0
Canada Bargains: 5

Audiobook: 1

Total non-US bargain/freebies that were not noted as such in the message: 1

Overall, there has been very little that is non-US, if you discount the flurry on the opening days of the UK store (which still resulted in only about 16 messages, some of which were commentary).

I doubt there is enough traffic to warrant a Canadian thread and a UK/Canada thread would have had only 12 items posted to it in a "normal" month. A fairly high number of the US freebies were not free in a number of other countries; only some of them were commented upon in the thread, though, so I didn't attempt to count them all (I see comments in other forums and know that often Canada and the UK don't see the same prices that those in the US do).

One reason we are restarting the thread each month is to make it easier to find the current bargains; I'm not sure that making those who do have multiple addresses with Amazon check multiple threads would contribute to that goal. The only book posted that was not free in the US and that that info was not noted in the posting, was posted by a UK reader -- like those of us in the US, they can't easily see that there are different prices in different countries. Once this was discovered by a US reader, the restriction/price difference was posted. A post about two free Kaplan titles in the UK has generated many more comments on wanting to split out the threads than there were on UK free books in the last three weeks: 8 for splitting, two that didn't say, but were glad to find free books vs. 5 free UK books in three posts total.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
The Billy Boyle books have a strange font that I haven't seen in any other Kindle books. It's oversize, not as readable, and I had to go to the smallest font size to get the size I had set previously (the second-smallest for all other books). The typeface and line spacing options have greyed out (Kindle 3) on the font size menu. And trying to increase words per line just increases the margins.

I know it's a free/cheap book, but come on, Amazon.
This Billy Boyle eBook is also available at Barnes & Noble. So if you can strip the DRM, it will be easy to convert it to Mobipocket for use on a Kindle without having to deal with the odd looking Topaz version.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Bil...9781569476727/
Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #84
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
However - since Koland has been the person submitting 90% of the free notices, it should perhaps be her decision. (I'm for splitting it too, but not if it is too much work for Koland.)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #85
koland
Grand Sorcerer

More freebies! All three of these are from Christian publisher Zondervan (the last two are from their ZonderKidz imprint).

Catwalk, by Melody Carlson

Book Description
Big Apple. Bigger Problems.The success of the Forrester sisters' On the Runway TV show lands them a hot ticket to Fashion Week in New York City. Paige is determined to garner the attention of New York's top designers, but her newfound fame threatens to go to her head. Erin wants to help promote the work of some eco-minded designers, but struggles to be taken seriously. Can Paige keep her prima donna behavior in check? Will Erin's involvement hurt the people she's really trying to help? Success in the big city comes with even bigger challenges, and as the pressure grows, so does the drama.

Sophie's World, by Nancy Rue, the first in Sophie series

Book Description
When future film director Sophie LaCroix visits Williamsburg, Virginia, her imagination sends her straight into the eighteenth century. An unlikely heroine, Sophie's forced to use her new-found war tactics to foil a heinous plot and save a friend from impending humiliation by the popular girls.

Sophie's Secret, by Nancy Rue, the second in Sophie series

Book Description
Sophie and her friends launch an 'archaeological expedition' and make a disturbing discovery. Sophie keeps digging to uncover a shocking family secret. In light of this new revelation, will she ever be able to trust her parents again?

Also free in the Sony store.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #86
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Another freebie from Zondervan:

Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book, by Nancy Rue, which part of the Real Life series.

Book Description

Four girls are brought together through the power of a mysterious book that helps them sort through the issues of their very real lives.While family dinners and vacations to touristy destinations are ordinary events for her 'normal' friends, fifteen-year-old Jessie Hatcher's normal life means dealing with her ADHD and her mother's bipolar disorder. So why is Jessie shocked when the unexpected happens? Now her 'normal' includes living in Florida with the father she always thought was dead and learning the secrets of sushi from a man who teaches by tormenting her. Life isn't any saner with her dad, but a cute guy and a mysterious book might just be the crazy Jessie needs.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm for letting Koland decide if it's a good idea to split things or not.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #88
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Spellwright, by Blake Charlton, is free for UK customers (or in the UK Kindle store).

Book Description
Nicodemus Weal is a cacographer, unable to reproduce even simple magical texts without 'misspelling' - a mistake which can have deadly consequences. He was supposed to be the Halcyon, a magic-user of unsurpassed power, destined to save the world; instead he is restricted to menial tasks, and mocked for his failure to live up to the prophecy.But not everyone interprets prophecy in the same way. There are some factions who believe a cacographer such as Nicodemus could hold great power - power that might be used as easily for evil as for good. And when two of the wizards closest to Nicodemus are found dead, it becomes clear that some of those factions will stop at nothing to find the apprentice and bend him to their will....
Old 09-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #89
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Well then, how about some guidelines? Please? Like when submitting a non-US book, lead the announcement with the country of origin?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #90
koland
Grand Sorcerer

sounds like a plan...
Closed Thread