Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LG Phone reads e-books out loud

While regular e-books are still looking to find their feet in the marketplace, LG has come out with a phone that does the reading for you.

Put an e-book on the microSD card, stick it in the phone, and it will read the e-book for you. Of course, you could just put the audio (even from Gutenberg audio) on the microSD card, but that's no fun!

The phone also has bluetooth and can work as a walkie-talkie.

Interestingly, there is probably software out there already for PalmOS and Windows Mobile to read text. Knowing the creativity of gadget lovers, I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere has actually used that method to read an e-book on a pda.

Via Kevin Tofel at JkOnTheRun.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good idea except that most eBook titles that you buy seem to have the "Read" function disabled, at least on newer releases.

So what reader does it use? If it is proprietary, then good luck finding eBooks.
Advert
Old 09-23-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
This is just text-to-speech software. While they are really available for both Palm and Windows Mobile, the current version sound robotic so no fun reading a book or email using them. Hopefully, LG's text-to-speech and I believe Nokia have one too for certain phones are better. Text files are much smaller than audio files.

Personally, I use them all the time on my Windows PC, but as stated not on my Mobile devices.

eBooks bought commercially have the 'select all' function disabled (to deter piracy and format shifting), so unless they come with their own reader or you strip them of protection (if that is legal is another matter), I don't think text-to-speech will work...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote