Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Have you had problems with your refurbished Kindle?

I am looking at getting a refurbished Kindle but before I do wanted to know other peoples experience with refurbished units. So please let me know the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I had to return mine for a full refund. I would be zipping right a long and it would freeze up and reboot multiple times on the same page. The board recommended I tried different formats of books and that didn't help.
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
No issues here. Refurb DX. Looks new, no marks or any junk files on it, packaged in a new box. Mine had old fimware and suffered a bit of the problem that mrgiedrnrk suffered but that was fixed by updating it.

Saved $100
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I had to return mine for a full refund. I would be zipping right a long and it would freeze up and reboot multiple times on the same page. The board recommended I tried different formats of books and that didn't help.
I hope it was just bad luck and you got it sorted out. I usually don't buy anything refurbished but I thought about getting a refurb DX for Christmas.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
I hope it was just bad luck and you got it sorted out. I usually don't buy anything refurbished but I thought about getting a refurb DX for Christmas.
Remember that you do have a 30 day, no questions asked, return policy. If the unit is defective, they even pay the shipping. If you just don't like it, you do.

Also, has the one year warranty that the new ones have.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
laura99
laura99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My husband has had a refurb K2 now for a month. The initial one had a fading text issue - but they sent a new refurb next day and this one is still going strong.

I had the same issue with mine which was a new one, so I would highly recommend a refurb.
laura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
my second Kindle is a refurb. I used it exclusively the first month I had it and have had no problems. I'm going on 2 months of ownership now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
i've had 2 refurb'd kindle2s. The first I received after i had the fade problem with a new kindle2. That one had problems with the 5-way controller, so i returned it and got another refurb. so far so good, haven't had any problems with it since august.
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
My refurb DX is just like new (brand new package), it was a very pleasand surprise.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

hmmmm....interesting. Thanks for that. I am living in Australia so while the 30 day return policy is good it wont do me much good from here as it would cost a lot to return. So I guess I need to work out that I would save $100 but it might cost me that much to return it from OZ. It seems like there have been a few problems with some of the refur units while others have none and its a bit of a lucky dip.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
hmmmm....interesting. Thanks for that. I am living in Australia so while the 30 day return policy is good it wont do me much good from here as it would cost a lot to return. So I guess I need to work out that I would save $100 but it might cost me that much to return it from OZ. It seems like there have been a few problems with some of the refur units while others have none and its a bit of a lucky dip.
Do you know anyone in the US that would relay it for you? They could have it sent to them, and test it out for you. Then if it all seems ok forward it to ya.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
My $189 refurb K2 was brand new.

Probably just clearing out the US Sprint wireless overstock since the GSM ATT version has replaced them.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
My $189 refurb K2 was brand new.

Probably just clearing out the US Sprint wireless overstock since the GSM ATT version has replaced them.
how do you know? my refurb K1 sure looked brand new, but I haven't a clue if it was
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
nwinter
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you know anyone in the US that would relay it for you? They could have it sent to them, and test it out for you. Then if it all seems ok forward it to ya.

BOb
Hi Bob, yes I have a "mule" however the "mule" is very technophobic so could not trust it to try it out properly. I think due to the comments here for the sake of $90 I should just go new ( and yes, I know new can be just as bad). Thanks everyone. I appreciate the time and effort made by all to help me decide which way to go.

Natalie
Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
how do you know? my refurb K1 sure looked brand new, but I haven't a clue if it was
Same here. I got my K1 about 6 months ago and it looked like it was brand new.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote