Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Richard Maseles
Richard Maseles began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
standalone iPhone book app

Has someone here either created a standalone iPhone app consisting entirely of just (or mostly) text? And-- very important-- did that app include interior hyperlinks, i.e., links within the app/text to other locations within the text? I need it to go beyond just a table of contents feature to include footnotes and indexing.

Before someone suggests Calibre/ePub or some other e-book reader like eReader or Mobipocket, I need to say that I'm quite familiar with those and appreciate what they bring to the table, but I have editorial and business reasons for at least investigating a standalone iPhone app.

I had some communication with someone who, for a time, was licensing his e-book/independent app software (for a LOT of money!) (or I thought it was, anyway). I would have paid the licensing fee in a heartbeat, however, except he said that he hadn't solved the internal hyperlink problem-- the iPhone program environment insisted on opening Safari in its default environment with his internal hyperlinks. And he wasn't interested in solving the problem.

I can't help but think that the iPhone's UIWebView, which is supposed to open up non-internet HTML docs, is the best solution, particularly since I'm creating simple, clean HTML as my default electronic document. But I am not much of a programmer and I don't own a mac, which I understand is required to create apps in the iPhone SDK environment. And I don't know Objective-C. I'm willing to at least discuss what an outside programmer would charge for conversion, although I'd rather have this person create a template if possible.

Anyway, I'm asking the hive mind-- what do you know about this? Thanks in advance.
Richard Maseles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm not a developer, but I'd say internal hyperlinks aren't a problem. Stanza certainly handles them well enough. Unfortunately, I don't think the source code for the Stanza app is available for download.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Richard Maseles

Actually, Stanza may handle them, but the resulting ePub docs don't, at least not well. But thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hmm, I've converted some single HTML files to EPUB and the internal links I've used seem to work well enough. One thing that has been discussed previously, link id/names must not begin with a number.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Richard Maseles

maybe that was a problem...I know I've been working in other media. Thanks!
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It might be worth contacting the Stanza authors about this? A lot of the app publishers are very easy to get in contact with and always keen to improve their product.
They would definitively tell you if the Apple iphone api supports it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote