Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
PDF question - book I want is only available as PDF

I've been trying to stick to all Amazon or Mobi files for my Kindle, but one book I want is only available as PDF. So much as I hate too, I may have to pony up and buy it in that format. I'm not clear on the whole PDF vs. Adobe Digital Editions thing. This ebook was put out in 2006 I think, as a PDF. So, do I need anything more than Adobe Reader to view it? Adobe Reader 7?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If there is no DRM in on it and it's mostly text, you can covert it through Amazon or MP Creator to read on your Kindle. I've done it with a DRM free Digital Editions pdf and it worked fine.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If there is no DRM in on it and it's mostly text, you can covert it through Amazon or MP Creator to read on your Kindle. I've done it with a DRM free Digital Editions pdf and it worked fine.
Yes, I've converted/edited some PDF files. I just don't know if it is going to have DRM or not. I assume yes? It is available at BooksOnBoard and Diesel as a PDF. I've spent so much time looking into all the mobi drm things that I am pretty ignorant at the moment about PDF files and DRM or lack thereof.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are PDFs with a password. These are crackable, but not used much commercially.

Most protected PDFs you see are called Secure Adobe ebooks or Secure Adobe PDFs. They are usually described as needing (Windows) Adobe Reader version 7 or Abobe Digital Editions to read them. This is exactly the case, since the DRM has not been cracked. So these may never be readable on a Kindle. They are readable on a Sony PRS-505, since it includes ADE.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

hmm...maybe I'll just give it up and buy in in paperback (my library doesn't have it)
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
hmm...maybe I'll just give it up and buy in in paperback (my library doesn't have it)
Why not read a few dozen other books, then come back to this one and see if it is in a format you want.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of curiosity and just plain nosiness, may ask the title of the book?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Why not read a few dozen other books, then come back to this one and see if it is in a format you want.

BOb
Yep...good plan...I have several others on tap to read right now. So I'll just have to put in on my list for later.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Out of curiosity and just plain nosiness, may ask the title of the book?
Author: Susan Lyons
Title: Champagne Rules

it is the first in a set of 4 books. The others are available in mobi/kindle format.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Author: Susan Lyons
Title: Champagne Rules

it is the first in a set of 4 books. The others are available in mobi/kindle format.
I understand your frustration. I had to purchase a paperback several weeks ago because I had unknowingly started with book 2 of 3. Book 1 is not an ebook and book 3 comes out next month.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There is a work around to get Secured PDF on your reader. Though you may rightfully argue, not the best

Steps:
1. The Secured PDF must have printing enabled (most do).
2. You must have Adobe 7 (Later version crippled printing).
3. A PDF printer driver (Primo PDF is free and quite good)
4. Open the PDF an print it.
5. When you print. Depress the <Advanced> button.
6. Select the check box "Print as Image". (NOTE: The final PDF will be much larger because it is now an image for each page.)
7. Use a tool like PDFRead to convert the PDF to Mobi.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 09-23-2008 at 05:57 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
i'm not very knowledgable on pdf's, but can't you select a portion of text and paste it in a MSword file, and save it as html?
Or do only the non-drm versions of pdf's work that way?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
i'm not very knowledgable on pdf's, but can't you select a portion of text and paste it in a MSword file, and save it as html?
Or do only the non-drm versions of pdf's work that way?
Only the non-DRM PDF work that way. If there's DRM, you cannot copy from it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!