Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
new books in mobi format

I swear they are out to get me! Its a conspiracy I tell you! Okay not really, I am being overly dramatic, but hey it feels that way sometimes!

So a bunch of new books that just came out that I want to buy as ebooks are only being sold as DRM'd mobi format. Why? I dunno, because they hate me?

I have been able to convert lit books without a problem, but mobi that is drm'd? not so much. *mutters*

Suggestions ideas?

Ways to force ebookwise to make my EB 1150 read other formats? *grins*

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Search for mobidedrm.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
thank you Igorsk

Thanks Igorsk, I did some searching and it did take me a while but I think I figured out how to use the mobidedrm script.

I am currently trying to get mobi2imp to work. But so far it doesn't seem to. I have been playing with the files that were included, mainly the oliver twist one, and so far it just creates a blank folder... grrrr

Hopefully I will figure out what I am doing wrong.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Maybe I can help.

After running Mobi2IMP, check what the command prompt window says at the top (and scroll back if it disappears). Post that message here if you know how to copy text from the command prompt i.e. select all and copy, then paste here!

If the deDRM'ed .prc was created with 'high compression' i.e. Huff-Dic compression, then Mobi2IMP will not work on that file. Try 'mobi2oeb' created by Kovidgoyal and part of his Calibre (Sony PRS-500/505) software package available elsewhere in the Mobileread.com forums.

Were you able to get the html file extracted from the .prc/.mobi? Does it open in a browser window the way you'd expect it to?

Don't you hate having to go through this just to read the book, your way!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could be that some of these new Mobi eBooks are huffdic compressed and Mobi2IMP will not yet work with them because of the face that Mobi2HTML does not work with huffdic compressed Mobi eBooks. I've put in a request to allow Mobi2IMP to use Mobi2OEB as well since Mobi2OEB works with huff-dic compression. Once that's done, then you might be able to get these eBooks converted with Mobi2IMP.

But for now, you can download and install Calibre and use Mobi2OEB on these eBooks and then run them through eBook Publisher to make them IMP format. You might have to edit the HTML a little in some cases. But it's still better then not being able to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could be that some of these new Mobi eBooks are huffdic compressed and Mobi2IMP will not yet work with them because of the face that Mobi2HTML does not work with huffdic compressed Mobi eBooks.
If somebody write a specification of the huffdic format I will implement it in mobi2html. And the Python code or Java code does not work for me as a specification since I want to release my code using GPL3.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've put in a request to allow Mobi2IMP to use Mobi2OEB as well since Mobi2OEB works with huff-dic compression. Once that's done, then you might be able to get these eBooks converted with Mobi2IMP.
Jon:

I've got Mobi2IMP to do 'mobi2oeb --> .html --> .imp' and it's working, but it is 'hard-coded' to just accept this conversion i.e. I temporarily bypassed the mobiperl base code from mobi2html within the Mobi2IMP script.

Now I have to just merge it into the code so that both can co-exist. Unless tompe get's Huffdic decoding working in mobiperl; in which case I'll stop and restart this using just the (revised) mobi2html code.

An all perl solution is more attractive to me than to use external programs, but for now, it's good enough to facilitate mobi2oeb-type conversions within Mobi2IMP.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-06-2008 at 01:10 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Jon:

I've got Mobi2IMP to do 'mobi2oeb --> .html --> .imp' and it's working, but it is 'hard-coded' to just accept this conversion i.e. I temporarily bypassed the mobiperl base code from mobi2html within the Mobi2IMP script.

Now I have to just merge it into the code so that both can co-exist. Unless tompe get's Huffdic decoding working in mobiperl; in which case I'll stop and restart this using just the (revised) mobi2html code.

An all perl solution is more attractive to me than to use external programs, but for now, it's good enough to facilitate mobi2oeb-type conversions within Mobi2IMP.
Wonderful. Sounds like a real step forward. I have an idea for Mobi2html... have Tompe look at the Python code on the Calibre development part of the Calibre site for Mobi2oeb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If somebody write a specification of the huffdic format I will implement it in mobi2html. And the Python code or Java code does not work for me as a specification since I want to release my code using GPL3.
Eh, why does Python code stop you from using GPL3?
And the huffdic compression is explained (somewhat) in readme for pdbshred.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Eh, why does Python code stop you from using GPL3?
And the huffdic compression is explained (somewhat) in readme for pdbshred.
I thought the origin of the Python code was the decoded Java code from the Kindle (at least they looked similar). And it worries me that my implementation would be too similar so something that is not GLP:ed.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought the origin of the Python code was the decoded Java code from the Kindle (at least they looked similar). And it worries me that my implementation would be too similar so something that is not GLP:ed.
They're "similar" in that they implement the same algorithm. You can't really do it a much different way. And I used both Java and Win32 assembly implementations to reconstruct the algorithm. Calibre's implementation has even more changes.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They're "similar" in that they implement the same algorithm. You can't really do it a much different way. And I used both Java and Win32 assembly implementations to reconstruct the algorithm. Calibre's implementation has even more changes.
OK, so maybe it is not a problem. If anybody write a Perl implementation I will integrate it in MobiPerl...