Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #61
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Figured it out. Lol, I didn't sleep until it was fixed. The fanfic was fairly long and the pcre.backtrack_limit was too restrictive (100,000). Changed the value to 1,000,000 and it works now.
Awesome, thanks for that - will put this in the next release. Cheers for the fix .

Quote:
Yep. I was just trying to figure out a way so it returns the HTML output directly/in-line. e.g. http://localhost/getstory.php?source=ffnet&storyid=1234567 would contain the cleaned HTML source instead of creating a separate cleaned HTML file. Needed this for def print_version() in a Calibre news feed while I'm still learning Python and unable to convert the chapter detection and page cleaning logic.
Gotcha. Would it be useful for me to put a 'wrapper' function in the main script that will let you call fflag inline with other php scripts rather than as a separate app?

Quote:
Would be great except I don't know how to use subversion, although I guess I could learn. Also, I'm not sure if my submitted code is Linux compatible.
Your code will be linux-compatible unless you used bits of the win32 api, which is fairly unlikely. I will make sure it doesn't break any existing functionality before merging it though - might need your help debugging a merged fix, as I dont have a windows machine handy.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons you're not getting more hits is because people aren't aware your program/service exists. I used to archive fanfics the hard way and I eventually gave up doing that since it just takes too much effort. Alas, short of posting a link on the FanFiction.Net forums (which might result in them asking you to take down the web service), I can't think of a way for people to learn about FLAG.
I did email fanfiction.net before putting my webservice online (http://flag.erayd.net/), but never received a reply - I'll interpret that as meaning they don't have a problem with it.

Quote:
I just read a bit about subversion. I think patches would be better so we don't accidentally break something.
Yay - this is my preferred method too as it means I don't have to bother with setting up the dav interface to subversion ;-).
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #62
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayd View Post
Gotcha. Would it be useful for me to put a 'wrapper' function in the main script that will let you call fflag inline with other php scripts rather than as a separate app?
No need. Figured out how to do it and I posted the changes to fflag in my previous reply. However, would it be possible to include a php script on your server that returns the HTML result inline? e.g. http://flag.erayd.net/print.php?source=ffnet&storyid=1234567 would return the fixed HTML source. Python is kicking my butt and I'm at a loss adapting the PHP code for chapter detection. Hoping to submit a stopgap FanFiction.Net Calibre recipe until I can code it entirely in Python.

Quote:
Your code will be linux-compatible unless you used bits of the win32 api, which is fairly unlikely. I will make sure it doesn't break any existing functionality before merging it though - might need your help debugging a merged fix, as I dont have a windows machine handy.
Okay, sounds good. Will be happy to help debug... Or maybe not debug but at least test if the merged code works. It's been a long time since I last programmed anything so I'm a bit rusty and I'm really not familiar with the Windows specific fixes rgibbo added. I just copied his code. Lol, this is actually my first foray into PHP scripting.

Quote:
I did email fanfiction.net before putting my webservice online (http://flag.erayd.net/), but never received a reply - I'll interpret that as meaning they don't have a problem with it.
Yep. Hopefully. Besides, it's just a service. You don't store fics permanently on your server, anyway. I think that, they might object to.

Quote:
Yay - this is my preferred method too as it means I don't have to bother with setting up the dav interface to subversion ;-).
Lol, don't understand whatever you said buy happy to have made your life easier.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
No need. Figured out how to do it and I posted the changes to fflag in my previous reply. However, would it be possible to include a php script on your server that returns the HTML result inline? e.g. http://flag.erayd.net/print.php?source=ffnet&storyid=1234567 would return the fixed HTML source. Python is kicking my butt and I'm at a loss adapting the PHP code for chapter detection. Hoping to submit a stopgap FanFiction.Net Calibre recipe until I can code it entirely in Python.
Not a problem, I'll add this sometime in the next few days when I update the server copy - now that you guys have written more sources for it, I need to add options for them ;-).
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #64
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not a problem, I'll add this sometime in the next few days when I update the server copy - now that you guys have written more sources for it, I need to add options for them ;-).
Okay. Thanks!

I'm working on archiving all fanfics from A Single Spark (owner has stopped maintenance and might get rid of the website soon). I've got modified html and epub codec.php scripts which includes additional functions for creating author omnibus files, albeit they contain a bunch of hard links right now. I also have a modified sesskag.source.php with a function that takes the author id and retrieves story information from the author page. I can probably adapt it to work with FanFiction.Net and AdultFanFiction.net after I've ironed out the bugs.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #65
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
ilovejedd, thanks for your help in the other thread as I now have (I think) got my head around using the recipes in Calibre i'll move my questions to this thread.

When trying to use the URL you posted in the other thread I get a 404. (I'm changing the storyid not leaving the hashes )

On a side note when trying to use the CLI php.exe crashes for some reason when trying to create the epub file (can't do lrf as Stanza won't read it) is this format supported in the version of the script I have or should i reinstall php? Just want to check before going through the hassle of reinstalling.

TIA
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #66
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Oh. Whoops. My mistake.

It's supposed to be:
http://www.utterlyinsane.org/fflag/print.php?storyid=

I'm using XAMPP 1.7.0 and I've had no problems with crashing (Windows XP). If you're using command-line, remember to uncomment php_curl and php_tidy from C:\xampp\php\php.ini. Apache uses a different PHP configuration file from the PHP command-line. If you don't have php_curl and php_tidy enabled, then the script's not going to work.

What operating system are you using? Can you give me the story id of stories that cause crashing?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #67
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heh i thought it might be something like that, i translated the url you supplied to use my server and the browser version now works fine, i must say it's superb it does EXACTLY what I want and the formatted ebook is perfect. I'm currently just saving the html file produced by print.php and then converting in calibre to epub.

As for the cli problem I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit (Though not for much longer I only installed it as a test for some HiDef video encoding and I have to say it's the worst operating system I've used since WinME). I have php_curl and php_tidy enabled in php.ini and also php5.ini just in case it made a difference, I'm also using XAMPP 1.7.0.

The script pulls down the thread but then crashes while converting to epub, this happens every time with any storyid, I've tested those storyids in the browser (Opera 9.64 and IE7 <shudder>) and they work perfectly.

Here's a random one I've just tried including the commandline just in case I'm doing something wrong there:

"C:\xampp\php\php.exe" "C:\xampp\htdocs\flag\fflag" -s ffnet -i 4740107 -f epub -o c:\temp\test.epub

Every ID I try gives the error below:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: php.exe
Application Version: 5.2.8.8
Application Timestamp: 493d760b
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a783
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002f217
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Hope this helps though I would have to say it's something on my end as it happens with every storyid. I'll be going back to WinXP shortly so hopefully that will solve the problems anyway.

Cheers

Mnementh
Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Question, does the app crash without creating the epub (e.g. you get a 0-byte epub) or does it crash but you get a working epub? I just tried it on a Vista Home Premium laptop and the app crashed. When I checked the epub, though, it was working just fine (in Adobe Digital Editions, Calibre and Stanza).

I like using the PHP script better than converting within Calibre. If you look at the script (codec\epub.codec.php), you'll notice it embeds metadata into the epub and and prettifies chapter titles. Assuming I didn't break something in the code, that is.

By the way, you don't have to specify the output filename. I just do so since I like naming my files by story id (makes re-downloading easier in case of updates). If you leave out the output filename option from the command line, files will be named author_name_-_story_title by default.

I've got a bunch of concurrent versions of the PHP scripts (for testing and differing usage scenarios) and I'm going to need to consolidate them into as few versions as possible. Heck, I don't even know what version of epub.codec.php I uploaded. It might be one of the broken ones since my only concern when I uploaded the scripts is that it's usable with a Calibre recipe. epub generation wasn't exactly a requirement. After I do some code clean-up, I'll post a fixed/updated version of the script here.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #69
Mnementh
Groupie

Just tried it again and you're right it does create the epub file correctly just crashes out when finished by the look of it. I see what you mean about the formatting improvements, it's only a little thing but it does look better. I feel really stupid for not trying that now, I honestly don't know why I didn't. I suppose it was one of those cases of a blanked mind cause I've never used php before so I didn't even try any of the simple troubleshooting steps first, DOH.

Thanks for the tip about the output name I only read completed stories so that will be the best option for me. I've actually tried two versions of your epub.codec.php just in case that was the problem and to be completely honest i now have no idea which one I'm actually using but I'm not gonna touch it while it works.

Thanks for all your help it really is appreciated.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #70
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Glad you got it working.

What I find most useful about the PHP script is it gives summary information in the description and tags the epub based on category (although if all you have are Harry Potter fanfics, that might be a bit redundant). That makes it really convenient when you're browsing the ebooks in Stanza.

Attached is a screenshot from Stanza (using Calibre's built-in server).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	1670
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	26719  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #71
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

FanFiction.Net changed handling of crossover fanfics - again. They also changed the formatting slightly (added graphics and stuff) so ffnet.source.php is currently broken (at least the ones that have been uploaded here). I've fixed the one on my webhost so that one should at least work. HTML only, though. I'm on a shared host so I'm still trying to figure out how I can install Calibre on the server.
Code:
http://www.utterlyinsane.org/fflag/print.php?storyid=1234567
Doing a general clean up of the source code before I upload. I was changing some stuff when FF.Net suddenly changed stuff so right now, the source code is really messy.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #72
Mnementh
Groupie

Your work is appreciated.

FFNet appear to be changing stuff just for the sake of changing stuff at the moment.

Any news on a new version of ffnet.source.php being uploaded or are you waiting to see if they change things again?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #73
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

The current ffnet.source.php is a horrible mess right now since I'm doing a bunch of work on it (trying to convert it so I can download author/category collections ala Calibre news recipe). I've also got way too many versions so even I'm confused which ones I've fixed and which ones I haven't. Unfortunately, I'm more inclined to actually read fanfics right now instead of fixing up source code.

I'll try to find the latest version I have and clean it up as much as possible before I upload it somewhere.

They haven't changed things in the past two days. I'm hoping it stays that way for a while...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #74
Mnementh
Groupie

I can definitely empathise with you there, I seem to do nothing but read fan-fiction at the moment. I'm spending a good 10 hours a day reading after getting home from work, my TV hasn't been switched on in about three weeks

Your script has revolutionised the way I was grabbing fics, I was originally cutting and pasting everything into a text file and then converting, as I'm sure you realise that took a LONG time. I downloaded over thirty fics with your script in the time it would have taken me to do one the old way.

Take your time with the update I'm certainly not gonna push you for it, when you think it's ready I'll be happy to get it. I've downloaded quite a few fics while the old script was still working so I'm happy for quite a while now mind you I have deleted a fair few of them after only reading a few pages they were so poorly written...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #75
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Lol, that's one of the reasons I was working on an "omnibus" version. I can download a whole bunch of fics in one file and read without interruption. Afterwards, I just download individual epubs for the ones that catch my fancy.

Another thing, the thanks goes to erayd for the original script and rgibbo for the Windows port. Without their work to build upon, I couldn't have possibly done anything myself. Heck, prior to this, I didn't know anything about PHP and I've long given up on doing things the manual way.

Tags
converter, fanfiction, fanfiction.net, grabber, lrf