Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Recommend good HTML editors per platform?

Recommend good HTML editors for PC, Linux, & Mac?

Hello HTML people. I'm just beginning with HTML. But I want to recommend some good HTML editors to new calibre users in the KISS thread. I'm a Mac user and recently got BBedit again after not using it for 7 or 8 years or so. Looks pretty good as an HTML editor but it's Mac only. And if there's a better one for Mac users I'd love to try it.

Are there any excellent "open software" tools or are all the good ones proprietary? What do you use, on what platforms?

Edit: BTW, I'm aware of the comparison charts on Wikipedia for HTML editors and for Text editors. I'm asking which ones you use and would recommend?

Last edited by unboggling; 08-27-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I use Notepad++... Tried others, always come back to this one.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I use Notepad++... Tried others, always come back to this one.
Notepad++, by itself, is somewhat crude for HTML. Adding the WebEdit plugin, though, makes it rather useable.

Personally I use the Notepad++/WebEdit combo often. For the more simple (x)HTML editing required for ebooks, it handles the job well. Only occasionally do I use Dreamweaver.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notepad++ with WebEdit plugin, open source, Windows only. Free. Sounds good to me. Thanks.

PS. I guess Linux and other unix-type users are usually already advanced enough to be using whatever they want to use.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-28-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: PS
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
If you're interested only because you want to turn that HTML into ePub or Mobi (and not for working on a website), Sigil is multi-platform, open source and has a split view of both code and preview. Though, technically, it could be considered an XHTML editor...
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
If you're interested only because you want to turn that HTML into ePub or Mobi (and not for working on a website), Sigil is multi-platform, open source and has a split view of both code and preview. Though, technically, it could be considered an XHTML editor...
I have Sigil, and am relatively new to it. But I hadn't really been thinking of it as primarily a general editing application because it's not really a general text manipulator that can open lots of file types. Though it does well with ePub and (x)HTML intended for books. And has both character mode and regex mode search/replace.

I was interested more in terms of recommending applications/tools to new users of calibre that they might find useful. Already had Sigil high on that list. Thanks for the reminder, made me think about its regex capability.

(I read somewhere around here that some writers actually use Sigil to write their books.)

Last edited by unboggling; 08-28-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
TextWrangler on OS X. It's the free little brother of BBEdit.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Vim on Linux.
Vim on Windows.
Vim on Mac.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
But BBEdit is a lot cheaper now than it used to be — only $39.99 at the moment! And well worth it, IMO.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But BBEdit is a lot cheaper now than it used to be — only $39.99 at the moment! And well worth it, IMO.
True, but in a few months when it goes back to $99 $49 TextWrangler is a good alliterative.

Also, Aptana Studio or Eclipse with the WTP plugin make good HTML editors. Aptana is based on Eclipse and they are multi-platform.

Last edited by user_none; 08-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #11
unboggling
Wizard

Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'll add Text Wrangler to the list. I've used it too, like BBedit a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Vim on Linux.
Vim on Windows.
Vim on Mac.
I'll put Vim on the list too. Been meaning to check it out. Command line interface only, right?

Quote:
True, but in a few months when it goes back to $99 $49 TextWrangler is a good alliterative.

Also, Aptana Studio or Eclipse with the WTP plugin make good HTML editors. Aptana is based on Eclipse and they are multi-platform.
They both look interesting. I'll add those too with a note that IDEs may be intimidating to people who have little experience developing software.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
TextTangler would be a good alliterative....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I'll put Vim on the list too. Been meaning to check it out. Command line interface only, right?
No, there's gvim too. It's not wysiwyg, if that's what you mean...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
No, there's gvim too. It's not wysiwyg, if that's what you mean...
Thanks for the clarification. I just downloaded MacVim 7.3 (snapshot 61) 64 bit binary for OS X 10.6 & 10.7. I want to see what it can do. A Vim user mentioned some weeks ago that Vim had a lot of undiscovered capabilities that are great to stumble across.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I just downloaded MacVim 7.3 (snapshot 61) 64 bit binary for OS X 10.6 & 10.7. I want to see what it can do. A Vim user mentioned some weeks ago that Vim had a lot of undiscovered capabilities that are great to stumble across.
Vim takes a while to get used to, with its different modes and keyboard-driven approach, but it's soooo worth it. It's hard to imagine a better text editor.

Fire up vimtutor and you're off and running.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote