Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
transman
transman began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic Dossier
Plasticlogic News

More news on the plasticlogic reader on the Business Weekly website. Subscription needed for access but article can be read on cache from google.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

Still looks very promising but no indication when they will have devices for sale.

transman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Not on topic, but this proves what I've long asserted: Google is a pirate and thief. Something that the content carrier provides on a paid subscription basis should not be freely available from "Google's cache".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is with Business Weekly's website. No search bot should be able to read the contently of the pay section unless security on the site is broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if I leave my windows unlatched on an otherwise locked house, and thieves come through the window and steal my favorite gimboo - I bear all the responsibility?

Google is the world's largest criminal organization, in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Whether an indexing robot are a thief of welcome guest is on the internet determined by the robots.txt

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/robots.txt
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I disagree, but won't pursue the debate. Yes, I know about robots.txt; I've been a web developer since there was a web. I've never convinced anyone to accept my viewpoint and no one has convinced me that I'm wrong. So, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I disagree, but won't pursue the debate. Yes, I know about robots.txt; I've been a web developer since there was a web. I've never convinced anyone to accept my viewpoint and no one has convinced me that I'm wrong. So, back to your regularly scheduled topic...
Yep, its one of those life changing issue people agree to disagree on like:

abortion,
religion,
the death penalty,
legalizing marijuana,
is Google evil?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Google is the world's largest criminal organization, in my opinion.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
You convinced me. (On the other hand, I believe I have been abducted by Munchkins, so this might not be a point in your favor.)

No, seriously, it was obvious once I thought about it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima_dat View Post
Thank you Lima_dat. I am DEFINITELY the boy with the tinfoil. He was my favorite character in that movie. A perfectly balanced, well-adjusted, reasonable and open minded young man. And I'm obligated to note, he was RIGHT.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you Lima_dat. I am DEFINITELY the boy with the tinfoil. He was my favorite character in that movie. A perfectly balanced, well-adjusted, reasonable and open minded young man. And I'm obligated to note, he was RIGHT.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 05-23-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

So, anyway, we were saying...

That video they show is hilarious, with the shoe. I love how they slow down at the last second when they hit their screen, but SLAM the LCD. With a shoe. Not a hammer or a dropped can of pop or something. A shoe. Too funny.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That video they show is hilarious, with the shoe. I love how they slow down at the last second when they hit their screen, but SLAM the LCD. With a shoe. Not a hammer or a dropped can of pop or something. A shoe. Too funny.
Ha, you noticed that too? I thought I was just imagining it.

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Being able to it it lightly with a shoe is a step in the right direction. These devices need to be durable.

You don't hold your MP3 player gingerly whilst chanting, "it's a thin piece of glass. It's a thin piece of glass." You don't leap in slow motion to snatch it to safety from the destructive forces of your spouses buttock. You don't try to drop it but, if it happens it's probably not going to break.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I know, I know... but there are machines for impact testing, which can be calibrated and so on, which they could have used to show how their screen fares vs. an LCD.

Instead, they took off a shoe and whacked the LCD, but "pulled their punch", so to speak, with their screen. With a SHOE.

Am I the only one who thinks that is funny? I picture the tester standing there with one shoe on, maybe standing on one foot... or if not him, then some other poor schmuck. "Hey! You there, yeah you. Take off your shoe! We're doing a video... no time to explain, just give me your shoe!"

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-23-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
plasticlogic ereader