Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
The Jelly Bean has landed.

We're live with 4.1.1. Everyone should see this update today.

You can fast track the experience by going to:

Settings> About Tablet> System Updates

Improved Search
Now leverages Google's Knowledge Graph by search either by text or voice to get instant spoken answers

Google Now – Predicts information user may be looking for before you even ask it based on location, time of day, history, calendar events.
It can show you how long it can take you to commute to work
Show you restaurants in your area
Tell you when the next bus or train is coming
Sports information
When travelling, give you flight information and inform you if your flight is delay
Return currency exchange rates

Voice Recognition
Text-to-speech is vastly improved and voice typing works without a data connection (entering emails, notes, etc)

Project Butter – improve responsiveness and cuts down on touch lag times and delays in launching apps

Expandable Notifications – larger, richer notifications
Actionable – Users can now act on a notification without having to open the app (I.e. Return a call immediately from the notifications bar)
Expand/Collapse notifications to see more or less details
Photos – notifications can now contain photos
Keyboard enhancements – predictive typing is improved

Security Enhancements
improvements in blocking malware

Face Unlock now uses Blink Detect so a static photo can't unlock your device

Last edited by Kobo-Robin; 03-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm on this! Updating now.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I can see that apps load up noticeably faster. Haven't played around much yet, but everything looks good.

Rock on, Robin.

Last edited by mr_nihilism; 03-21-2013 at 02:15 PM.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for USB OTG support!
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmss View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for USB OTG support!
Sorry, but no.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
nmss
nmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy bluenmss can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Arc, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Sorry, but no.

D'OH!
nmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Staged rollout? Just checking on my wife's unit and no upgrade available yet for her
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Updated to jellybean.... one of the features on my phone that I love is the ability to customize the lock screen - with different wallpaper, weather, tickers etc. I'm not sure why this was not included..... ???
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Staged rollout? Just checking on my wife's unit and no upgrade available yet for her
I had to hit the update button three times before it'd give me the update, so perhaps clicking a few times'll help...

Now, let the bitching and moaning that it's not 4.2.x commence. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I had to hit the update button three times before it'd give me the update, so perhaps clicking a few times'll help...

Now, let the bitching and moaning that it's not 4.2.x commence. :P
That's my favourite part!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
That's my favourite part!
Awesome.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Hmm. It's gotten all slow and laggy since the update. When it works, which it only did for a few minutes in the first session after the update.

Tapestries is constantly crashing. (and is currently flashing as it tries to load and crashes instantly, not giving me time to open the app drawer or anything; powering down and rebooting did nothing to fix it. I can't even get into the app drawer to kill it or open Google Play to download an alternative launcher to use in the meantime)

EDIT: Managed to launch Google Play because Google Search/Now wants an update and had a card with a link to the store. It is a VERY evil update - one of the new permissions it wants is to be able to use the camera and record from the microphone WITHOUT USER INPUT. It even tells you outright that "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation." (note that the unupdated version doesn't need that permission to activate voice search from the lock screen) and "This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation." (there is NO legitimate reason for it to have such permission) Man, I wish I hadn't updated...

EDIT 2: And I see we're stuck with the phone versions of various apps, like the Settings being single-pane and the recent apps list centered and taking up almost the entire screen (with the icons being almost twice as large as before, so you see fewer).

EDIT 3: Managed to download and install an alternate launcher (Nova). Really sucks that I *HAVE* to do that in order to use my $230 hardware...

EDIT 4: Petty Jelly Bean complaints:

1) If you have multiple apps to do the same thing (such as web browsers), you now have to tap twice every time to select "Just Once" if you want to keep getting prompted, as opposed to the old way where it automatically prompted you every time until you checked the always-use-this-app box and would launch immediately when you tapped the app you wanted to use. :/ Very petty, yes, but also actually very annoying.

2) The clock and battery and wi-fi statuses are all tiny and hard to read up at the top of the screen, taking up half a centimeter of valuable real estate - and are part of Tapestries' problems, I'll bet - instead of being large and visible down in the now wasted space of the button bar.

3) The centering of the Back, Home, and Recent buttons means I can't comfortably reach them with my left thumb when in landscape mod, like I used to. Can just barely reach Back, if I stretch a bit painfully, but not Home or Recent (the latter of which, with stretching and pain, I can just barely reach with my right thumb). Yes, it is not good having to take one of my hands off the tablet in order to hit the buttons. It's not much better in portrait mode, BTW.

EDIT 5: Just noticed that now you have to go into the Settings -> Display -> Brightness in order to adjust the brighness, rather than just from the notifications area... (where I used to just tap twice to reach it; don't like auto-brightness, but now I basically have no choice but to use it :/) Same goes for toggling wi-fi on and off, though at least that toggle's on the main settings menu. And no way to toggle off notifications. Ugh!

*sigh* I really wish I hadn't updated since, of course, there is no way to roll back the change, even with a factory reset and losing (and then having to take an hour+ to reload) the 10GB of music & video I keep on there. :/

Last edited by JD Gumby; 03-21-2013 at 10:12 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Thanks JD Gumby - I was stuck in the same flashing tapestries, can't do anything cycle. I long-pressed on the home icon until I was able to run Google; went to the Play Store home page and downloaded the Nova launcher. At least now I can access my device.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
I was lucky.I already had nova and had uninstalled or disabled everything with the name kobo attached. So far only one crash. The only positive so far is the removal of the volume limiter on the headphone output. No gps on the tablet means you require a wifi connection for a lot of the features of google now.if your out and about that means tethering to your mobile.expensive in Canada iirc.biggest disappointment no OTG. I am looking forward to being able to return calls from the notification bar though.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Everything went smoothly with my update. No crashes, no slowness.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote