Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Do you skip parts of book in a series?

Last week I was reading Changes from Harry Dressden series by Jim Butcher. I like the series and planning to re-read it after finishing the Ghost story. But I noticed that I skipped many parts in the book. Especially, where Harry starts thinking and talking to himself. Maybe it’s because I already know how he thinks and too eager to know the story than dwelling in his thoughts. I did it while reading previous books in the series as well. The funny part is that I don’t feel I missed anything. I remember doing the same while reading last book of the first law series by Joe Abercrombie. I am wondering if this happens with any of you as well when reading a series.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I try not to. But, there have been a few times where I started a series somewhere in the middle and had to back-track to get the first few books.

I started the Dark Tower series with book #3 on mistake. It wasn't until I finished it and saw that the bookshelf held the other books out of order.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I generally don’t do this. Maybe I will take a break from back to back books in a series and read more standalone books for some time.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Never. Either I like the series and read it from end to end, or I drop it after the first book. If I don't read it the way the author intended it to be read, I might not 'get it' and I feel it is kind of a waste.

The only thing I skip is poems in texts.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I generally like to read a series in chronological order.
I am currently reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/ Maturin Series. I was going to break up the series and read other books in between. I did that with the first two books in the series. Unfortunately, (maybe) I have read the next four back to back.
I do not skip sections of a book either.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I do skip over the recaps that are done to bring new readers up to speed. I don't need to read it in a 20 book series over & over again. I understand why they do it, but since I know the back story I don't have a problem with skipping it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1st time I read cover to cover. But after that I skip. Also IF it been awhile since I read the series I will read cover to cover again.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I've done that once, with Plains of Passage by Jean Auel. She has a nasty habit of repeating herself. After skipping sections a few times and still finding stuff repeating, I gave up on the book and, thus, the rest of the series.

First and only time I've done that.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
The only thing I skip is poems in texts.
That's about it for me too, especially when the poems are in a language that I don't understand (like Elvish or Entish).
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have never skipped any parts of a book. Well... fiction, at least. Textbooks, I might read selectively.

I do give up on books, if I think they are not... fun. And I have given up on series before (The Wheel of Time, comes to mind). But no, skipping.... no.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
No, I'm too paranoid about missing something important. Plus, I'd fret and the fretting would affect my concentration.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I usually read everything, since I read books in between series books I like having a recap. But I will also skip poems and skim dream sequences.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
That's about it for me too, especially when the poems are in a language that I don't understand (like Elvish or Entish).
I first read that as "elvish or english" and thought "me too!"! Then "hey, wait a minute.."...
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is hard for me to skip sections of a book. When I read I do not see the text, pages or my surroundings. One reason I can not walk and read. I would fall into a man hole or get run over.
It is similar to watching a movie from inside my head. Maybe that is why I prefer to read rather than go to movies. No sticky floors, screaming kids or over priced candy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I periodically re-read Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan books - but there are parts of Mirror Dance that I just can't re-read... too painful (oddly, it's not Mark's torture,but Mark's attempt to rescue the clones that I find painful). I generally skip most of the Dinner Party scene in A Civil Campaign as well. I just hate watching beloved characters make asses of themselves.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote