Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
any Android that shows a drive letter in Windows 7?

I'm in the market for a new Android tablet and would really like one that shows up with a drive letter when connected to my Windows 7 netbook. Is that a function of Android or Windows 7 that keeps the letter from being assigned?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm in the market for a new Android tablet and would really like one that shows up with a drive letter when connected to my Windows 7 netbook. Is that a function of Android or Windows 7 that keeps the letter from being assigned?
Some Android tablets use UMS, and will show up as a letter on your Windows PC, usually the first available after C.

Other tablets user the MTP interface (most recent ones), and they do not show as a letter, but as a device (like a camera would).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some Android tablets use UMS, and will show up as a letter on your Windows PC, usually the first available after C.

Other tablets user the MTP interface (most recent ones), and they do not show as a letter, but as a device (like a camera would).

Thanks, off to google UMS and Android - hopefully to find some that have it.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Thanks, off to google UMS and Android - hopefully to find some that have it.
Why do you want it to be detected as a drive if you want it because you want to use calibre then you can use calibre companion app. All the latest Android tablets that have no sd card support won't have usb hard disk support.
And to get the best experience on an android tablet you need at least ICS.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Why do you want it to be detected as a drive if you want it because you want to use calibre then you can use calibre companion app. All the latest Android tablets that have no sd card support won't have usb hard disk support.
And to get the best experience on an android tablet you need at least ICS.
Ah, but Companion uses wifi and I camp for long periods of time in the Ntl Forests with just my tablet and netbook - no wifi and limited internet access. Companion is great when I'm home with wifi access.
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well we can hope for Chaley or Kovid coming up with a mtp driver for calibre. Now as more devices are going mtp the current way calibre is not as useful for many devices.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I believe that android switched from UMS to MTP to avoid problems with OTA updates while a drive was shared with a host PC.

You can change an android device from MTP to UMS by unloading the MTP gadget and loading a USB Mass Storage Device gadget in the android device. Or you can change your startup scripts to always start up as a UMS device. But remember that the default USB gadget was changed for a reason (as mentioned above).

You might find this useful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683223
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I know that the Kobo Vox is not the most highly regarded device out there but it does do what you want:shows up as a drive letter on your computer when usb storage is enabled. It's really a reader with tablet features, runs on Gingerbread and has gotten better since its last update as far as battery life and other features. It has a specially treated screen to make reading outdoors in sunlight easier than most other tablets. It's cheap, can be found for $180 or less.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I know that the Kobo Vox is not the most highly regarded device out there but it does do what you want:shows up as a drive letter on your computer when usb storage is enabled. It's really a reader with tablet features, runs on Gingerbread and has gotten better since its last update as far as battery life and other features. It has a specially treated screen to make reading outdoors in sunlight easier than most other tablets. It's cheap, can be found for $180 or less.
I have no problem with the Vox except I've decided, after looking at several 7" tablets, that they are just too small. Right now I'm considering the 7.7" Toshiba Excite and the 8.2" Motorola Droid xyboard and leaning towards the droid.

Edit; Nope, not the droid - the verizon salesman said it had a microsd slot, but turns out it does not - a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by peaceridge; 09-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
On my Note I can manually switch to UMS, and then in Windows 7 I see 2 drives with letter (one for the SD Card). Default it say N7000, the Note.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, I also see two drive letters for my Note, which I use as a tablet, not a phone. Though I don't think I have ever had to "switch" it, I just connect it to the computer. Mine is an AT&T model though.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
My Nook Tablet shows up as a drive, two drives if I have an SD card in it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard

Well looks like Kovid is releasing beta MTP drivers next week so you dont have to worry about this anymore

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190708
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Well looks like Kovid is releasing beta MTP drivers next week so you dont have to worry about this anymore

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190708
Kovid (and his helpers) do an unbelievable job! I'm really looking forward to this release!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Ah, but Companion uses wifi and I camp for long periods of time in the Ntl Forests with just my tablet and netbook - no wifi and limited internet access. Companion is great when I'm home with wifi access.
You can set up an ad hoc WiFi connection with your netbook. I think-you definitely can on a Win7 laptop. I see no reason (other than possible M$ marketing) why a netbook would be different.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote