Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
yotzeret
yotzeret began at the beginning.

Device: Why, all of them, of course!
Question Sigil 0.5.3 extremely slow to reflect changes

I exported an EPUB from Adobe InDesign CS6 and am tweaking it in Sigil (ver. 0.5.3) before I send it out to be cataloged, but every little change, whether to the CSS or one character, takes an extremely long time to register, and meanwhile just shows an insert character pointer. Saving after each correction doesn't help. And undo doesn't work at all.

I'm using Sigil 0.5.3 on a PC, running Win 7 Home Premium with 4Gb RAM and a 64-bit OS.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
yotzeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotzeret View Post
Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Yes, the following reasons will slow down Sigil significally:
- filesize of a single html above 1Meg (uncompressed)
- Number of paragraphs in a file above 5000
- Number of Files above 150
- Number of links above 500

It seams that your book is quite large ...
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If your epub is comprised of one single novel-sized html file, Sigil can be quite sluggish to respond to changes (especially when switching from Code View to Book View), if that's what you mean. But it immediately responds quicker after you divide it into smaller "chapters." Other than that situation... I experience no "slowness" to speak of... on much less computer than the one you mentioned I might add.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
yotzeret
yotzeret began at the beginning.

Device: Why, all of them, of course!
That helps a lot, thanks. It is a fairly large novel. I've already divided up the front matter, including a map, but I will go ahead and divide up the rest of the sections before tweaking the CSS further.

It reminds me of the good old days: make a change to a file, or (gasp!) print it, and while waiting, fix dinner and take in a movie. Might be done by then. :-)
yotzeret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The changes will also keep it from locking up some older Sony readers which can not handle sections over about 300k.

By chapter is logical and makes it easier to work with and apply changes to if necessary.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
slow, undo