Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Baconwich
Baconwich began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Touch, lines on screen, doesn't seem to be charging. Help?

Hi!

Recently recieved a Kobo Touch as a gift from a friend who wasn't using it anymore. He was having issues with a few lines along the top of the screen, but nothing major otherwise.

Yesterday I performed a factory reset, and when I connected it to my computer it downloaded the latest firmware. Think it was going from 1.9.6 but I'm not sure.

Worked fine for the first few minutes until I tried reading a book. It was having trouble with page turns, started jumping around the book at random, and the screen slowly started to fill up with random lines.

After resetting it a couple of times, trying to charge it, and generally tinkering with it, for a while, tapping on the screen would cause the random lines to change, but I wasn't getting much in the way of a display. Sometimes, though, I'd get the main menu screen, or the "hooked up to your computer" screen, and they'd be perfect, aside from a couple of smallish lines at the top.

As soon as I tried using it again it would just go back to the random lines on the screen. Then it became unresponsive. Completely.

I left it to charge overnight(tried two cables: one hooked up to my computer, and another hooked up to AC power), and when I woke up it had a different set of random lines on screen(it was mostly white with some black when I went to bed. Now it's black with some white lines), but was still completely unresponsive.

It's plugged in now, green light showing. If I hit the slider switch it turns blue briefly but goes back to green, and if I hit the reset button on the back it does the same. Blue, then back to green. The screen doesn't change.

Also I seem to be completely unable to initiate a factory reset(hold the bar button, quickly hit/release the slider? Or am I doing it wrong?), as that just results in the same blue light for a couple of seconds, then green again.

It doesn't seem promising, but as it was a gift from a friend, and I do not have the receipt to take it back to the store, any help at all would be appreciated.
Baconwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconwich View Post
Hi!

Also I seem to be completely unable to initiate a factory reset(hold the bar button, quickly hit/release the slider? Or am I doing it wrong?), as that just results in the same blue light for a couple of seconds, then green again.
I'm fairly new to all this myself, but I will try to help. I've never done a factory reset that way. With unit on I go to home, then settings, then device info. I think the factory reset option is at the bottom of the page. Maybe try that. Also, when I read your thread, at the bottom of the page it shows you threads similar to yours. There was 1 which sounded like same problem as you but I don't think they got any answers either.

You could try emailing Kobo? Different people seem to have different experiences with their customer service but at this point it couldn't hurt? I'm guessing they'd tell you to reset it first, so I'd try again as I suggested above.

Good luck.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It sounds like your screen is messed up, I had a Kobo-1 that did that. It should still be under warranty, so they should be able to replace it.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
One last thing to try to get it to factory reset: before you do what you're describing above, HOLD the power button ON for 10 or 15 seconds. This makes sure the unit is actually turned off, then reset might work. Otherwise it sounds like something hardware messed up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a photograph of the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
green light, kobo touch, screen