Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #46
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
I have one of these if you need:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=31
You can easily adjust it mount on your kindle if you want? PM me and I can share the link - I'd rather not host it as I don't have the bandwith or space...
I could host this for you, I just came looking for this and couldn't find the website. mind sending me a pm?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #47
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I can host it as well, extra mirror &etc
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #48
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the image along with the original bootdeb.sh script and screenshots of the webpage in a Dropbox folder, please add to your Dropbox (if possible) instead of directly downloading as there are limits to the bandwidth used by files on Dropbox.
Please note that this URL was shortened by bitly to keep track of how often it is downloaded.
http://bit.ly/1c1iSsX
Here are some more links:
Onedrive
Copy.com
Box.com
Google Drive
Another Google Drive link
These all should hopefully have no limits to downloading, but I don't know.

Edit: ALL of these cloud services allow you to add it to your account and download it from there, PLEASE do this instead. Thank you

Last edited by Glorfindel; 06-18-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #49
Salah
Enthusiast
Salah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I've just tried it on my kindle 4 and it worked, but first i had to create this folder inside /mnt
Code:
mkdir /mnt/debian
Thanks for hosting the files
Edit: is apt-get working for you?

Last edited by Salah; 04-07-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Salah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #50
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

You're Welcome
I haven't gotten around to installing this so I don't know if apt-get should work or not.
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #51
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
/mnt/us is a link to /mnt/base-us??? (something like that) so it's better to mount the image on the Kindle there instead of modifying the rootfs - "mkdir /mnt/base-us/kindle" and mount the image there.

If wifi is on, the image should allow apt-get.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #52
Salah
Enthusiast

ap-get update doesnt work properly, it blocks the Kindle when downloading some updates
Code:
root@kindle:/# apt-get update
Ign file: wheezy Release.gpg
Ign file: wheezy Release             
Err file: wheezy/main armel Packages 
  File not found
Err file: wheezy/contrib armel Packages
  File not found
Ign file: wheezy/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign file: wheezy/contrib Translation-en
Ign file: wheezy/main Translation-en_US
Ign file: wheezy/main Translation-en 
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg      
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy Release          
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/main armel Packages [5,710 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/contrib armel Packages [34.0 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/non-free armel Packages [57.7 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en [34.8 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/main Translation-en [3,848 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en [66.1 kB]        
99% [1 Packages bzip2 0 B] [6 Translation-en 8,335 B/66.1 kB 13%]
Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, that's a known issue, either related to not-enough-RAM or vfat over fuse (i.e., /mnt/us) being terrible, can't remember. Check the early answers, can't remember if/what people did about it (repartitioning to have a sizeable ext3/4 part, possibly?).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #54
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

did you edit the /mountpoint/etc/apt/sources.list file to point to what you want?

I never mounted that image to my kindle but I know images in general worked when mounted to /mnt/base-us/kindle

Last edited by brianinmaine; 04-08-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #55
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

I added more download links to my post here
Old 04-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #56
Salah
Enthusiast

it has almost no free ram, what procs should i kill to free some more ram?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah View Post
it has almost no free ram, what procs should i kill to free some more ram?
Create a swap file and enable swap.

That is the way Twobob (and others) have dealt with lack of free ram.
You should be able to find detailed instructions in at least one of his posts.

There is also a list, perhaps not for your device/firmware version, of things that can be killed off (although once swap is enabled, the system will roll those out to the swap file for you).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #58
Salah
Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing out that knc1, I've found this
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroFengBlade View Post
You can also make a new node inside /dev/ called swap for easier access:
Code:
mknod /dev/swap b 7 8 #b=block device, 7=use loop driver, 8=loop device number
Make a separate directory in /mnt/us/ called swap:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/swap
cd /mnt/us/swap
Make a new swap file:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M count=128
mkswap swapfile
Turn the file into a block device:
Code:
losetup /dev/swap /mnt/us/swap/swapfile
I made some scripts in /mnt/us/swap/ for easy swapping on/off:
swapon.sh
Spoiler:

mknod /dev/swap b 7 8
losetup /dev/swap /mnt/us/swap/swapfile
swapon /dev/swap

swapoff.sh
Spoiler:

swappoff /dev/swap #You don't really need a script for this, but I'm lazy

Swap on...swap off Sounds like wax on, wax off from the original Karate Kid, if you know what I'm talking about
but the commands swapon and swapoff dont work on the Kindle 4, i havent tried inside the chroot yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #59
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I do not know what you are talking about.

You can skip the part about using losetup to turn the file into a block device.
Linux can use a **file** as swap **or** a device.
Or any combination of them (files and devices).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #60
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Mostly it's easier to use the image to develop in, then export what you compile or need as dependencies. Fun to be able to, but practical?