Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Karina, from my about 3000 PDF files stored into a 16 GB SDCARD in my Acer Iconia TAB A500 with Honeycomb 3.0.1, your program haven't been able to recognize any PDF via automatic search.

It is not capable to open any of my PDFs. I've tried some of purchased Scientific American ones (NO DRM), one of about 250 MB scanned by myself and other net available PDF and none had been able to open.

THat with the last available version in the market.

Both RepliGo and ezPDF reader had opened then succesfully. Tried PDF are:

Ensayo sobre ciencia ficción: http://e-archivo.uc3m.es/bitstream/1...ATURA_2008.pdf
Some of Scientific American

Other thing I hate of ebook readers for 10" devices is lack of two/three column mode, mostly in landscape. If you try to read one book in that orientation you will see the insane it is. And only CoolReader implements a two column mode (but it has other problems as lack of formatting)...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Archos 101, Acer Iconia A500, HTC Incredible S...
Hello rfog,

I downloaded your book and successfully imported it into my library. Did you press the "refresh" button, which is the first one (a rounded arrow) in the black toolbar at the bottom?
About the 2 columns mode, it will be in the next release, next week :-)
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Gave it a try. It's promising.

Notable issues:
  • Slow.
  • Crashy.
  • Interface quirks, particularly the use of the back button, and the relative small size of controls on a phone.
  • Highlighting function should be included in long-click menu
  • Freehand annotations can be entered in the app, but predictably will not show up on Adobe Digital Editions. Furthermore, even inside the app, they will not show up unless explicitly opened from the Notes menus. (btw, where are they stored...?)
  • Annotation files created on device does not match the filenames created by Adobe Digital Editions. While it's possible to sync the folder, it seems the discrepancies will hinder the ability to share the annotations.
  • Dictionary lookup function supports ColorDict...?

Last edited by loyukfai; 05-21-2011 at 02:24 AM.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
Mollusk
Mollusk began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Vx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
It is not capable to open any of my PDFs. I've tried some of purchased Scientific American ones (NO DRM), one of about 250 MB scanned by myself and other net available PDF and none had been able to open.

THat with the last available version in the market.

Both RepliGo and ezPDF reader had opened then succesfully. Tried PDF are:

Ensayo sobre ciencia ficción: http://e-archivo.uc3m.es/bitstream/1...ATURA_2008.pdf
Some of Scientific American
Weird, I just tested presentacion_LITERATURA_2008.pdf on my Nexus One and a Galaxy Tab 10.1, works perfectly fine.

I agree with the 2 column mode for HoneyComb, it's kind of a shame to have so much empty space...
Mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
More Tweaks Needed For ePub Reading

I just tried it. It has much to offer! The layout is clean and intuitive.

With regard to reading epubs I'd have to pass on it for now though. Perhaps the following will be including in future updates: change background color (I'd be happy with Sepia and Grey to start), include night theme, change line spacing. I guess it's just implementing publisher defaults which is refreshing quite frankly. Moon+ Reader doesn't recognize publisher defaults. Just give us the option to turn off publisher defaults and choose the other things mentioned. In all honesty I don't mind the publisher defaults minus the white background.

Thank you for the free trial.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
Gave it a try. It's promising.

Notable issues:
  • Annotation files created on device does not match the filenames created by Adobe Digital Editions. While it's possible to sync the folder, it seems the discrepancies will hinder the ability to share the annotations.
Wasn't aware that ADE should be able to detect the device and sync accordingly... Will try it later and see how it goes...

Last edited by loyukfai; 05-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

PDF opening problem solved in latest update (1.1.5)

Quote:
Hello Rfog,

We've just published an update (version 1.1.5) which fixes this problem. This release includes many improvements such as better speed, ability to turn pages while listening to the TTS, direct access to the Mantano Support (through the Preferences), as well as bugfixes.
If you still have any other problem, please do not hesitate to signal them.

Last detail: we've added a few days to the trial period for the first users who already installed the trial version.

Best regards,
Karina
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
loyukfai
Zealot

Long-clicking now includes a highlight option, thanks!
  • Speed still needs to be worked on.
  • Text selection could use something like the 2.3/Gingerbread one.
  • Only in EPUB the text selection will automatically highlight whole word, in PDF it wouldn't.
  • Back button behaviour still not consistent (e.g. Open search, press back button, quits to main menu instead)
  • Other issues mentioned previously remains.
The app alone is not good enough to justify the purchase, but the quick responses by Karina and the team are promising. What's others' take...?

Has anybody tried if the desktop Adobe Digital Editions connection works, including annotations...? And is there any other app that does these (EPUB + PDF + ADE connection)...?

Cheers.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #24
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
Hi Loyukfai,

I'm one of the developers working on Mantano Reader. We are taking all of your comments into account, thanks for your suggestions.

Concerning the speed issue, could you elaborate a bit on which parts of the application feels to slow ? We are testing on different devices (2.2 and 2.3 smartphones, Archos tablets, and Honeycomb tablets) and the overall speed seems good when compared to most of the other reader apps.

The text selection with handles and the word highlighting in PDF files is on our todo list. The back button behaviour is currently being fixed.

We also checked ColorDict, and are considering its integration into our reader.

We hope we'll manage to convince you to buy the application someday ;-)

Cheers.
Gregory
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #25
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

on my ipod touch 3rd generation my wifes verizon iphone 4 with latests ios the app works fine and fast except when we use the page flip it signifigantly slows down the page turning and feels less responsive . all the other page turning modes are much more responsive.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #26
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Hello Rfog,

We've just published an update (version 1.1.5) which fixes this problem. This release includes many improvements such as better speed, ability to turn pages while listening to the TTS, direct access to the Mantano Support (through the Preferences), as well as bugfixes.
If you still have any other problem, please do not hesitate to signal them.

Last detail: we've added a few days to the trial period for the first users who already installed the trial version.

Best regards,
Karina
Sorry to be so late here, but I've been very busy.

I've installed the last update from market and now it seems being working well.

It has recognized and put in library ALL my PDFs and at least all I've tested are open without problem, including my 250 MB scanned PDF.

Simply great!!

I'm going to recommend it in my blog.

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #27
Karina
Enthusiast

Hello Rfog!
Quote:
Sorry to be so late here, but I've been very busy.

I've installed the last update from market and now it seems being working well.

It has recognized and put in library ALL my PDFs and at least all I've tested are open without problem, including my 250 MB scanned PDF.

Simply great!!

I'm going to recommend it in my blog.

Thank you very much for your comments and your wish to recommend our software! We are constantly working on improving it, so stay tuned!
Cheers,

Karina
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Karina
Enthusiast

Hello Covfam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
on my ipod touch 3rd generation my wifes verizon iphone 4 with latests ios the app works fine and fast except when we use the page flip it signifigantly slows down the page turning and feels less responsive . all the other page turning modes are much more responsive.
I'm not sure I fully understand. Our application does not work on iOS. Are you comparing the page turning between our application on your Galaxy tab (I see it in your list of devices), with other apps on iOS devices ? We are implementing an optimization to further improve the page turning speed, it will be included in an upcoming release, maybe this will solve your concern.

Cheers,
Karina
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #29
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
no i had a senior moment and posted in the wrong post please ignore what i wrote i was talking a different app sorry
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #30
loyukfai
Zealot

@GregoryP: What I meant was that there seems to be rooms for improvement still, having tried other apps like Kindle, Kobo, Aldiko, Moon+, ezPDF and some others before.

In particular, there's a noticeable delay for the menu to pop up after text selection by long-clicking.

Besides, most, if not all, operations under PDF mode are (understandably) slower than that in EPUB. For instance, zooming and selecting text inside a guidebook PDF file (2.21MB, 25 pages) are noticeable slow.

However, your team's quick responses and attention (together with the expiration of the trial period...) have swung me to purchase the app. Please keep on improving the app.

(Evaluated Aldiko and Moon+ before, but they don't seem to handle annotations as well as Mantano, the ability to sync with desktop ADE is a major selling point to me...)

Lastly, please consider adding more layout customization for EPUB, like background colour, font type, size and line spacing. Text reflow for PDF could be useful too. And the interface is kind of confusing, maybe you can consolidate the various highlight and text selection options under a single item...

Cheers.