Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's Steve Jobs' fault..

...IMO.

His deal with the "Gang of 5" Publishers, ushered in the era of the "Agency Model" which has led to higher ebook prices and sales tax on those same ebooks.

Steve Jobs is not a friend of the ebook reading public.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Steve Jobs is only a friend to Steve Jobs and the vision of a Steve Jobsian future where every good little boy and girl does exactly what Steve Jobs wants them to, and they all play in his garden and nobody else's and everyone likes megalomaniacs in turtle-necks.

Me, I'll take Penguins and Devils any day of the week over Apples and Windows.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
...IMO.

His deal with the "Gang of 5" Publishers, ushered in the era of the "Agency Model" which has led to higher ebook prices and sales tax on those same ebooks.

I've said this from the beginning, only I didn't say it too loudly, in case of lynch mobs. Go, Daffy!!

Publishers themselves aren't friends of the ebook reading public, either.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Trying to put photos on an iPod Touch using iTunes is like having teeth pulled with no painkillers.

So this is Steve Jobs' idea of how people really want to work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
can't say I dissagree! in fact karma on that!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
...IMO.
Wasn't he the guy that said people "People don't read anymore."
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I have to agree, Apple definitely paved the way for the agency model.

Of course I don't view the agency model as 100% awful; most of the hair-pulling is unwarranted, especially since it's highly similar to the models used by Scribd, Smashwords, Amazon DTP....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I think that Steve Jobs believes Apple saved the music industry. The recording industry executives just didn't get it and made bad decision after bad decisions and he showed them how it had to be done. They didn't admit they were wrong and then blamed Apple for lowering the value of the music instead of thanking them for salvaging what remains.

He watched Amazon copy exactly what Apple did in the book publishing industry and it was working well. Then he saw the publishing executives blame Amazon for all their problems. I'm sure he was just shaking his head.

When I look at his background with Pixar and Apple I see that he understands risk. With Pixar they make about 1 movie a year. They have to pick one story and then throw huge resources into animating it and promoting it to make sure it's a hit. They've delivered almost every movie. It's the same with developing any computer electronic gadget. Huge capital investment in R&D and one shot or you're a failure.

If I picture him sitting in a board room with a book publishing executive, doing their normal talking points about the enormous risks they're taking, I picture him wetting his pants laughing. I recall an Apple executive making a comment about the book publishing industry being dysfunctional, and I think that's closer to the truth.

I suspect that Apple tried to negotiate reason with the book publishers and wasn't getting anywhere so they signed a deal that was good for Apple. A guaranteed 30% for an electronic transaction is a very good deal for Apple and a very bad move by the book publishers.

I don't blame Steve Jobs for the BPH stupidity. Apple just bought time. I have enough other things to blames Steve Jobs for.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I "believe" that the iPad would have sold just as well without the iBook bookstore. Leaving it as just an app with a "bring your own non-DRM ePub" flavor would have been great. Jobs could have said "no" to the Gang of 5.

Steve Jobs has caused ebooks to take a huge step backwards with the prices rising after all the other retailers were starting to lower their prices.

Several weeks ago I was having my car serviced and was reading my Kindle while waiting. A woman started asking questions about it because she was thinking of buying one and *she* mentioned how she had read about the coming higher prices. More people may be aware of the change than I thought but I don't think they all understand that Jobs opened the floodgates.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do think that Jobs should have partnered with txtr and brought the txtr app on board since it supports the Adept. Also, the iPad really needs a way to get data onto it so the apps can access it. Apple is forcing people to jailbreak the iPad in order to be able to use it the way they should be able to us it.

But, I also agree 100% that Apple is at fault for the Agency model. All the Agency model has done is make eBooks hard to find/buy and the prices are all over the place. I think Jobs is taking his "People don't read anymore" statement and trying to make it true.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't really mind it myself. Prices are all over the place on paper books when I shop around for them as well. Especially for hardcover books. I've dealt with that for years so having the same thing for e-books doesn't bother me.

If a book costs more than I want to pay, I skip it and go buy and read one of the other gazillion books I want to read. No different with e-books now than it was with paper books my whole life.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I don't really mind it myself. Prices are all over the place on paper books when I shop around for them as well. Especially for hardcover books. I've dealt with that for years so having the same thing for e-books doesn't bother me.

If a book costs more than I want to pay, I skip it and go buy and read one of the other gazillion books I want to read. No different with e-books now than it was with paper books my whole life.
But one of the new problems is now the availability is not what it should be.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But one of the new problems is now the availability is not what it should be.
Hasn't affected me yet personally, so I can speak to that. I only read 1-2 books a month (and some are public domain) and read pretty mainstream books and a lot of older stuff, so it just doesn't have much impact on me.

My take on is that it will eventually play out that the e-book is launched at a higher price when the hardcover is the only version out (not the hardcover cover price, but maybe $15 or so varying by book), then will drop to at or below the paperback price when that version is released.

I have no problem with that scheme if that is indeed what comes to play. I waited for cheaper paperback versions all my life, I can wait for the e-book to drop in price on the same schedule. Again, assuming that's how things play out.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It's unfathomable to me the influence of one person (and his company) to virtually derail an entire industry. I can accept the "fanboy" allegiance to Apple products, Apple pricing, etc. It's a personal choice.

I cannot accept this affecting those consumers who choose not to join the Apple fan club. Why should pricing deals negotiated with Apple be foisted onto the entire reading public? Who aren't using Apple products?

This may not fix the exact legal definition of price fixing, but it certainly is imposing its effects upon all buyers.

I will continue voting with my wallet. I will never purchase an Apple product. I will purchase only those ebooks that I feel are reasonably priced, based on the pre-Agency pricing models. I will look elsewhere for books that I feel are unreasonably priced.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I just think the blame and anger belongs directed at the price fixing cartel (gang of 5) and Apple used them to get what was good for Apple.

It's like when a spouse cheats and all the anger gets directed at the person they cheated with. It was obviously the fault of that smooth talking Steve Jobs guy.

I'm not saying Apple is blameless, I just don't think the primary fault should be laid at their feet.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote