Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 7.0.6 released for iPad/iPhone

iOS 7.0.6 released for iPad/iPhone was released today.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Got that message yesterday and installed it this morning. Usually I quarantine updates for at least a few days, but since this one said security update, I didn't wait. And now one of my apps (priorities) is unable to sync...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Got that message yesterday and installed it this morning. Usually I quarantine updates for at least a few days, but since this one said security update, I didn't wait. And now one of my apps (priorities) is unable to sync...
The update was mostly to address an SSL connection issue. I wonder if your app that now doesn't sync is prevented from doing so because of bad code that would make the app vulnerable. That is, perhaps this update is intentionally blocking bad code from syncing to prevent vulnerability. I'm just guessing.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The update was mostly to address an SSL connection issue. I wonder if your app that now doesn't sync is prevented from doing so because of bad code that would make the app vulnerable. That is, perhaps this update is intentionally blocking bad code from syncing to prevent vulnerability. I'm just guessing.
Yes, that's also the thought that occurred to me. And now I'll see if the app is still maintained. It has been working flawlessly for a long time so there was no need for updates really, but I always get a little nervous when there's nothing for a long time.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Can you contact the app developers to tell them what's going on? Maybe they'll update their app. I wonder if other apps might end up having this issue as well.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I looked up Priorities and saw that the owner is now employed elsewhere. I don't think it'll get an update.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I tried again just now and it synced! I don't remember how it does it, through iCloud or Dropbox, but it seems to be working now. I guess sooner or later it will stop working if the developer is now doing something else, but I like it so I'll keep using it for now.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yay! I'm glad. I think you'll be okay until iCloud or Dropbox get any API changes then.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I tried again just now and it synced! I don't remember how it does it, through iCloud or Dropbox, but it seems to be working now. I guess sooner or later it will stop working if the developer is now doing something else, but I like it so I'll keep using it for now.
I'm glad it started working again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Can you contact the app developers to tell them what's going on? Maybe they'll update their app. I wonder if other apps might end up having this issue as well.
I haven't had any issues yet with any of my apps.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI.

I had a freeze up in Safari on my T-Mobile iPhone 5. The phone was fully charged at the time. Mostly just a white screen, which is what Safari looks like when it first opens and hasn't yet loaded a page. It froze and no controls would work, so I briefly pressed the Power button to turn it off. Afterwards, it would not turn on. I tried resetting by pressing and holding the Power button for 30 seconds but no response on the screen. Normally you will get the red question box asking if you want to turn it off, and if so, then you see the Apple logo as it turns off. When I pressed the Home button I could hear a tone, same for when I plugged it into the charger. I used the USB cable to connect to iTunes and iTunes was able to read and write to it. I tried to press and hold both Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds, but still nothing. I finally removed the SIM card and pressed and held both Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds again, and that time it worked.

All is fine now. I guess it was just a hiccup! However, I have never had any issues with this iPhone 5 before, and it is now about 10 months old. It is runnining 7.0.6. Perhaps there is a connection to 7.0.6 which I recently installed, but probably not.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I installed 7.0.6 on my iPad Retina Mini a few days ago. No problems here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Ya this update is in regards to bad code found in open source ssl implementation used by Apple. It had an extra line of code that allowed for a man in the middle attack. Google goto fail and you can find ranting by security experts and paranoid conspiracy theorists. It's rather elegant if it's been done deliberately. Flaw was introduced in September 2012 during a standard update in an obscure ssl authentication module found in open source code. If done with malicious intent it was pure genius as it allowed plausible deniability and it completely disabled SSL security with less than 10 characters. It was a second line of code that returned error message silently failing module and allowing improper SSL certificates to pass as valid. Only worked with apple browsers and software that authenticated using affected library. Anyone using chrome or Firefox were unaffected.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote