Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #106
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
(missed 'em the first time through :/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
No worries. I can say the main reason for the nav being in the middle is because of google now. Swiping up from the home icon opens it.

There is a LOT of time and effort involved in such a change. I wish i could get into specifics.
Changing *one* variable's value from "false" to "true", as shown earlier in the thread, and recompiling (even easier if it's just interpreted rather than compiled) shouldn't take that much work. As for Google Now's summoning, either it'd move automatically with the repositioned Home button (if it's actually tied to it) or else you'd keep swiping up from the middle. No big deal, in either case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I'm sorry you're disappointed. We have no plans to go back to the ICS layout. Had we kept that layout we would have received just as many complaints from people wanting the jelly bean layout.
Very unlikely. I can't see many people complaining about their tablet continuing to use the tablet layout rather than the phone layout. At worst, you might have gotten a few inquiries about people who weren't sure that the update actually happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Those with issues can try clearing their cache. Not sure if that will make a difference or not but it doesn't hurt anything.

Simply hold volume up and power until the power light starts blinking blue. Use the volume up/down and navigate to 'wipe cache partition' and press the power button.
Actually, that does seem to have made a bit of a difference, at least with the lag and some crashy apps (like Twitter). Boot time's back down to normal (~30s instead of over a minute). Doesn't help with Tapestries, of course.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #107
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
I've been trying to do this, but no matter how quickly or even simultaneously I push the buttons the only thing that happens is for the volume to change. Nothing happens with the power light at all...... ?

Quote:
Those with issues can try clearing their cache. Not sure if that will make a difference or not but it doesn't hurt anything.

Simply hold volume up and power until the power light starts blinking blue. Use the volume up/down and navigate to 'wipe cache partition' and press the power button.
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #108
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
I've been trying to do this, but no matter how quickly or even simultaneously I push the buttons the only thing that happens is for the volume to change. Nothing happens with the power light at all...... ?
Try it from a powered down state - hold volume up, hold power 'til blinking blue, release both.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #109
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Try it from a powered down state - hold volume up, hold power 'til blinking blue, release both.
That worked, thanks! And so far it seems to have helped with the performance... will have to wait to see about the spontaneous reboots. :-)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #110
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Just some feedback after using the tablet for a while with the update. The biggest thing I notice is wifi drops for no reason now . It will show me as connected but I'll get dropped from YouTube etc. This never happened before the update even once and does not happen on any other device we have. No other device we have has the new OS except the Arc. Outside of this I'm not having any problems. It does make me miss the old OS though. Hopefully this will get qokwd out.

Last edited by kimicocopop; 04-02-2013 at 10:04 PM.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #111
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
^
Before the update, I noticed the wifi would drop, though the icon indicated a connection. I think it had to do with putting the Arc in sleep mood. It didn't always happen, but a quick restart or turning the wifi off and then on again would always take care of it.

Anyhow, it still does this after the Jellybean update so I don't consider it an upgrade problem.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #112
cyndersk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
That worked, thanks! And so far it seems to have helped with the performance... will have to wait to see about the spontaneous reboots. :-)
After a couple of days, I have not had any reboots, but I still have various apps crashing on me on a very frequent basis. I know it is something to do with the ARC as I have the same apps on my phone which is running the same version of android and I do not have this problem there.

I wish they would get their act together and fix the dam thing.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #113
Forgetful
Forgetful began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Arc and Mini. Nexus 10
At least BBC iPlayer works now!
Forgetful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #114
ChrisTM
ChrisTM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Interesting. At least some have the update. I'm still on 4.0.4 since the update came out, and I've had the Arc for two weeks now - still no update. What could be up with that? Kobo says they'll "let me know", whatever that means.
ChrisTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #115
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTM View Post
Interesting. At least some have the update. I'm still on 4.0.4 since the update came out, and I've had the Arc for two weeks now - still no update. What could be up with that? Kobo says they'll "let me know", whatever that means.
The update has been pulled to sort problems.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #116
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I can post the image for the update but the google video issue will remain
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #117
KillerDid
KillerDid began at the beginning.

Rollback

Hello Kobo-Robin
Having the image would be nice, as I do not use google videos.
Just two questions
- is it possible to switch from phablet UI to tablet UI in the jelly bean update?
- is it possible to rollback to ICS if Jelly bean is not satisfying?
KillerDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #118
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDid View Post
Hello Kobo-Robin
Having the image would be nice, as I do not use google videos.
Just two questions
- is it possible to switch from phablet UI to tablet UI in the jelly bean update?
It would be extremely easy for them to do, and only slightly more difficult to add as a settings toggle, but they refuse to change the single value in the single file that would allow for this. (as I point out here, it only takes a single change in /system/build.prop on the Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean, when rooted. Can't think of a single reason, since Kobo has no app store to lock us into and are beholden to no telecom carriers, for it to not be possible here - assuming the Arc is indeed, as people keep saying, stock Jelly Bean underneath Tapestries)

Quote:
- is it possible to rollback to ICS if Jelly bean is not satisfying?
Yes. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210413 Major pain in the ass to do so, however.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #119
KillerDid
KillerDid began at the beginning.

update

I looked at the update to rollback to ICS.
I guess we could build a custom update.zip to change only what we want.
If we modify the build.prop in the update.zip it should do the trick.
Maybe we could even add superuser.apk in /system, or remove the bloatware we don't want.
But I'm not very familiar with cooking roms...
KillerDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #120
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Hello,

I am still wondering how slate did that...

Quote:
I'm not going into details but after ~20 minutes here's a tablet ui on jellybean without mucking with dpi. Nice to see a tutorial for reverting back to ics...

Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote