Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #76
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you thought of looking for other Android apps in the Play store that might support not only WMA format but provide more functions too?

Also do remember that WMA is in effect a container for data, and that in turn it contains an audio track. From WikiPedia:
Quote:
Each WMA file features a single audio track in one of following codecs: WMA, WMA Pro, WMA Lossless, or WMA Voice. These codecs are technically distinct and mutually incompatible.
. In turn, these audio tracks can have DRM inplace; there is no gurantee at all that just because a file has a WMA extension that it is playable by other than Microsoft supported devices.

Last edited by PeterT; 03-26-2013 at 12:50 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #77
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
BTW until this upgrade I was the Arc's biggest cheerleader. Now not so much. I think you've really shot yourself in the foot with the smaller screen. It's the first thing the customer sees and it really looks mingy now with all that space taken away both at the top and the bottom.

I don't see the point of finding out from Google about the best new restaurants near me when I don't even have continuous WiFi. By the time I get access to WiFi I am in a bloody restaurant. This is a useless improvement. The device is not a phone with G3 access, it's an e-reader tablet. You need to remember first and foremost who your customer base is, and I think that was overlooked.

The biggest deal in all of this is the smaller viewing area. The second biggest is the horrid placement of stuff you need to access in the top bar. It was so easy before. The third is not being able to listen to most music files.

I'm not recommending the Arc to anyone until I have reason to like it again as much as I did before.
Glad to see I'm not alone to complain !

Please give us back the old lay-out !!!
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #78
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
BTW until this upgrade I was the Arc's biggest cheerleader. Now not so much. I think you've really shot yourself in the foot with the smaller screen. It's the first thing the customer sees and it really looks mingy now with all that space taken away both at the top and the bottom.

I don't see the point of finding out from Google about the best new restaurants near me when I don't even have continuous WiFi. By the time I get access to WiFi I am in a bloody restaurant. This is a useless improvement. The device is not a phone with G3 access, it's an e-reader tablet. You need to remember first and foremost who your customer base is, and I think that was overlooked.

The biggest deal in all of this is the smaller viewing area. The second biggest is the horrid placement of stuff you need to access in the top bar. It was so easy before. The third is not being able to listen to most music files.

I'm not recommending the Arc to anyone until I have reason to like it again as much as I did before.
I'm sorry you're disappointed. We have no plans to go back to the ICS layout. Had we kept that layout we would have received just as many complaints from people wanting the jelly bean layout.

As far as WMA files go, we never supported them. You may have had a separate app that added the functionality. I know a lot of people use Poweramp for that format.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aW9wbGF5ZXIiXQ..
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #79
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I'm sorry you're disappointed. We have no plans to go back to the ICS layout. Had we kept that layout we would have received just as many complaints from people wanting the jelly bean layout.

As far as WMA files go, we never supported them. You may have had a separate app that added the functionality. I know a lot of people use Poweramp for that format.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aW9wbGF5ZXIiXQ..
I clicked on this and what I got was "not compatible with your device". I didn't have any extra sound apps before. The Arc I bought played WMA files out of the box. Ergo, they were supported. I really do think you will lose customers over the new look, so don't dig your heels in over it. I would talk it over with the team and maybe do some market research on it. I am not sure how much people really care about Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean; I certainly never heard of either until this upgrade lessened my Kobo's very acceptable functionality.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #80
JKS

And now it won't read PDF files even though I have the Adobe app. What next? I am ready to throw this thing through a window.

Last edited by JKS; 03-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #81
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
And now it won't read PDF files even though I have the Adobe app. What next? I am ready to throw this thing through a window.
Strange. I just opened 5 different pdf's on 2 different devices using Adobe Reader and Officesuite.

All worked fine.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #82
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
Well after a day or two I can now see that the Koboarc with the update is not working well. I can no longer access my emails via the Email or Gmail apps; my wallpaper is no longer updating. I still have Internet access as I can access my emails via Google Chrome and Opera Mobile.

My RSS feeds are not updating and some of my apps that require a user log-in are not working.

A mixed, disappointing bag...
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #83
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
We have no plans to go back to the ICS layout. Had we kept that layout we would have received just as many complaints from people wanting the jelly bean layout.
Can we not imagine something like an option, to choose in the settings ? Of course, this would be specific to the Arc and "out" of Android !...
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #84
kamaal
kamaal began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hi JKS

Are you using a file browser to try and open the files? If so then try to first launch the PDF reading app then navigate to the folder where your files are.
(In Adobe Reader: there should be a link/icon somewhere on the top left corner for this. I also suggest trying EBookDroid as it has useful features.)

If this works then try the same method with your WMA files.

I have a similar problem with opening images: it does not give the correct list of apps that can open my JPG images! For now we have to wait for these issues to be understood well, and hopefully be fixed in an update soon (or by allowing us to download and install the previous version).

Please let me know if this fixes your problems.

Best regards,
Kamaal
kamaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #85
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Very strange. I hadn't tested any of my PDF files since I updated and I had a few journal articles I needed to read for work so I tested it today. I opened 4 PDFs from various scientific journals and they all opened and displayed fine using the Adobe reader app. I can't speak to the wma files but if you were listening to them through the play music app (from Google) then the issue would be with Google not Kobo unless I'm missing something. I hope you get these problems worked out soon.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #86
JKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaal View Post
Hi JKS

Are you using a file browser to try and open the files? If so then try to first launch the PDF reading app then navigate to the folder where your files are.
(In Adobe Reader: there should be a link/icon somewhere on the top left corner for this. I also suggest trying EBookDroid as it has useful features.)

If this works then try the same method with your WMA files.

I have a similar problem with opening images: it does not give the correct list of apps that can open my JPG images! For now we have to wait for these issues to be understood well, and hopefully be fixed in an update soon (or by allowing us to download and install the previous version).

Please let me know if this fixes your problems.

Best regards,
Kamaal
PDF files will open if I click on them in Dropbox or the browser. They won't open from Download. Also, WMA files worked perfectly fine before the upgrade. It is just since the upgrade that I can't play music files.

Thank you for trying to help.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #87
JKS

BTW it seems that individual Kobos came up with different bugs in response to the upgrade.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #88
ns_angela
ns_angela began at the beginning.

very upset that now I have just a bigger version of my phone . dislike the top /bottom bar layout . I am a very basic user for a bit of internet, a few games and for reading and now having so many crashes and changes to what I originally liked about the Arc. Apps just stop working for no reason and my internet is constantly cutting off even tho it says I am connected. This was so nice before.... why did you have to change things !!!!!!!!!
ns_angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #89
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Jelly Bean

Good day

Time to enter the fray, so to speak.

I have upgraded to JB and I can honestly say compared to some PC/Mac upgrades I have undertaken over the years that this OS upgrade has been pretty pain free for me.

My Arc seems faster and the minor movement of the battery indicator etc to the top right of screen is not something that concerns me, we will probably find in some future OS upgrade they are moved somewhere else.

I understand why Kobo wanted to keep the OS experience as near standard as possible, as is often remarked "you cannot please all of the people all of the time".
Had they changed the OS experience in a significant way I'm sure there would be complaints about that!!!!!!!!!

The changes to the Kobo software make sense and are an improvement on the previous book management set up.

Overall I am very happy with my ARC, but not happy with the UK main re-seller
WH Smiths who still have not grasped the mettle with various add ons and also the complete lack of information on the 64Gb Arc, the model I really wanted.

Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #90
ns_angela
ns_angela began at the beginning.

well as of a few minutes after posting here last night my actual kobo app stopped working. it says the kobo server has no internet connection and to try back later. I don't need internet to read ! shut it all down for the night but getting the same message this morning. Frustrating.
ns_angela is offline   Reply With Quote