Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
dzw!
dzw! began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Question dancing Ruby on Iliad

WTF?
text below is about Ruby programming language and my attempt to compile it into Iliad

Hi girls, guys, aliens and whoever is reading it now.

I am a happy iliad user(2.12 soft), I am trying to install ruby lang on Iliad without killing him.. (yeah.. Iliad is my buddy )

As I am not linux expert( more a newbie) I got some questions/issues

I got: - developers access, and I run terminal on Iliad
I did: - downloaded ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8...8.7-p71.tar.gz) - source code
I followed steps (rather step) from readme, -> typed ./configure

ISSUE:

The thing is it looks I do not have gcc or cc.. in config.log I got "error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

I need:
to solve it...

If any of you good folkz have advice or info that could help me.. will be great, many thx
dzw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
You'll probably be best off installing VMWare and download the iLiad developer VMWare image in the sticky in this forum. Once you're in scratchbox, then try to compile.

If you don't have any luck, I can give it a go on Monday.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
dzw!

Question One step forward...

Adam thx for reply, I did what you said, I forced my poor isdn modem to download:
first: VMware Fusion ( I got mac)
than: Iliad VMware image jumped into my hd

I ran it through Fusion, and I tried to follow your tutorial for stardict,( instead of it I downloaded ruby from ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8...8.7-p71.tar.gz ), as I had some issues with wget in scratchbox (dns name) I used
http://baremetal.com/cgi-bin/dnsip?target=ftp.ruby-lang.org to get its IP number.

After getting it and unpacking I ran ./configure --prefix=/mnt/cf/ruby (I am using cf card), make and make install.

ok and than I stuck..

- should I use "ibrary helper program"?.

" Type 'exit' to exit scratchbox. We will need to start the vnc server. Once it is started, open your vnc viewer of choice and connect to IP-ADDRESS:5901"

- should I ran telnet/ssh (is that what you mean by vnc viewer) on the host(my mac) ?

the rest of story is just for me so I stop here.. sorry for lame questions.. all i want is to get ruby on iliad.. and have some fun with it.. maybe run rails on it and use it as local content manager..

one more time thnx for answer.

dzojntywole!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
dzw!

Question and the next step is..

just from last minute.. as I haven't play with VM before.. so after 3 min research I found how much I was stupid trying just to telnet to vncserver..

I downloaded Chicken Vnc client for mac I got something but still didn't manage to connect to vlcserver( I mean I am connected but see nothing but x-server cursor.. i'll try tomorrow coz today my family wants to kill me for spending so much time on it)

The other thing: I compiled ruby on scratchbox and ran it from /mnt/cf/ruby/bin/ruby and it works.

so while I don't have vnclient working yet, maybe if I manage to copy compiled version on my Iliad it would work? ( the question is how to do it,)

yeah.. newbie life, struggle continues
Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
dzw!

OK, I did it in a butcher style but I did it I got my friends together Ruby dancing with Iliad..

what I did: downloaded Iliad Image and VMware Fusion(Mac), compiled using scratchbox, (I found option to share dir between my mac and VM, i just copied ruby folder on mac and than on cf.

thats all.. it works..

goodnight guys.. time 2 sleep for me
Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzw! View Post
OK, I did it in a butcher style but I did it I got my friends together Ruby dancing with Iliad.. [...] thats all.. it works..
Great! I'm a ruby fan... you make me want to try it... not much spare time at the moment...

Do you have any idea about memory consumption? (the iliad stops when running out of memory...)

Hansel
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
dzw!

Thumbs up Ruby performance

I haven't done any tests to see ruby's performance, yet. I ran few simple scripts and that's all for now( waiting for the weekend)

there is a thing called http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/

it is advertised as optimized ruby.. maybe somebody will give it a try.. if not I will

the other thing I am curious to check is FXruby on iliad..

thats all folks and have a good week all of you
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

it really works...

I got ruby compiled and running

Adam.B: Thanks for the vmware image + info
dwz!: Thanks for trying to run ruby on the iliad!

I did some tests to check memory usage:
- a small ruby process uses about 4 MB (VmSize)
- while the script is running /proc/meminfo shows 14 MB free (thats with dropbear and my shell running)

Great to have ruby on the Iliad: it is a *great* language: clean and simple syntax, powerful OO structure, lots of libraries (xml, network, text processing...). A lot nicer than perl...

Hans.

PS: http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
Old 08-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
hansel
JSR FFD2

Some more experiments...

-I installed (ruby-1.8.7-p72) my cf card
-I run a webserver on my Iliad

It is a small ruby script + some pages (with embedded ruby) to show system info in a remote browser. The scripts and pages are on a usb stick. In that way it's easy to develop and test on my desktop and then run them on the Iliad...

Its a bit experimental yet, but promising...

Good night,

Hansel.

PS: I tried ruby-1.9 (should be faster) but make install fails with mysterious error codes...

Tags
ruby iliad