Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Smile Any cheap eReader please for Canada?

Hi folks !
I have past at least one week searching and comparing eReaders online, after making my final choice to buy Kindle 3, I was surprised all the ebooks that I m interested in are not available in Kindle store for Canadian customers !
For "Caffeine Blues" is not available !
Not only those books are not available but I have been informed by Amazon support team that Kindle cannot read eBooks from other store.
I'm really disappointed because Kindle is great gadget , i was willing to improve my English by using its built in dictionary.
Now I m looking for something like Kindle 3 but can accept eBooks from other sellers, I have found that Kobo is quiet close to it, but Kobo has some downsides, it doesn't use its built dictionary for non-kobo eBooks and its eBooks are more expensive comparing to kindle store's.
I m looking for a cheap eReader that has a built in dictionary, can read eBooks from others booksellers and has quiet decent battery life.

thank you a lot guys
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Look to see what shipping/duty fees do to the Pockebook 360. It is currently on sale for US$129. It is a very user-friendly and highly customizable reader that support Adobe ADEPT just like the Kobo. It also has 6" sibling products; the 301 and 602 depending on the features you prefer. All have very good in-book dictionary support.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Look to see what shipping/duty fees do to the Pockebook 360. It is currently on sale for US$129. It is a very user-friendly and highly customizable reader that support Adobe ADEPT just like the Kobo. It also has 6" sibling products; the 301 and 602 depending on the features you prefer. All have very good in-book dictionary support.
Thanks
does its dictionary work for any eBooks any text or home made PDF files ?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
erictoma
Banned

I waiting for some other advices
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
The least expensive ereader, out of the big brands, I guess would be the Kobo reader. Sony is more expensive. eReaders with LCD screens can be found as good deals right now at Best Buy & Future shop, such as the Aluratek Libre, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. If price is your primary constraint, I'd probably suggest getting the Kobo on one of it's sales, which would drop the price a bit, Chapters puts them on sale occasionally.

The Sony is more expensive, and I understand that it's dictionary support is pretty good. I can't speak for the dictionary on the kobo, and the only sony I tried is the older model, the PRS-600, as I don't have the new one yet. With the Sony, you can put books on from wherever you please, including the library.

Sorry wish I could be more help.

Last edited by Gadget_girl; 11-29-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
erictoma
Banned

thank you gadget girl, i have just talked to kobo customer service, i will buy kobo this week.
it comes with 100 free eBooks, but i don't read any fiction or novel. I read only philosophical, scientific or technical stuff
Old 11-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Sony prs-350 or the 650 sound like they fit your needs. They have 12 built in dictionaries which work with PDFs (as far as I've been able to find out). What city are you in? Toronto, Mississauga and Vancouver all have libraries with ebooks that you can read for free on the Sony (and Kobo) devices.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Eric, before you decide, go to newegg.ca and see what they have to say about the jetBook Lite and the Aluratek Libre. They are inexpensive, and they read many formats.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Sony prs-350 or the 650 sound like they fit your needs. They have 12 built in dictionaries which work with PDFs (as far as I've been able to find out). What city are you in? Toronto, Mississauga and Vancouver all have libraries with ebooks that you can read for free on the Sony (and Kobo) devices.
I live in Montreal that's why my English is not that good
So i need an English built in dictionary
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Eric, before you decide, go to newegg.ca and see what they have to say about the jetBook Lite and the Aluratek Libre. They are inexpensive, and they read many formats.
Thank you buddy
But I newbie so LCD screens scare me a lot, not able to pass all my days plugging and unplugging to charge the batteries.
How many time do you charge your lcd gadget per week ? how long do their batteries last?
thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Thanks
does its dictionary work for any eBooks any text or home made PDF files ?
Dictionaries, plural. You can switch on the fly.
Mostly free.
They provide a converter so you can make your own.

The feature works for any text-based document including *some* pdfs, but not image-based pdfs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
Thank you buddy
But I newbie so LCD screens scare me a lot, not able to pass all my days plugging and unplugging to charge the batteries.
How many time do you charge your lcd gadget per week ? how long do their batteries last?
thanks
Eric, the jetBook and the jetBook Lite are put out by Ectaco, an electronic dictionary company. They both come with an English dictionary which is very good for helping people who wish to learn the English language.

The JBL uses four AA batteries. All of us here with one have bought eight rechargeable batteries and a charger, so you can swap out the first set with the second set when the first set runs down. I swap out my batteries once every two weeks, after about 25 hours of reading.

The JB has an internal battery, and I believe it lasts about 22 hours of reading. You then need to charge it, which takes four hours. People with devices with internal batteries charge them overnight before they get too low.

Do not confuse the reflective TFT screen of the JBL and the JB with the backlit LCD screens of the Nook Color and the iPad. The reflective TFT screens use very little power in comparison.

Hope that helps!

And congrats to the Als!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I usually plug my Aluratek in once a week. Sometimes, though, I'll just plug it in while I'm using the computer, to top off the battery.

I've found its battery capacity to be good, sufficient for my needs. My Sony's battery life is longer, just due to the nature of e-ink vs. reflective LCD, but really, I'm not going to be in a jungle or a desert somewhere for any extended time where I would not have access to an electrical outlet. I think that those people who let the battery time be the deciding factor in their purchase are rather foolish; both types of screens allow you to read at least a full book without charging. Going multiple weeks without charging the device is nice, but really, I have to recharge my cell phone every few days - what's one more device?

Last edited by Xanthe; 11-29-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Sony 350 and 650 have two English dictionaries, and also an English-French and French-English (among others). You can also type in the words if you want to use the dictionary for a word that is not in the text.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote