Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Calibre Book Viewer

It is probably something I have done! Had massive problems on a couple of PCs last week upgrading to Windows 10. Have in the meantime returned my main PC to Windows 8.1.
However the minor problem I have is that I cannot get Calibre to read a pdf book with Adobe Reader. I can change to have the viewer read a pdf in the Calibre Reader but I prefer Adobe for pdf files.

Any suggestions as to what I have done?

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mitch13 - In calibre uncheck Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for->PDF and ensure PDF has Acrobat as its Default in Windows.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie

Thanks BetterRed,

I have unmarked PDF for use in the internal viewer and have Windows default as Acrobat Reader DC.
Will not open Acrobat Reader DC when I attempt to Read a pdf while in Calibre. I must admit this is a very recent problem. I installed Windows 10 but had problems and had to revert back to Windows 8.1 - has been since then I think.

mitch13
Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Does opening with the system file handler work for any other filetypes in calbre?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mitch13 - so what does it do mate - chapter and verse

If you press 'O' to open book folder, and then double-click on the PDF what happens. I'm not Windows 8.1 au fait, but if it does not open it up in Acrobat then its the very likely Default Programs settings in Windows that are the problem. Fix that then its likely that opening PDF's in Acrobat from calibre should also be fixed.

BR
Advert
Old 09-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
mitch13
Groupie

If I open a pdf out of Calibre Adobe Acrobat Reader DC opens the file OK and Windows has it set as the default.
However if I try to open it in Calibre without pdf being set for internal viewer absolutely nothing happens. If I set internal viewer to show pdf then it does but in the case of a magazine I am viewing it has a blank page every 2nd page but it is readable.

mitch13
Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
If I open a pdf out of Calibre Adobe Acrobat Reader DC opens the file OK and Windows has it set as the default.

However if I try to open it in Calibre without pdf being set for internal viewer absolutely nothing happens. If I set internal viewer to show pdf then it does but in the case of a magazine I am viewing it has a blank page every 2nd page but it is readable.
@mitch13 - I am confused, are you saying if this setting is checked then from calibre the PDF opens in Acrobat :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	141896

And if its unchecked it opens in the calibre viewer - that's arse about face.

What happens if you open the book folder - press 'O' - and double click the PDF, does the PDF open in Acrobat?

And what do you see here - if its not Acrobat change it to Acrobat

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	141897

The blank page sounds like an Acrobat issue. IMO Acrobat is crap, I prefer Tracker Software's PDF XChange

BR
Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BR -- I think the OP confirmed that the setting is working as expected.

As for the blank page, when opened in calibre with internal viewer set, ebook-viewer will of course convert it on-the-fly to EPUB, and fall on its face in various ways due to how bad PDF is.
Much more likely than it being Adobe Reader.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

@mitch13,

Do any other ebook types fail to open in the OS default when Use internal viewer is unchecked?

How does Open With behave? (the right-click option on the format label in Book Details)
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
BR -- I think the OP confirmed that the setting is working as expected.
It was the unusual use of 'out of calibre', I interpreted that as 'come from/within' (as in Spearmint by Carbine out of Maid in the Mint ).

Sorry mitch13

BR
Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 AM   #11
mitch13
Groupie

Many thanks for suggestions.
Seems I did have an intermittent problem with Adobe Reader version that I had.

Have moved on to Adobe Acrobat and is working fine in and out of Calibe. Now have the external reader set not to read pdf and when I try from Calibre Acrobat takes over