Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Daft Willie
Daft Willie began at the beginning.

Sony Reader at Borders and CompUSA: DENIED!

Assuming that ebook reader fans enjoy stories, here's mine:

My huge collection of papers and the upcoming flood of new ones from HPCA finally decided me: I really needed a good mobile PDF reader. The Palm TX is too small.

So, I went into Borders. I asked a few questions, but the last one was the dealbreaker:
"I use this for lots of technical papers on PDF. If it turns out that they display poorly, can I return the reader?"
The manager's answer: "No, we can't take returns on these."

Hmf. I can understand not taking returns on books, CDs, and kittens, but a $350 one-trick pony with an extremely new ink technology needs a bit more of a safety net. So I went to CompUSA and again played with the display unit for a bit. I asked the dude about the returns policy and he said sure, 21 days, just like anything else.

Happy, I said "Ok, I'll take one." There was a pause as he rifled under the counter, then in the computer. "Whoops, I lied. We've got three on order but none in stock." Denied AGAIN.

There is a persistent rumor perpetrated by the Internet that the CompUSA in South Austin has a horde of them. Is it worth the drive AND the breaking of my Sony boycott? Truly I must think.
Daft Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Daft Willie

I am weak: now I have one!

Ok, so I answered my own question and hit the other CompUSA. Now I have one, and I'm busily forming opinions.

RTF: Pretty nice. I have a lot of friends who are writers, so I get a lot of these.

PDF: My main purpose for getting the reader. Technical docs and papers. Almost completely useless. The font rendering is nasty.

*sigh*
Advert
Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There are a number of tools posted/discussed around MR that help with that -- you might want to give them a try and see if they help for your purposes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Yup. Thats why I bought mine at a sonystyle store (originally). They let you return it, all right, but hit you with a 15% restocking fee.
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Daft Willie

It's like night and day

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
There are a number of tools posted/discussed around MR that help with that -- you might want to give them a try and see if they help for your purposes.
Oh my. It's like night and day.

I apologize: I was really skeptical, NatCh. But PDFRastafarian is absolutely amazing. Last night this paper was unreadable, even flipped to landscape and zoomed. Now it's at one page, portrait, and I have absolutely no trouble. Even the figures are more readable.

To the author of PDFRasta: You've turned a paperweight into something awesome. Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, alex_d pretty much rocks, doesn't he?

I haven't actually used the app, since I mostly want to read RTFs but I'm glad that it works for you.

Don't forget to give alex_d some karma for his rockingness, if you haven't already (and as you feel to be appropriate, of course )
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Willie
So, I went into Borders. I asked a few questions, but the last one was the dealbreaker:
"I use this for lots of technical papers on PDF. If it turns out that they display poorly, can I return the reader?"
The manager's answer: "No, we can't take returns on these."

Hmf. I can understand not taking returns on books,.
So interesting that Borders would not take it back if you were not pleased with it. I bought mine at a Sony store and was told right off the bat I had so many days to use/have it and if I was not pleased that I could return it!

Shaking my finger at Borders!!!
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
But of course, they DO take returns on books. No questions asked, so long as the book appears to be in "new" condition. Not CDs, though, unless they are unopened.

In thinking about it, if I bought a Reader at Borders and opened the box to find someone had used it before me, I don't think I'd be too happy. That means the unit would need to be returned to Sony, checked for flaws, and reboxed (and possibly sold as "refurbished"). I still think there ought to be a way to return it for most of your money, though, if not through Borders, then directly to Sony.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
In thinking about it, if I bought a Reader at Borders and opened the box to find someone had used it before me, I don't think I'd be too happy.
I had that exact situation and we were able to exchange the Reader for another that was opened in front of the manager and confirmed it was new. I don't know about returns, but you can definitely exchange a Reader at Borders.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Maybe just not with that sales person.