Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
lejuan
lejuan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Non-English characters in title / author

Hi all!

I am using Calibre 0.6.34 on Windows 7 Ultimate (Spanish edition). When I send an ebook to my SONY PRS-505, if the metadata contain non-English characters, after the reader is unplugged, it shows wrong (strange) characters in the place of them.
For instance, "El extraño" is converted in "El extra?o".

If I plug the reader again, I can edit the reader data and replace the wrong characters by means of Calibre (but it is annoying).

This does not happen if I load the same ebook by means of the Sony Reader Library (v. 3.1.00.12040).

I have tried to set English and Spanish as Calibre language, with the same result.

Some suggestion? (Thanks in advance)
lejuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is with pdf files?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Funnily enough I noticed the same with the pdf files that I transferred to my Sony PRS today after updating Calibre to the latest version. I had not noticed this behaviour before.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
lejuan

The problem comes (at least) with RTF files.

I have tried:
- Write the Title & Author data directly into the "Properties" of the file (before addind the ebook to Calibre)
- Write the Title & Author data as Calibre metadata (after addind the ebook to Calibre)

The result is the same in all the cases. The behaviour is as follows:
After sending the ebook to the reader, if you browse the device, you will find the correct Title & Author (!)
When you disconnect the reader and unplug it from the PC, the same data appear wrong in the device screen.
If you connect again the reader to Calibre and browse its metadata, you find the wrong characters.
Now, if you manually edit the device metadata (by double-clicking on the data fields) and put the correct characters, the reader keeps them when you unplug it from the PC.

Nothing of the above happens when using the Sony software.

(NOTE: I have also tried to select other Sony plugins at the Calibre Welcome Wizard, with no success).

Last edited by lejuan; 01-18-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is with pdf files?
I tryied copying pdf with calibre from library to my cybook and it is produced this even without unpluging device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	encoding.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	43669  
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
These are both known issues. I'm afraid you're just going to have to live with them or convert your files to other formats like EPUB or LRF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
That is exactly what I did, convert the pdf files to lrf.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
lejuan

After many trials to force the failure, I can confirm the problem in my case is only related to RTF files.

You get wrong characters both if the non-English ones are present at the file Properties or if you manually write them as Calibre metadata.

It is the same if you edit and rewrite the Title and/or Author directly on the device metadata fields before unplugging it (in fact, the reader ignores any manual change at this time).

When you connect the reader again, the wrong characters are present. But now, you can edit them and changes remain after unplugging the device.

Last edited by lejuan; 01-18-2010 at 04:03 PM.