Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Maximum file size increase?

To the moderators (or possibly Alex),

I've almost finished a complete version of Don Quixote, fully illustrated with Doré's engravings and, of course, I'd like to upload it here. The problem is the book files are around 30 MB, while the maximum file size for uploading is 20 MB, and I don't want to degrade the images' quality.

So the request is quite simple, could the maximum file size be increased to some 35-40 MB (for the moment) at least for MOBI and EPUB?

Thanks!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'll definitely point alex in this direction jellby, but in the meantime, any chance you could try compressing your files in a rar archive (or even a multi-part rar) ? (i know, epub inside zip, it's crazy ! )

thank you ! i can't wait to see your version ; i've been meaning to make a version of don quixote for months but you were faster.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'll definitely point alex in this direction jellby, but in the meantime, any chance you could try compressing your files in a rar archive (or even a multi-part rar) ? (i know, epub inside zip, it's crazy ! )
Yes, I can split the file... and I'll upload it to my website anyway. Don't worry, it will be available

Quote:
thank you ! i can't wait to see your version ; i've been meaning to make a version of don quixote for months but you were faster.
Note mine is in Spanish, though
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, I can split the file... and I'll upload it to my website anyway. Don't worry, it will be available
great ! that is a good immediate solution, anyway, until alex can increase the upload size.

Quote:
Note mine is in Spanish, though
heh, so i guess i still have to make my own version after all then.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Hmm, 35-40 MB for upload via HTTP form is relatively big since our web server is not optimized for HTTP uploads (timeouts could occur, and you cannot resume uploads via HTTP). I might look into it. Splitting as an alternative sounds like a good temporary solution though.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hmm, 35-40 MB for upload via HTTP form is relatively big since our web server is not optimized for HTTP uploads (timeouts could occur, and you cannot resume uploads via HTTP). I might look into it. Splitting as an alternative sounds like a good temporary solution though.
Could something be done to join split files once they are uploaded to the server?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Doesn't work. All eBook formats are already compressed. Trying to compress one compressed format inside another does nothing. Try it and see .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that splitting the book into two volumes really is the best solution, Jellby. I had to do that with my illustrated version of "Lorna Doone", which had similar issues.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that splitting the book into two volumes really is the best solution, Jellby. I had to do that with my illustrated version of "Lorna Doone", which had similar issues.
I was thinking of splitting the file so that the user has to join the parts to read it, i.e., each part would not be a working ebook... despite Don Quixote being actually two books, published 10 years apart, so uploading as two independent volumes would make sense (but most modern editions include them both together).

I grant, however, that it is much more user-friendly to upload the parts as working independent ebooks, so I'll see...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
heh, so i guess i still have to make my own version after all then.
If you happen to do that in English I would be most interested
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hmm, 35-40 MB for upload via HTTP form is relatively big since our web server is not optimized for HTTP uploads (timeouts could occur, and you cannot resume uploads via HTTP).
That's something I had not considered, and it would certainly be a problem, I've already had strange timeouts when trying to upload large files.

But... does it work differently when using the "Upload File from a URL" box? I've noticed using this for uploading from my server, which has a pretty fast connection (while I'm writing from my laptop at home, with a mediocre connection), worked fine and quick for 16MB files.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I too, in the past, have been thwarted by the max. file size for the various attachments. My Webster's Dictionary 1913 comes to mind.

I do think they should be reviewed and changed to reflect a better upper maximum. I was thinking of uploading my 2006 Wikipedia ebook in various ebook formats but they were in the range of 30-50MB (with images) so, I think, you can never say enough is enough, unfortunately.

Given that 20MB seems the most Alex wants to allow, the .imp and .zip extensions should be upped (IMHO for those links cited) to 20MB as all the other major ebook formats and .rar are already at 20MB.

At the same time, you can reduce the .opf max. size down to 1MB from 15MB.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
If you happen to do that in English I would be most interested
as soon as i manage it, i will definitely upload it here. (of course, i have no idea when i will manage it... )