Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I can buy paper books from any of the amazon sites. I used to buy lots of import books from amazon.com ( in pre-kindle times). I've also bought blu ray from amazon.fr to get the Caprica box set that's not at amazon.uk

But I feel discriminated against again now.

They are happy to sell me tablets & e-ink devices ( for same price or higher than my USA counterpart), but they lock me out of this new service, for which I'd be willing to pay. I'm pretty sure that I also am NOT allowed to buy a plain kindle book from .com, even when .uk do not stock it.

I really don't get the business logic. It's not like it's a limited membership pilot service, you don't pilot with the whole of USA allowed in !
It's just more geographical restrictions garbage. It's about which countries Amazon is licensed to sell the books in. It has started with the US and one would presume negotiation are taking place for other countries.

As far as the actual workings, it appears that you can have up to ten books at one time on this program which will appear in your Amazon Library. You download them just like other purchased books, following a link if the book is available on the program. Presumably you return the book when you are finished reading clearing space amongst your ten.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
I Heard big publishers didn't participate ,is this correct?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
I Heard big publishers didn't participate ,is this correct?
Apparently not yet. But the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was listed as available.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
JellyFish
JellyFish doesn't litterJellyFish doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Apparently not yet. But the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was listed as available.
I have those books on Kindle, but I never noticed the publisher. Who is it? Must be a big publisher right? Tolkien's books are still very popular.
JellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Why not just got a library card,2 dollar?
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish View Post
I have those books on Kindle, but I never noticed the publisher. Who is it? Must be a big publisher right? Tolkien's books are still very popular.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #22
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a large and very old publisher, but not considered one of the "big five." They also print and distribute the books that Amazon publishes. There are a few other "big but not big five" publishers in the KU program, such as Algonquin Books, Norton, and Scholastic (publisher of the Harry Potter series).
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
JellyFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Thanks, booklover.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
JellyFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a large and very old publisher, but not considered one of the "big five." They also print and distribute the books that Amazon publishes. There are a few other "big but not big five" publishers in the KU program, such as Algonquin Books, Norton, and Scholastic (publisher of the Harry Potter series).
Thanks, the Harry Potter books will probably be quite popular in Kindle Unlimited. I've already read them, but that was years ago. So a reread might be something worth doing once I get through some of the other books I'm reading.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
shortie555
shortie555 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle on all Apple/Android mobile devices

You can read Kindle eBooks and Kindle Unlimited on any smartphone, tablet or PC/Mac with Amazon's free software: [Shortened URL deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-21-2014 at 08:29 AM.
shortie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #26
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
$10 a month, that's the cost of one book per month these days and it eliminates the risk of buying a bad book, if you get it on the program and you don't like it there is no loss to you the reader.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie555 View Post
You can read Kindle eBooks and Kindle Unlimited on any smartphone, tablet or PC/Mac with Amazon's free software: [Shortened URL deleted - MODERATOR]

Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle unlimited, netflix for ebooks