Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro
Question Calibre Companion fully implemented on Kindle Fire?

I noticed that Calibre Companion is now available on the Amazon AppStore. Does that mean it's now fully functional on the Kindle Fire (including launching books with the built-in reader app, which I know was a problem to implement)?
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
I noticed that Calibre Companion is now available on the Amazon AppStore. Does that mean it's now fully functional on the Kindle Fire (including launching books with the built-in reader app, which I know was a problem to implement)?
No, it isn't compatible with the kindle fire. In fact, I don't think that a fire owner can even buy it. This is really an amazon decision. They have blocked almost all reader apps and reader-related apps from the fire marketplace.

That said, CC will actually run on the fire, or at least the fire V1 that we have. However, it does not integrate with Amazon's reader app on the fire. The app is not the same as kindle for android that we now support reasonably well.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if I buy it for my Droid X and sideload it to my Fire v1, it'll run OK for wireless syncing, but I won't be able to launch books in the built-in reader app. Am I interpreting correctly?

If so, I have a dilemma. As I discussed with you in email a couple of months ago, I mostly want the app for wireless syncing of my daily newspaper, but it'll annoy me to know I've got a great book organizer on my Fire but can't use it to its fullest capabilities because Amazon chose to make their reader app less accessible than other apps.

Sigh.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

Looks like it is possible to launch the Kindle Fire's reader app

Have you seen the Collections and Categories app from the "Free Kindle Books and Tips" guy? It claims to be able to launch the Kindle Fire's kindle reader app on a specific book.

I don't know how they do it, but maybe there's some hope that Calibre Companion can do it somehow too.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
Have you seen the Collections and Categories app from the "Free Kindle Books and Tips" guy? It claims to be able to launch the Kindle Fire's kindle reader app on a specific book.

I don't know how they do it, but maybe there's some hope that Calibre Companion can do it somehow too.
Thanks for the hint.

There is a way to open books that have a valid amazon ID. Unfortunately, most books that come from calibre libraries do not have a "real" amazon ID, so the way doesn't work. My guess is that the app you point at works with books that have been downloaded from amazon and thus have valid IDs associated with them.

I have spent many hours trying to reverse engineer what exactly K4A does with the ID with the hope of being able to pass a file name instead, without success. That doesn't mean that there isn't a way, but it isn't documented and it isn't guessable, at least by me.
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for the hint.

There is a way to open books that have a valid amazon ID. Unfortunately, most books that come from calibre libraries do not have a "real" amazon ID, so the way doesn't work. My guess is that the app you point at works with books that have been downloaded from amazon and thus have valid IDs associated with them.
I bet you're right. Most of what he does on his blog is to highlight books that are available for free on Amazon, so everything you end up getting "through him" is really through Amazon. It's a useful service, but you're right that his app probably focuses on Amazon ID stuff.

Quote:
I have spent many hours trying to reverse engineer what exactly K4A does with the ID with the hope of being able to pass a file name instead, without success. That doesn't mean that there isn't a way, but it isn't documented and it isn't guessable, at least by me.
Would you be willing to put in something for now that works only for books with an Amazon ID? 90+% of my reading is newspapers (via Calibre, so I know they work already), library books (which end up ultimately being through Amazon) and stuff I get directly from Amazon (usually found via the Free Books blog). So if CC pushed Amazon ID stuff to K4A, it'd cover my needs and possibly many others' as well.

I know it wouldn't be a complete solution, and as a fellow developer, I appreciate the desire to get it right, but it might be a decent stepping stone toward the ultimate solution.

The reason I keep pushing on this, by the way, is that my alternative is to grab the Collections and Categories app for organizing and buy CC only to use for wireless downloads of my newspapers. That's an OK choice, but I like the idea of being able to use Calibre on my computer to do the actual organizing of my books instead of having to do it on my Kindle, so I'd prefer to be using CC for everything.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
leecole
Lee Cole
leecole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire,Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Ipod Touch
Collections for Kindle Fire app

Quote:
Thanks for the hint.

I have and use Collections for Kindle Fire app, and I have several hundred Calibre books loaded into it (when I say Calibre books, I mean mostly epub books the Calibre has converted into mobi) and if I select any one of them, and click OPEN, the Kindle Fire does indeed open the book, no problem. When I close the book, I return to the Fire's home, and the next time I enter Collections app, I enter on a edit of that books info where I may update my reading progress if I desire. Ideally closing the book would have taken me back into Collections, but the point is, Collections is able to open the Kindle Reader with the book. Collections doesn't download the books, so they are already in the Sdcard/Books folder, maybe Calibre Companion needs to download from Calibre into Sdcard/Books folder.

I use Dolphin browser instead of Silk, for that reason, when I download from Calibre server, Dolphin asks where I want to download to, and I choose Sdcard/Books.

Lee Cole
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecole View Post
I have and use Collections for Kindle Fire app, and I have several hundred Calibre books loaded into it (when I say Calibre books, I mean mostly epub books the Calibre has converted into mobi) and if I select any one of them, and click OPEN, the Kindle Fire does indeed open the book, no problem. When I close the book, I return to the Fire's home, and the next time I enter Collections app, I enter on a edit of that books info where I may update my reading progress if I desire. Ideally closing the book would have taken me back into Collections, but the point is, Collections is able to open the Kindle Reader with the book. Collections doesn't download the books, so they are already in the Sdcard/Books folder, maybe Calibre Companion needs to download from Calibre into Sdcard/Books folder.

I use Dolphin browser instead of Silk, for that reason, when I download from Calibre server, Dolphin asks where I want to download to, and I choose Sdcard/Books.

Lee Cole
It sounds like you are using a real kindle, not the Kindle for Android app on a non-kindle device. Is this true? If not, can you give me a link to the app you referring to?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
leecole
Lee Cole
leecole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire,Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Ipod Touch
Reply to charley

Quote:
It sounds like you are using a real kindle, not the Kindle for Android app on a non-kindle device. Is this true? If not, can you give me a link to the app you referring to?
I am using a Kindle Fire HD that has NOT been rooted. I purchased Calibre Companion from Amazon but Amazon never divered CC, but I obtained a copy of CC from another source but it would not stay connected to Calibre saying I am not running a copy that has been purchased from Google Marketing, which is true. However, it doesn't disconnect until it has finished syncing with Calibe. If you go into CC settings, you can set the location and type of books (mobi, prn, adz, epub, etc.) I have set the location of mobi, adz, prn books as sdcard/books and epub books as sdcard/DolphinEBooks for epub books. Calibre Companion sees all my books, if I select a book ad click on read, it asks if I want to use Kindle or DolphinEBook to open with (DolphinEBook can read either mobi or epub). I feel that if Amazon would just deliver the Calibre Companion that I have purchased and paid for, then it would verify my purchase with Amazon instead of Google, and would work correctly.
To change location and book formats supported, click on the three bars which will give a menu of options, the first option is "location and book formats". DolphinEBook is a Dolphin extention which I optained from 1market.com. My primary source for free apps.
Lee Cole
leecole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecole View Post
I am using a Kindle Fire HD that has NOT been rooted. I purchased Calibre Companion from Amazon but Amazon never divered CC
Post 2 above and this section of the FAQ explain why you are having problems. Bottom line is Amazon will not approve this great app to run on the Kindle Fire.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-19-2013 at 09:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, kindle fire