Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
nomad062
nomad062 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Dual Boot Linuxmint/XP Library sharing

I am currently running XP/LinuxMint12/Ubuntu 11.10.

I run Calibre in all boot modes pointing to Calibre Library's on NTFS files ystem originally created under XP.

Under Ubuntu the NTFS file system is available in Calibre if accessed prior to running Calibre (IE the disk is mounted).

Under Mint this isn't the case. I cannot get Calibre under Mint to access any filesystems other than the Mint root.

Fairly novice Linux user here so be gentle with your suggestions please.

Laurin
nomad062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad062 View Post
I am currently running XP/LinuxMint12/Ubuntu 11.10.

I run Calibre in all boot modes pointing to Calibre Library's on NTFS files ystem originally created under XP.

Under Ubuntu the NTFS file system is available in Calibre if accessed prior to running Calibre (IE the disk is mounted).

Under Mint this isn't the case. I cannot get Calibre under Mint to access any filesystems other than the Mint root.

Fairly novice Linux user here so be gentle with your suggestions please.

Laurin
Don't

There are differences (case sensitivity or lack there of) between Windows and Linux file naming that will haunt you if you are not extremely careful.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
nomad062

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Don't

There are differences (case sensitivity or lack there of) between Windows and Linux file naming that will haunt you if you are not extremely careful.
It is basically temporary until I decide on an operating system, but I don't want to have to reboot back and forth for the time being. I don't do all the management stuff I see being talked about in the forum - mostly just add books and read, very rarely do I edit metadata etc.

I am still interested in why Calibre under Mint doesn't even see the drive. It does get mounted as fuseblk rather than ntfs for some reason, however, it is the same under Ubuntu.

Last edited by nomad062; 04-02-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: More information added
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
nomad062

Ok, found it. Had to look under /media for the drive, doesn't show up like I was expecting as an actual device to be selected.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Ok, found it. Had to look under /media for the drive, doesn't show up like I was expecting as an actual device to be selected.
Click on icon Computer on desktop (in Mint Katya) or open file browser other way (on Lisa)
On left side of file browser you have listed media called Places.
By double-clicking on the disk you mount it.
You can also mount disk by installing gparted, and many other ways, as described in countless Ubuntu and Mint Linux howtos.

I personally would use fat32 filesystem instead of ntfs. But I might be a bit too conservative. Ntfs seems to be working OK lately.

Oh. One more thing.
Make a backup of your library regularly if you play with fire this way.

I myself am dual-booting between Mint Katya and Lisa (and other systems, such as FreeBSD, but I do not use Calibre on those). I have one common partition that I mount as /home/ on all Linux distributions. I use one distro - in this case Katya until I tune another (Lisa) to my taste, then I move work files between directories /home/katya and /home/lisa, and make space for transition to LM13 by deleting Katya system partition. All you need is the same uid for default user (which is automatic in Mint Linux)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
nomad062

Finding the drive under pure Mint wasn't a problem. Under Calibre when creating/adding a library the only options that show up for locations are home and computer. I had to physically key in /media in order to work my way to the actual device.

Very easy once I realized I could.

Thanks for the warnings. And the info on migrating.

Laurin
Old 01-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
bdore
bdore began at the beginning.

Quote:
Finding the drive under pure Mint wasn't a problem. Under Calibre when creating/adding a library the only options that show up for locations are home and computer. I had to physically key in /media in order to work my way to the actual device.

Very easy once I realized I could.

Thanks for the warnings. And the info on migrating.

Laurin
Hi, I am trying to do the same thing but typing the /media path in the library location input returns location no found.

I have the exact same problem, I am on Ubuntu and Calibre sees only my system disk and my home folder.

Tks all for the
bdore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OMG
A Necro post. Did you not see the warning

\
Do read the Calibre FAQ there are OS file system issues that will bite you.

BTW I have a similar rig. I treat Calibre (Linux) as a Read ONLY

(for Library Integrity sake) Use the Content server.
There is a Window REGISTRY tweak so Windows uses the same TIME (Clock) as Linux, which is another ouch if not handled properly
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
bdore
bdore began at the beginning.

I am dual booting and accessing a local storage drive connected to a sata port in my motherboard from both W10 and Ubuntu so I can't use the server.

I know about the time clock and have done that already.

Tks for the tips. The question persists.
bdore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdore View Post
I am dual booting and accessing a local storage drive connected to a sata port in my motherboard from both W10 and Ubuntu so I can't use the server.

I know about the time clock and have done that already.

Tks for the tips. The question persists.
Calibre content server is also available in Ubuntu

I did not intend to imply Running Windows Content server from within Ubuntu
The content server just gives safe access to your books while on the otherside

Tags
linuxmint, ntfs, ubuntu