Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Truth be told, I've bought more than one ebook as AZW (Kindle format) that came with certain formatting/TOC/chapter marker issues; wherein my best method of fixing it was to convert from AZW to ePUB, fix said issues in Sigil (which was amazingly simple) and convert ePUB to MOBI.

More than once, converting mobi(azw, same thing) -> epub -> mobi solved problems, whereas I'm not aware of any significant problems that it created for me at all.

Here's an example:

I have a book that only shows 4 chapter markers; there are more which are hidden, but still don't account for all chapters. Simply converting in Calibre, whether azw->mobi or azw->epub->mobi, created a book in which the TOC only had a few/some of the chapters listed (depending on whether I had heuristics enabled) but never all of them.

Converting to ePub, opening in Sigil, verifying TOC with its TOC Editor, saving and converting back to mobi FIXED these problems and now I have a nice, clean and pretty TOC with plenty of visible chapter markers at the bottom, all of which are in the right places, with which to easily navigate my book.

Converting between epub and mobi solves problems, moreso than creates them.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
ignis
ignis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
As it stands now, I am this close to getting a Kindle. I am in dire need of an ereader for school, and at current prices, a PRS-650 will actually cost me about $200 more. Waiting for several months for Sony Readers to be back in stock is not an option for me. Kindle having WiFi is a nice bonus, too.

I admit that my experience with Calibre is very limited, and the last time I used it was about 2 years ago, so I assume things have changed since then. Many of you here have said that converting ePub to AZW isn't as problematic as I have thought, so that definitely did something to reassure me.

In addition, I have already bought about 30 Kindle in the past to read on Kindle iPhone app, and after some checking, it seems that at least half of my ePub collection is either available for free or costs very little on Amazon.

There are only 2 things that currently nag me about a Kindle:

1. How does it's screen perform in low lighting? I've been reading ebooks on LCD displays for a decade, I'm used to backlight, however dim, so I don't know what to expect from an e-ink screen.
2. How scratch-resistant is Kindle? Do I need to buy a screen protector and a cover for it?

Thanks in advance.
ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Truth be told, I've bought more than one ebook as AZW (Kindle format) that came with certain formatting/TOC/chapter marker issues; wherein my best method of fixing it was to convert from AZW to ePUB, fix said issues in Sigil (which was amazingly simple) and convert ePUB to MOBI.
That is, IMHO, one of the reasons i don't like mobi. With a crappy mobi, you have to convert to someting else, fix it, then reconvert to Mobi.
With ePub, open with sigil, fix, and you're done.

And overall, i've seen less crapy ePub than crappy mobi. Though fixing the margins is an almost "must do" with ePub.

Quote:
I admit that my experience with Calibre is very limited, and the last time I used it was about 2 years ago, so I assume things have changed since then. Many of you here have said that converting ePub to AZW isn't as problematic as I have thought, so that definitely did something to reassure me.
Basicly, it's clean in , clean out. Garbage in, garbage out. If you have a well formated ePub, will work. In my case the ePub had large margins, that repercuted on the mobi.
The other point is if you have some "advenced" fomating.

Quote:
1. How does it's screen perform in low lighting? I've been reading ebooks on LCD displays for a decade, I'm used to backlight, however dim, so I don't know what to expect from an e-ink screen.
Like a paper book. No light, no can see.

Quote:
2. How scratch-resistant is Kindle? Do I need to buy a screen protector and a cover for it?
Cover, definitivly. E-ink screens are prone to breakage. As to the screen protector, i never managed to scratch any of my reader's screen.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignis View Post
There are only 2 things that currently nag me about a Kindle:

Thanks in advance.
  1. From my experience, it performs as well in low lighting as a paper book does.
    I have a K2, which doesn't have book light attached to the cover (as is available with K3,) but I did buy a Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 booklight for it, which works well enough and doesn't bother me. I suppose if you're used to backlit LCDs it takes getting used to, but if you read paper books in low lighting, it's about the same for an eInk device. Better, in fact because ereaders are often lighter now than paper books.
  2. I do suggest you get a screen protector and cover (or a cover at the very least). My suggested brand of choice for a screen protector is a Green Onion Anti-Glare Screen Protector. I can personally attest that it really does have good anti-glare.

You don't have to have a screen protector, but you do need a cover. My mother carried her Kindle around with no cover (ie. naked) for 3 weeks, and ended up cracking the screen. You can read it while it's naked, but it would behoove you to have a cover on it otherwise.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-12-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
  • stripping DRM may be illigal in your country (the OP comes from Norway)
  • Sony has a huge bookstore and the same prizing as Amazon and you can shop in all the Norwegian ebook stores too
  • others have wonderful customer services too
  • Sony has the greatest likelihood of staying on top in Europe
  • current K3 features a cheap keyboard whereas the Sony has IR touchscreen
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The American SonySite has the red ones available. They are only backordered till the end of the month. So if I were in your shoes, I'd either look out for them or wait a week or two.

If you go for a Kindle there is a cover with an integrated light, same as Sony has. They are great. No extra lamp to carry with you.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
  • stripping DRM may be illigal in your country (the OP comes from Norway)
  • Sony has a huge bookstore and the same prizing as Amazon and you can shop in all the Norwegian ebook stores too
  • others have wonderful customer services too
  • Sony has the greatest likelihood of staying on top in Europe
  • current K3 features a cheap keyboard whereas the Sony has IR touchscreen
The true is that even though is illegal, people remove DRM no matter what. Just browse the forums and you'll see. So that is not really a roadblock anymore.

Sony bookstore can't not be compared to Amazon online bookstore, no yet. Amazon titles and variety is huge! Even B&N online store is right now better than Sony's.

Now, your perception or opinion about Kindle 3 being cheap is just that, an opinion. It is a well made product and really light. Actually, the Nook 1st gen is cheaper and had lot of cracking issues with the buttons. Just check around Kindle forums and you will see little or no issues about the hardware itself. Of course, like every product you will find junks and defective devices; my 1st Kindle had a battery problem, but I returned and the new one has been working perfectly.

Sony ereader is a great hardware, I like it a lot, but for being an eink reader and not being backed up by a solid online store like B&N/Nook or Amazon/Kindle, is a minus in my opinion, not to mention the price. Most students or average people will find it expensive; for that price you can buy a Nook Color, for example, and provides color.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Because:
  • Amazon has the greatest likelihood coming out on top and staying there in the ebook reader business, as evidenced in part by the fact that BN is discontinuing the Nook 3G;
Um not sure what them only having a WiFi version of the Nook really hurts anything. I guess they just aren't seeing enough people buy them rather than the WiFi only version. But, I'm pretty sure Barnes & Nobel is into the eBook market for the long haul... I'm sure they see the writing on the wall that pbooks sales are going to start decreasing as ebook sales are growing by leaps and bounds month over month.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The true is that even though is illegal, people remove DRM no matter what. Just browse the forums and you'll see. So that is not really a roadblock anymore.
Just wanted to mention it. There is always a very fast "strip the DRM" answer here on the forums, but hardly anyone ever bothers to tell people the whole story.

Quote:
Sony bookstore can't not be compared to Amazon online bookstore, no yet. Amazon titles and variety is huge! Even B&N online store is right now better than Sony's.
Whatever I wanted to buy until now, Sony had it. Same price as Amazon, too. One book, Lolita, even 10$ cheaper than Amazon. The layout is not as fancy and I can not say if they have the biggest choice in Vampire stories and the like as I don't read those things, but what I see it is as good as anyone elses store. My point was: what Amazon and the Kindle do Sony Readers and Sony do. Book buying made easy.

Quote:
Now, your perception or opinion about Kindle 3 being cheap is just that, an opinion. It is a well made product and really light. Actually, the Nook 1st gen is cheaper and had lot of cracking issues with the buttons. Just check around Kindle forums and you will see little or no issues about the hardware itself. Of course, like every product you will find junks and defective devices; my 1st Kindle had a battery problem, but I returned and the new one has been working perfectly.
Actually I did not say the Kindle is a cheap product, I said they have a cheap keyboard whereas the Sony has an expensive IR touchscreen. I am sure you do not want to deny this fact, or do you?

Quote:
Sony ereader is a great hardware, I like it a lot, but for being an eink reader and not being backed up by a solid online store like B&N/Nook or Amazon/Kindle, is a minus in my opinion, not to mention the price. Most students or average people will find it expensive; for that price you can buy a Nook Color, for example, and provides color.
Oh, there are SonyStores. I don't know if there are Sony stores in the States but the OP lives in Norway/Europe, so please be so kind to tell me where there is a B&N or Amazon around the corner.

In order to help someone make their decision it is not really helpfull to only look at what you have in your corner of the world but what they have in their corner of the world. And here in Europe we have epub, Sony, Pocketbook and the one or other company more. I do not see the wisdom in shouting Kindle and Nook from every roof top, when there is no Kindle or Nook around here. Most students and average people find it expensive to ship their stuff around the world in case there is need to do so.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
chyron8472
Groupie

Quote:
Just wanted to mention it. There is always a very fast "strip the DRM" answer here on the forums, but hardly anyone ever bothers to tell people the whole story.
The whole story that if you buy an ebook for personal use and don't sell or distribute it (as that takes profits away from the author), that noone need know or care that you broke the DRM since you bought it and only keep it for yourself and therefore ought to be able to format/fix/edit it how you want?

That whole story?

Quote:
Actually I did not say the Kindle is a cheap product, I said they have a cheap keyboard whereas the Sony has an expensive IR touchscreen. I am sure you do not want to deny this fact, or do you?
I don't think the keyboard is "cheap." You might prefer the touch screen, but it makes the barrier to entry higher for prospective ebook buying customers of Sony books than for Kindle books.

Quote:
Oh, there are SonyStores. I don't know if there are Sony stores in the States but the OP lives in Norway/Europe, so please be so kind to tell me where there is a B&N or Amazon around the corner.
yes, Barnes and Noble is everywhere here.

Okay, so there are Sony stores here, though they're few and far between, and I've never seen one in my life.

Also, if my wife's Kindle breaks and we receive a replacement free of charge, including shipping within 2 days of my calling Amazon CS about it, I'd say I don't need a local Amazon store.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-12-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
The whole story that if you buy an ebook for personal use and don't sell or distribute it (as that takes profits away from the author), that noone need know or care that you broke the DRM since you bought it and only keep it for yourself and therefore ought to be able to format/fix/edit it how you want?

That whole story?

I don't think the keyboard is "cheap." You might prefer the touch screen, but it makes the barrier to entry higher for prospective ebook buying customers of Sony books than for Kindle books.

yes, Barnes and Noble is everywhere here.

Okay, so there are Sony stores here, though they're few and far between, and I've never seen one in my life.

Also, if my wife's Kindle breaks and we receive a replacement free of charge, including shipping within 2 days of my calling Amazon CS about it, I'd say I don't need a local Amazon store.
Nice map of North America. And now please show me the B&N stores in NORWAY/EUROPE where the OP lives.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:

That whole story?
BTW there are people in this world who think it makes no difference if anyone else knows if they broke the law or not, they know it and that is enough. Not everyone feels comfortable doing illegal things even when the chance of getting caught might be nil. So why do you mock me, when I say it is nicer to give them the whole information?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Poppaea,

If you read my post, I suggested Sony and Kindle as suitable choices because they do have better internation support.

Now, even if you can find your favorites books in Sony store, Amazon online store is bigger, c' mon! all people know that. And we're talking here about online stores, not brick stores. You start your computer, open your browser and then you can download and buy the book.

I live in USA but my family does not. Standard shipping rates depend of weight and other factors, but I doubt that buying a Kindle plus shipping is more expensive than buying a Sony there, locally, in case you find one.

My main point is that, for the main purpose of reading, lack of ePub support or buying a Kindle (which gives Internation Support) should not be a major issue for the OP, from my point of view, unless lending from public libraries is really a must.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #29
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Just as one can break DRM and convert EPUB to MOBI, one can break DRM and convert MOBI to EPUB. Thus arguments about which e-store is bigger and offers more books is irrelevant (assuming one is willing to break DRM and convert).

I myself have a Sony. I've purchased books from Sony, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Fictionwise, Borders, Smashwords, and a couple independent publishers.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #30
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
jocampo, you sound like you're unaware of many of the international issues you're commenting on.

For instance, Amazon may give you within the US free shipping; not so for those of us in other places. And while it may have a large Kindle bookstore, the international licensing restrictions imposed by Amazon prevent the sale of many of its titles outside the US. And for many of us, buying devices that don't have direct representation in our own countries means the potential cost of international freight if they need to be returned or serviced, which significantly increases the cost.

You can't extrapolate your personal experience in this to the rest of the world.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, prs-650, sony reader