Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Jailbreaking

I thought that jailbreaking was something only apple users did until I read on these forums about Kindle owners jailbreaking their kindles. Why is jailbreaking necessary? Why do owners jailbreak their kindles?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
you have to jailbreak to install the screensaver hack (and some other hacks) as the system is locked out otherwise
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Jailbreaking isn't necessary.

Some people decide to jailbreak it so they can add in custom screensavers instead of the default Kindle ones or because they want to use a bigger range of fonts etc for reading.

There's nothing I've read about which is compelling enough for me to jailbreak my Kindle personally. But I do get why some people want to do this. You can get extra features but you can *potentially* also cause problems with your Kindle if you're not careful. So something to be aware of.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Jailbreaking the Kindle just allows you to install custom non-signed patches and updates (this way to add some functionality). I think the iPhone jailbreak is the same thing or maybe there it is always combined with hacks and unlocking. Jailbreak allows you to use non-signed software (i.e. not bought from the Apple's AppStore) too.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote