Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
alfred.s
alfred.s began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Meanwhile, I tried the driver verifier and removed all reported drivers - no change.
Different versions of Nvidia driver - no change.

The computer is running and running. It only crashes sometimes while editing metadata.
So I probably have to live with it.
alfred.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What kind (brand) of Mouse are you using?

What exactly part of the metadata were you editing at the crash point?

and Which drives are being used: (post the full path). Do the paths ONLY have ASCII names in them?

1) the Library
2) for TMP and TEMP (user environment setting)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred.s View Post
Meanwhile, I tried the driver verifier and removed all reported drivers - no change.
Different versions of Nvidia driver - no change.
Have you tried disabling the NVIDIA Display Adapter in Device Manager, rebooting the PC and seeing if the problem persists?

You will, of course, get an ugly screen while you do so, but it may resolve whether it is the adapter or not.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@alfred.s - Its unlikely to be drivers - 10-20 years ago it might have been but not today.

Your HP computer is quite old - actually its a rebadged compaq system - things wear out, just like parts on cars and appliances.

I'll bet London to a brick on that the problem is the graphics card, no amount of software fiddling will fix it. Go to your local computer shop and buy the best graphics adapter you can afford, preferably with the ATI chipset - AMD cards are pretty good.

I've had it with NVIDIA bloat and pushing new drivers down my throat whenever they add support for their latest whiz-bang that I neither have nor want.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-18-2014 at 05:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance that the computer is overheating, and that there is a build up of dust?

Additionally, to get some analysis done of the dump file take a look at http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Last edited by PeterT; 05-18-2014 at 05:55 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #21
alfred.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What kind (brand) of Mouse are you using?
What exactly part of the metadata ...
Do the paths ONLY have ASCII names in them?
Mouse: HP PS/2
Editing varies. Sometimes I do an internet search, sometimes I edit the book-series, sometimes I move to the next book, sometimes the edit-window is just open without any action.

Path to library: d:\ebooks\temp
TMP/TEMP: c:\users\alfred\appdata\local\temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Have you tried disabling the NVIDIA Display Adapter in Device Manager,
Did not test this yet, because it scrambles my screen and desktop completely.
Almost unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Your HP computer is quite old - actually its a rebadged compaq system - things wear out, just like parts on cars and appliances.
BR
It's 3 years old and I use 10 of them for business and one privately for each family member. They are all a bit different in parts and OS (XP,Vista32, Win7-64) and they all run 24/7 without any significant problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any chance that the computer is overheating, and that there is a build up of dust?
It's cleaner as my car. Definitely no overheat (monitored as well).
Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #22
alfred.s

Just installed whocrashed. Maybe it helps.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's 3 years old and I use 10 of them for business and one privately for each family member. They are all a bit different in parts and OS (XP,Vista32, Win7-64) and they all run 24/7 without any significant problems.
Have you tried running your calibre on one of the other machines. Its easy to move calibre between machines. Install calibre on other machine, and copy your library(ies) and configuration data to the other machine.

Or, IMO a better alternative, you could install calibre portable onto a USB drive, copy your library(ies) and configuration into the calibre portable folder on the USB drive. You can then test the USB install on your machine and a couple of the others. If it crashes your machine but not the others then its your machine or system software. If it crashes other machines then it's the calibre software or the calibre data, i.e. libraries or config or a combination thereof.

BR
Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you might try using a different (very short) TMP/TEMP path, but this issue usually only affects really long author-title names (excessive characters in a path)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #25
alfred.s

Got a little closer to the solution: Whocrashed reports in most cases "vsdatant.sys" to cause the crash. Goggle shows many posts regarding "vsdatant.sys" and bsod.

Right now, ZoneAlarm ist deinstalling. I will keep you informed, if it helps.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #26
alfred.s

I think, I got it. Till now, no more crashes since I removed ZoneAlarm.
Still, not 100% sure. But I will keep you updated.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
for keeping the community informed and kudos to PeterT for identifying the right diagnostic tool.

BR
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for the report.
Wow, the ultimate tool for protecting your computer: If in doubt: BLUE SCREEN IT

For those Windows XP an higher users that miss it: Microsoft (Sysinternals) offer the Bluescreen screen saver
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb897558

the first time it fires off while an IT type is walking by
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #29
alfred.s

No more BSODs - Great!
THX to everybody!

Tags
bluescreen, crash, edit, metadata, vista