Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #16
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
@homeinmyshoes : so I just read on a similar thread that you are doing skeleton in Papier Maché too.. any instructions on that ? We ordered two, one normal and another being a skeleton bride (she looks really spooky on the pics), but it would be nice to have couple more and I don't want to buy anything anymore.

We are currently collecting used paper rolls to do masks to suspend in trees (with glow sitcks behind them to simulate eyes glowing in the dark), and I have tons and tons of big old cardboard boxes (TV and furniture packaging) left from our moving so we are going to carve big bat forms in that and paint them black and "glowstick" them to suspend them in front of the garage and the entrance too.

I have electric candles that we are going to set under real masks and suspend them on the walls of the den, which is where the actual party will take place. We also have two big spider nets to decorate that room. I have old bed sheets to cover the den couch and armchairs, and our bride will complete the scene, Miss Havisham's style.

The kids are all staying over as we live in the mountain and they all live in the city, so the den will double as dormitory for, as I have now been informed, around 20 kids. We have had up to 12 without problems before, but 20 is going to be, let's say, challenging....Thank God they are nice kids, but I still need to bring that part of the plan to my husband...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm going to make some heads out of paper mache, but not a full skeleton. Thnking about it, I think I could make an entire skeleton, but the work would be crazy for something destroyed in the first rain or snow.

Paper mache is relatively easy to do whatever. I would suggest
this book as a great guide to making stuff. They really talk to all the points of working with paper and cloth in making shapes and then in how to paint the stuff. It tells you many tricks to know to get good results.

20 kids?!?! Aye carumba!

A tip for the tombstones. The more you screw it up by gouging and scraping the better it can end up looking. I need to get some dirt to level around so they look more set in.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm going to make some heads out of paper mache, but not a full skeleton. Thnking about it, I think I could make an entire skeleton, but the work would be crazy for something destroyed in the first rain or snow.

Paper mache is relatively easy to do whatever. I would suggest
this book as a great guide to making stuff. They really talk to all the points of working with paper and cloth in making shapes and then in how to paint the stuff. It tells you many tricks to know to get good results.

20 kids?!?! Aye carumba!

A tip for the tombstones. The more you screw it up by gouging and scraping the better it can end up looking. I need to get some dirt to level around so they look more set in.
Thanks for the link, I just bought the book and it is now downloading on my Fire.
Yeah, 20 or more. I don't know what got into my head when I said "yes, sure", . DH agreed to help us for the decoration, not sure I want him to though, as he can be very un-creative...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #19
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Eight year olds are about ideal for Hallowe'en creativity. A bit of wit, a bit of gruesome and just plain fun.

I started my paper mache last night. While my five year old loves tactile and messy crafts, I do not love having to rework his work to make it usable. Way too much paste my son, way too much paste. The laughs and "this is so oozy, this is so gross" comments while he's smiling are worth it. The clean up, not so much.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Eight year olds are about ideal for Hallowe'en creativity. A bit of wit, a bit of gruesome and just plain fun.

I started my paper mache last night. While my five year old loves tactile and messy crafts, I do not love having to rework his work to make it usable. Way too much paste my son, way too much paste. The laughs and "this is so oozy, this is so gross" comments while he's smiling are worth it. The clean up, not so much.
He won't stay that age long. Enjoy it.
Also, he is the perfect age to decorate a Christmas tree.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He won't stay that age long. Enjoy it.
Also, he is the perfect age to decorate a Christmas tree.
You would use an 8-year-old kid as a Christmas tree decoration? How utterly heartless and cruel.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You would use an 8-year-old kid as a Christmas tree decoration? How utterly heartless and cruel.
No the 5 year old.

I love the way you read that.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No the 5 year old.
That was a typoo.

Quote:
I love the way you read that.
Are you trying to tell me you didn't really mean that after all? Just joking, were you?
Pull the other one, it's got bells on...

(For some reason, this line always reminds me of Gaspode from The Truth. )
Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
That was a typoo.

Are you trying to tell me you didn't really mean that after all? Just joking, were you?
Pull the other one, it's got bells on...

(For some reason, this line always reminds me of Gaspode from The Truth. )
I meant let the 5 year old put the decorations on the tree, not use the kids as tree decorations.

Now babies make good wall hangings. Lol.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You didn't start thinking I was serious, did you?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There's always the traditional bobbing for apples.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

You didn't start thinking I was serious, did you?
You mean you weren't serious. Oh no, I guess I need to go get the kids off of the tree.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
You mean you weren't serious. Oh no, I guess I need to go get the kids off of the tree.
I THOUGHT SO YOU SCOUNDREL!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There's always the traditional bobbing for apples.
...or bobbing for something else

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Now babies make good wall hangings. Lol.
Be sure to use some festive duct tape when mounting them for the holidays
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote