Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I bought my first kindle about 10 months ago, and now I have about 100 of them.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #32
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Some people still have the original Kindles, I would say that....after 6 years u may still get it to work on an USB external power battery? But I believe the age of a battery is also dependent on temperature variables - living in a cold country could extend the life by about 6 to 8 months?
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
iansoady
Enthusiast
iansoady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Well.....

Contacted Amazon by email at around 11 am today. Had a phone call from them around 3 pm - a very nice chap saying that although my Kindle was out of warranty, as it's a battery life problem they would send me a new one anyway. So that's in the post and I have 30 days to send the old one back. A confirmation email arrived a few minutes later.

I call that a result and all credit to Amazon. Their taxpaying record may be a bit dodgy but I can't fault their customer service.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #34
iansoady
Enthusiast

Very happy.

Just a quick update - a brand new Kindle has just arrived and is now on charge. What's more, it is a 3G version - my old one was the basic Wifi one. And it arrived with a new charging cable and plug.

So I'm very happy and well done Amazon.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
The 3g is nice to have if caught out in the boonies without WiFi.

Congratulations on your upgrade and enjoy!
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
iansoady
Enthusiast

Just to point out that in another thread I started (now locked) I was not suggesting stealing from Amazon, by whom I have been very impressed. It would have been perfectly possible for people to reply without making such implications.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #37
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
Just to point out that in another thread I started (now locked) I was not suggesting stealing from Amazon, by whom I have been very impressed. It would have been perfectly possible for people to reply without making such implications.
Tethering like you suggested in the locked thread consumes much more bandwidth than using the built-in webkit browser, and amazon has to pay for that bandwidth. Such abuse has already caused severe monthly bandwidth caps to be added for international 3G use, and other restrictions as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
Tethering is stealing 3G service. There is no other term for it. Amazon have to pay real money for that data traffic. You are taking actual real, physical money away from Amazon by tethering. That is theft.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #39
Mike S
Mike S began at the beginning.

Device: Kidle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Have you checked to see if there are any books stuck indexing (do a search of your items from the home page for non-existent term, like 'zzxyq' and it'll tell you if there any books not yet indexed). This is something that could cause the battery to drain a bit quicker than normal, and it's something that happens with me on occasion when I transfer books to my Kindle using Calibre (not sure why as when I delete the offending book and reload it's fine).
Would you talk about how the indexing works? I just got a Kindle Keyboard and uploaded 1,048 text files (versions of html that Kindle can render) and .mobi books. The kindle is a bit slow, and using your search technique I found that over 800 of the items haven't been indexed yet. Does that process happen in the background automatically whenever books are copied to the Kindle? It seems to be going on since the number of not yet indexed items has dropped by about 20 in the last few minutes.

Thanks for your post, I had no idea Kindle did an extensive indexing process. I"m hoping the Kindle speeds up when the indexing is done, right now it takes 5 seconds for it to change pages (of book titles) when the right arrow is clicked.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you responding to a 6-year-old thread? There’s a very good reason for the warning that you’re dong so. Please don’t ignore it.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread