Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Kindle Touch update 5.1.1

I ve read in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180230 that someone get a kindle touch with 5.1.1 software...anyone else knows about this cause on the amazon site the latest KT software is still 5.1.0.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
I ve read in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180230 that someone get a kindle touch with 5.1.1 software...anyone else knows about this cause on the amazon site the latest KT software is still 5.1.0.
There is new firmware for the K4 as well, with nothing at the amazon website (yet).

5.1.1 is probably in response to a serious security flaw in 5.1.0 that allowed a web page to execute arbitrary code on the K5(touch), which was discovered and posted to the Kindle Developer's Corner forum, and reported to amazon.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Was that alleged 5.1.1 update just another BS post by an OP (from the linked thread) who didn't know what he was talking about? I haven't seen anything from any one else stating they got the 5.1.1 update.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
n5kzw
n5kzw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Update 5.1.1

I got a Kindle Touch on Saturday, and it came with firmware 5.1.1. I was having some wifi issues with it, so I called CS today. They were quite confused about the 5.1.1 as their documentation only showed 5.1.0.

Ed
n5kzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5kzw View Post
I got a Kindle Touch on Saturday, and it came with firmware 5.1.1. I was having some wifi issues with it, so I called CS today. They were quite confused about the 5.1.1 as their documentation only showed 5.1.0.

Ed
Do you see any Parental Controls in the menu settings anywhere? If you truly do have 5.1.1, and it's not just a version display glitch, I'm curious if they added those like they did with the most recent kindle 4 update.

Last edited by dukesilver; 06-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Was that alleged 5.1.1 update just another BS post by an OP (from the linked thread) who didn't know what he was talking about? I haven't seen anything from any one else stating they got the 5.1.1 update.
I have seen 3 reports of kindles that REPORTED 5.1.1 (with screenshots in some cases). In one case, the settings menu changed from 5.1.1 to 5.1.0 after rebooting (with wifi off, so no OTA updates).

It appears that the K5 5.1.0 firmware can falsely report that it is version 5.1.1 in the settings menu in some cases (just another in a long list of bugs and annoyances in the 5.1.x firmware).

So, we do not KNOW if there even IS a version 5.1.1, or that is just 5.1.0 LYING about its version number...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
julesbnt
julesbnt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
5.1.1 on my kindle

on june 12th i ordered a KT, received on the 15th and powered it up for the first time on the 19th. it showed FW 5.1.0.
on the 20th i connected it to my wi fi network and it talked of an update. now it says its firmware release is 5.1.1
I've not tried any jail-break yet. i'll let you know next monday...
julesbnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
n5kzw
n5kzw began at the beginning.

[QUOTE=geekmaster;2119602]I have seen 3 reports of kindles that REPORTED 5.1.1 (with screenshots in some cases). In one case, the settings menu changed from 5.1.1 to 5.1.0 after rebooting (with wifi off, so no OTA updates).

In my case, CS had me reset both by holding the power key in for 30 sec, and by holding the home key and the power key. The version number did not change from 5.1.1.

Ed
n5kzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5kzw View Post
In my case, CS had me reset both by holding the power key in for 30 sec, and by holding the home key and the power key. The version number did not change from 5.1.1.

Ed
Did CS acknowledge that an official 5.1.1 exists then?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Look at the number of posts for those claiming to have seen the 5.1.1 update. Of the four I saw who claimed to have seen it, one has 13 posts, one 1 post, one 2 posts, and one 6 posts. It is clear that all are new comers to this forum and possibly new to Kindles. I still suspect this is just pure BS or they simply don't know what they actually saw. I still have not seen any credible evidence that 5.1.1 ever existed other than in someone's imagination.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Look at the number of posts for those claiming to have seen the 5.1.1 update. Of the four I saw who claimed to have seen it, one has 13 posts, one 1 post, one 2 posts, and one 6 posts. It is clear that all are new comers to this forum and possibly new to Kindles. I still suspect this is just pure BS or they simply don't know what they actually saw. I still have not seen any credible evidence that 5.1.1 ever existed other than in someone's imagination.
just because a person's post count is low does not mean that they are ignorant or trolling. Even I was a lurker, gathering information for a while, before I decide to actually create an account here. I personally think those who have seen 5.1.1 is merely just experiencing a software glitch...whether that be a bad ota update, or a bug in 5.1 .0

also don't forget that someone did post a screenshot showing 5.1.1. sure he could have photoshop it, but I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by dukesilver; 06-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The removed WLAN on/off option is a catastrophe. No shortcut and I have to go through several options a day to change the status.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
geekmaster

In the past couple of days, there have been multiple new reports of non-US kindles coming with 5.1.1 preinstalled, and this version number survives reboot.

We need copies of these firmware images and kernels to analyze (main and diags), so we can update our hacks to work reliably on them.

It would also be very helpful if somebody could intercept a 5.1.1 OTA update and send that to us for analysis as well. Contact one or more of (geekmaster, NiLuJe, itab, knc1) who will contribute to this required firmware analysis phase.

P.S. who else is working on firmware analysis lately?

Until analysis is complete, we can only guess at the changes (if any).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
Alb
Alb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle TOUCH, firmware 5.1.1
How can I help you to get the firmware images and kernels?

PS1: You do not know how I appreciate the work that you take.

PS2: My computer skills are a little better than my English.
Alb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alb View Post
How can I help you to get the firmware images and kernels?

PS1: You do not know how I appreciate the work that you take.

PS2: My computer skills are a little better than my English.
Somebody needs to write a custom RUNME.sh script that calls the "getkernels.sh" script to copy the kernels (there is a thread for getkernels.sh). To run the RUNME.sh it needs a data.tar.gz that runs from diags and installs a payload that runs in main and diags (such as the one from the "Select Boot" thread). The RUNME.sh needs to use "dd" to copy main, then (carefully to prevent infinite loop) erase RUNME.done (one time) and reboot to main (using idme), then copy diags using "dd". I have a script that does most of this, but I will not have access to that computer for a few weeks.

I do not have time to write one right now -- can somebody do that for us (and let me see it for a quick safety check before release)?

Thanks.