Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS - 350
Sony PRS-600 VS Sony PRS-650

Hello there,

First I want to say I love your little corner of the internet and once I make up my mind about my e-Book reader, I'm sure I'll be spending some time around here

Now, as you can see in the title, my dilemma lays in which of the two Sony readers I should get. Now here's my case so that you know what my needs are:

- In both cases I'll buy a used or refurbished one (the planet has already enough problems to have to handle my gadgets as well ) so the price range is 80-100 GBP for the 600 and 180-200 GBP for the 650.

- I realise that one of the major differences is the PDF locked zoom. This is an important issue as I have many PDFs but it seems from here that a solution is on the way.

- The other major difference is the screen. I will need the reader for working/studying which means I'll use it either in the train/home/office and not outside at the beach/park. Will I still have problems with the glare with the 600? I have seen many screen protectors advertised for eliminating glare, are they actually any good? And if they are, do they affect the touchscreen responsiveness?

- And the 3rd important thing is speed and responsiveness while adding notes. This is the main reason why I'm buying an eBook reader, I'm going to use heavily that feature. Do you think that the 600 is lagging when you type in or scribble your notes?

And finally do you guys think it is worth paying almost double the money to get the newer model? The difference will be felt on my budget so I wouldn't go for the more expensive one unless you guys feel it's necessary.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone with personal experience using any of the two readers.

Thanks in advance,
Alexandra

Last edited by sunlioness; 01-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
sunlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hallo sunlioness,

you should seriously go for one of the newer models. The touchscreen is way better! It responds to a whisper and is absolutly mat, which is important when reading with lamplight, too. Have you considered buying a 350? It is no so much smaller and costs you GBP 149 for a new one.

Regards Poppaea
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not used either reader but I have read about many a person who returned the 600 due to the glare. The touchscreen layer was highly reflective and the glare existed when reading indoors and outdoors. From everything I have read, the 650 is worth the extra money. The new touchscreen layer is not reflective, the Peral screen is great, and it seems like the 650 has done a better job with PDF's.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
If this was a comparison between the late PRS-300 versus the PRS-350, I would say that the 300 would be a good choice if you wanted to save some bucks since it is very similar to the PRS-505 I am currently using and am very happy with. But the difference between the PRS-600 and the PRS-650 is huge. The touch screen on the new units work far better than on the previous generation, the lack of glare, the blacker text (which provides better contrast), the better software (The PRS-650 handles ePubs better than the PRS-600), etc.

I recently got my wife the PRS-650 (and inherited her PRS-505) because it addresses all the complaints she had about the PRS-505 (specifically she thought the text was too grey, the unit was too heavy and she didn't like the small buttons; none of which bothers me in the slightest). She likes it quite a bit. I doubt she would have liked the PRS-600.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
+1 650
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I own both and would go for the 650 every time. Sony really dropped the ball with the screen on the 600 and the 650 is a massive improvement.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 650 has a considerably better screen as it uses Pearl and doe snot have a touch layer. Also, the IR touch is a lot easier to use and a lot more accurate. Plus, without the touch layer, the screen does not show fingerprints nearly as much. There is less reflection and glare as well. The 650 is faster and has a better user interface. There is no reason not to get a 650 vs a 600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I own both and would go for the 650 every time. Sony really dropped the ball with the screen on the 600 and the 650 is a massive improvement.
Ditto. I had a 600 and sold it because the screen was so damned murky. The 650 is a real treat to read. I can read the 650 at a smaller font.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
sunlioness
Enthusiast
sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sunlioness , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

WOW, I think the jury has a very clear conclusion on this!

I can't thank you enough guys and girls for making this decision so easy for me.

Now comes the hard part, finding a PRS-650 to buy. Here in the UK, as far as I can see it has been sold out so the only way of getting it, is through ebay from the US. The Buy-It-Now options are selling it for at least 240 GBP/380 USD which is again too expensive for me. And I'm not very familiar and comfortable with bidding :/

If you guys know of any US seller that ships over to this side of the Atlantic, please let me know. I found a Canadian store through this forum that sells it for only 206 CAD which is an amazing deal BUT they don't ship aborad
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I had both as well decided to give my 600 away as soon as I bought the 650. Like Bilbo said, Sony really dropped the ball with that screen.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlioness View Post
WOW, I think the jury has a very clear conclusion on this!

I can't thank you enough guys and girls for making this decision so easy for me.

Now comes the hard part, finding a PRS-650 to buy. Here in the UK, as far as I can see it has been sold out so the only way of getting it, is through ebay from the US. The Buy-It-Now options are selling it for at least 240 GBP/380 USD which is again too expensive for me. And I'm not very familiar and comfortable with bidding :/

If you guys know of any US seller that ships over to this side of the Atlantic, please let me know. I found a Canadian store through this forum that sells it for only 206 CAD which is an amazing deal BUT they don't ship aborad
Either have a look at the PRS-350 and take that or wait till the end of month. There is a rumor they will be back in store end of January.

Poppaea
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
sunlioness
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Either have a look at the PRS-350 and take that or wait till the end of month. There is a rumor they will be back in store end of January.

Poppaea
Well, I already have the PRS-300 (I won it in a poker tournament at work) and the size of it, although practical for carrying it, is not very practical for long hours of work - especially with PDFs.

And it feels kinda nuff to pay almost the same money for the PRS-350 as I would for the PRS-650 as the difference in price is only 30-50 GBP.

On the other hand, I'm not sure. I haven't used the PRS-350 but the size of the screen and its internal-memory-only feature seem as a big downside compared to the 650...

Do I sound confused?.. Maybe it's because I am
Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

So its clear, looks loke you'll have to wait a bit. Nothing wrong with that, its good for character development
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
sunlioness
Enthusiast

Sure
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Although already mentioned there's just one answer : PRS-650 !!
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote