Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Nook And Kindle Page Changing Question

I was in the local Barnes & Noble today messing with the Nook when I noticed one severe flaw that gets on my nerves and that is the way it changes pages. It looks like the next page emerges from underneath the prior and then it turns black, flashes and you have the next page. This all happens within a second or so but that emerging page and the flash annoy me. Im much more used to it seeming like a real sheet of paper, like it does when one uses Stanza on the iTouch or iPhone. I asked the man about this and he said that the Nook uses e-ink and all of the readers that use it change pages that way. Im not sure but I havent seen a Kindle in action. Those with a Kindle, does the page turn that way? Is it as annoying or is it just me?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you have a BN near you, you undoubtedly have a Target, or Best Buy as well.......they are now carrying Kindles, so you can see for yourself.

Personally, I don't notice any 'flash'....the pages turn to quickly.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
I don't know about the kindle, but the sony does the flashing thing too. I'm pretty sure it is an e-ink thing. The first time I saw it I didn't like it either, but I got used to it surprisingly fast.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
They all have some degree of "flash." It's how e-ink devices refresh the screen.

It may seem annoying at first, but most of us get used to it within a few days. I don't even notice it anymore.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
[QUOTE=desertgrandma;1199256]If you have a BN near you, you undoubtedly have a Target, or Best Buy as well.......they are now carrying Kindles, so you can see for yourself.

Seriously you must have a different Kindle then everyone else because all e-ink flashes when changing pages, or maybe your post was intentionally misleading.

Here is a YouTube of the kindle3 page turns, very fast but they do flash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7nbLl9X__o

The flash is inherent to e-ink screens. The Nook is getting an update this month that will increase page turn speed on the Nook. I have no idea if it will match the Kindle 3 which is nice and speedy but I am afraid the flash is part of the deal with e-ink, at least in current devices including the Kindle 3.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke66 View Post

Seriously you must have a different Kindle then everyone else because all e-ink flashes when changing pages, or maybe your post was intentionally misleading.
The flash is inherent to e-ink screens. The Nook is getting an update this month that will increase page turn speed on the Nook. I have no idea if it will match the Kindle 3 which is nice and speedy but I am afraid the flash is part of the deal with e-ink, at least in current devices including the Kindle 3.
Excuse me?

Perception is everything. When I am reading on my K3, I seriously do not see the flashes......the page turns very quickly, and I probably blink or something, or I"ve become so accustomed to it that it no longer registers.

Or maybe I'm so into the story it doesn't register.

My point is.....it may be there, but I don't have to see it.....

Now....when downloading books, there is some serious flashing going on as they arrive.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
My Kindle flashes like that when it changes pages. It doesn't bother me.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
NVash asked
“Those with a Kindle, does the page turn that way? Is it as annoying or is it just me?”

Desertgrandma replied
“Personally, I don't notice any 'flash'....the pages turn to quickly.”

This was clearly a question about how e-ink has a negative flash when resetting the screen for the next page. Your answer was clearly misleading to a person who is unaware of how e-ink devices work.

My point is you may have made a misleading statement but I do not have to agree with it…
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
All eInk screens work this way. It's not a computer screen, it's a completely different display technology altogether.

As others have mentioned, you get used to it very quickly.

If you are concerned, then just wait a few days before buying books for it. There are plenty of free books out there. If the flashes continue to bug you after a few days, you can return the device.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I find the flash no more irritating than turning a physical page. The last time I really noticed the flash was before the 3.0.3 upgrade when some Kindles were experiencing slow page turns when in very warm environments. On the whole, the flash doesn't really register to me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I find the flash no more irritating than turning a physical page. The last time I really noticed the flash was before the 3.0.3 upgrade when some Kindles were experiencing slow page turns when in very warm environments. On the whole, the flash doesn't really register to me.
Ditto
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
This was a main concern of mine when initially looking for an eReader after seeing the slower page turn of the Kobo. I don't even notice the page turn on my Kindle 3 anymore.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The k3 flashes, the Sony Prs-300 flashes. I'd imagine all e-ink devices flash when you turn the page. However I never notice it when using my Kindle or Sony. It happens so quickly.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I only notice the flash if I'm going from a graphics intensive page to another page (text or graphics). On older devices/firmware the "ghosting" effect was more annoying. This is when the page isn't completely refreshed and you can faintly see the previous page. On the Kindle Alt-G still works to refresh the screen.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
You know I have walked throughout both my local Target and Best Buy and havent seen so much as even an ad for a Kindle. I wasnt looking for it at the time but even so, something like that should stand out like a sore thumb. In Barnes & Noble they have a huge display and a kiosk in front of it with someone either standing there or next to it to help you out if you so desire. Its right in front of the entrance so you see it but even walking around the store its obvious its right there. Maybe these stores just prefer to let the Kindle sell itself since they arent affiliated with Amazon. Ill ask around next time and see if I can find it.

I also forgot to mention but I see its been said here already. The clerk told me of the update they should be getting soon which will make the Nooks pages turn faster. From looking at that video it seems the Kindle has it beat hands down. Maybe I had a faulty version but the thing looked like it moved in slow-motion.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote