Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJean View Post
I am really into touching and trying things before I buy them, that's part of the reason I picked the Sony originally - I could try it out ahead of time.

I'm going to start visiting stores and see what I find.
In that case, Best Buy might be your best spot for hands-on research - they generally have all their tablets powered up and unlocked so that you can mess around with them. At least the Best Buys in my area, anyways.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
In that case, Best Buy might be your best spot for hands-on research - they generally have all their tablets powered up and unlocked so that you can mess around with them. At least the Best Buys in my area, anyways.
That's where I'll be. The next two weeks will be filled with new toys!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
EricaJean
EricaJean began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket
Went to Frys...

Well the local discount electronics warehouse here is called Frys so I stopped by to look at the small tablets. Very interesting... of course none of them had any books loaded, although games and videos...
However since I already know I'll be able to download apps to read books, which I've already done with my phone, I'm pretty sure they'll all work pretty well.
I am kindof waiting to see what gets released just before Xmas... and maybe pick up a good deal.

In the meantime, my husband now wants a reader for his scientific papers. They're mostly (or all) PDFs, and he wants something to take with him to court while he's waiting to testify...

What's a good reader for PDFs?

EricaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty much any tablet that's good for anything else and which, of course, has Google Play. eInk readers, though, are to be avoided - they don't handle PDFs well at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Well the local discount electronics warehouse here is called Frys so I stopped by to look at the small tablets. Very interesting... of course none of them had any books loaded, although games and videos...
However since I already know I'll be able to download apps to read books, which I've already done with my phone, I'm pretty sure they'll all work pretty well.
I would suggest having a good look at the screen resolution and how your eyes respond to it before assuming this. Looking at fuzzy pixelated text for a long time (especially backlit, IMO) can be really unpleasant.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #21
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
In the meantime, my husband now wants a reader for his scientific papers. They're mostly (or all) PDFs, and he wants something to take with him to court while he's waiting to testify...

What's a good reader for PDFs?

ezPDF is pretty much the best PDF reader for Android and even has some EPUB support built in. The Sony reader app also supports PDF (in addition to its native EPUB). Aldiko also supports PDF although it's one of the premier EPUB apps for Android.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
EricaJean

Got Nexus 7 and like it.

So I got my Nexus 7 for Xmas and it's awesome!!!

I have to admit that the interface was a teeny bit confusing at first because it's not like my computer or my iPhone, but it didn't take long before I was familiar with it.

I got the 16MB Wifi version. I have already got a couple of books on it, but didn't even really do much reading because it was much fun playing with it!

Next.... there's a book reader that comes with it and you get books from Google Play, but I want to get books from whomever's cheaper... so - can i download different book readers?

If so, what are your best bets for reader apps?

Also, apparently just like my iPhone there are 50,000,000 apps and games to choose from. I am not a big gamer and I have lived about 55 years without of the the apps that are out there... but what do people recommend as useful apps?

Anyway, thanks thanks thanks for recommending the Nexus... I love it.

Erica
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Next.... there's a book reader that comes with it and you get books from Google Play, but I want to get books from whomever's cheaper... so - can i download different book readers?
Yeah, the apps for the other major sellers (Amazon, Kobo and, in some places, Barnes & Noble - plus the Overdrive Media Console for when you want to borrow ebooks from the library, if your local one has a digital program) are on Google Play. You're not locked in to Google for any of your consumption - music, books, or movies/TV.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
EricaJean

!

Yeah, since yesterday I've read a bunch of advice on various android forums and boy are there choicesQ
Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #25
EricaJean

Yeah, since yesterday I've read a bunch of advice on various android forums and boy are there choices!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
For reading I personally prefer Moon+ it's one of the better readers out there.

App recommendations:
SwiftKey: a great keyboard to type with.
K9: Mail client
Currents: Google content aggregate provides feeds in for of magazines
Plus: content aggregate with icon ui.
Tapatalk: a must have app if you visit forums. (I'm using it to surf this forum)
Word processor: Docs to go, office suit. Quickoffice
Evernote

Last edited by =X=; 12-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote